Dashhawk?

CALPATHY

Well, according to its description, it should be very easy to install. Plugs right into the OBDII port under the dash. It sounds like it will give you realtime info on what the sensors are doing. Cant see much of a performance additive in it, but at least you will know what it going on!

Yeah, I have a Scan Gauge II in my Pathy and in my Mazdaspeed6. The DashHawk can display a lot more parameters, but most of them don't seem to be especially useful for daily driving. And as tmorgan4 mentioned, the DashHawk is about twice the price of a Scan Gauge, and there's a group buy for the SGII currently going on at Mazda6club. If you go to the vendor's website and enter the promo code from the Group Buy, you can get a pretty significant discount on the SGII.

Another advantage of the Scan Gauge is that it will show your fuel economy and allow you to correct for different tire sizes. In the Pathy, I use it to display MPG, Volts, Coolant Temp, and one other sensor (such as Calculated Engine Load, Intake Air Temp, MPH, TPS, or MAP) depending on conditions.

Edited by XPLORx4

Yeah, I have a Scan Gauge II in my Pathy and in my Mazdaspeed6. The DashHawk can display a lot more parameters, but most of them don't seem to be especially useful for daily driving. And as tmorgan4 mentioned, the DashHawk is about twice the price of a Scan Gauge, and there's a group buy for the SGII currently going on at Mazda6club. If you go to the vendor's website and enter the promo code from the Group Buy, you can get a pretty significant discount on the SGII.

Another advantage of the Scan Gauge is that it will show your fuel economy and allow you to correct for different tire sizes. In the Pathy, I use it to display MPG, Volts, Coolant Temp, and one other sensor (such as Calculated Engine Load, Intake Air Temp, MPH, TPS, or MAP) depending on conditions.

Thank you for all the responses, I took a look at at the Scan Guage II and it doesn't have oil pressure reading, something I would like to have and the Dashhawk does, but I am not sure if the Pathy sends that information. Would anyone know what information does the OBDII send (in 97' Pathy)?

BTW, I am not relly looking for performance enhancement features (I really could care less about the 1/4 mile readings), I would just like to have all instrumentation (WT, OP and Voltage) in units, rather than some arbitrary mark or curve.

The Pathy does not send oil pressure via OBDII, so even though the DashHawk supports this sensor, it will be blank when it's connected to the Pathfinder. Other vehicles may provide this sensor via OBDII, which is why the DashHawk supports it.

If you want to pay $300+ for a unit to tell you what the water temp, oil pressure and voltage is, I've also got a bridge in New York to sell, cheap...

How much for the bridge? :(

It wouldn't have been just for that, but those instruments would have talked me into it since the installation would have so easy.

XPLORx4

The Pathy does not send oil pressure via OBDII, so even though the DashHawk supports this sensor, it will be blank when it's connected to the Pathfinder. Other vehicles may provide this sensor via OBDII, which is why the DashHawk supports it.

Thank you that is what I needed to know. 

vengeful Posted on Feb 12 2007, 11:47 AM

Or, you could do it the cool way and put the 3 gauges up your A-Pillar....

That was my original intention. I may ge the Scan Guage later, after the guages and Warn hubs.

I was checking the scanguage website and didn't see info on correcting for tire size. http://www.scangauge.com/features/ How do you enter that and does it work correctly? Does it come with a flush mount kit? I was going to get a nissan-consult reader for my laptop but this should do everthing I need (I really just want an easy to see way to tell my corrected MPH in real-time after going with bigger tires, and occasionally reading codes).

I answered my own question by finding a copy of the manual here http://www.thegadgethome.com/scangauge/scangauge.pdf

You can enter percentage speedo correction. You can also change the backlight colors and the unit is a small black rectangle that doesn't look too bad. You can select any 4 gauges at once to display. However, the mounting is with velcro. You'd have to get creative for something like a flush mount.

Does their OBDII connector hook directly up to our nissan-consult connector or do you need an adapter?

I answered my own question by finding a copy of the manual here http://www.thegadgethome.com/scangauge/scangauge.pdf

You can enter percentage speedo correction. You can also change the backlight colors and the unit is a small black rectangle that doesn't look too bad. You can select any 4 gauges at once to display. However, the mounting is with velcro. You'd have to get creative for something like a flush mount.

Does their OBDII connector hook directly up to our nissan-consult connector or do you need an adapter?

In the same manual (for which you gave a link) it says it hooks up directly.

The SGII connects to the OBDII connector under the dash. And yeah, you would have to get pretty creative to flush-mount it. One cool thing about the device is that it has connectors on the right side and back side (both do the same thing), so you can use whichever connector makes your installation look cleaner.

In my Mazda, I use the right-side connector. In the Pathy, I use the rear connector.

Unfortunately, AT temp or t-case temp is not something that the PCM provides via OBDII, so even if the SGII could display it, it would be blank on our vehicles.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering if it was sent by OBDII or not.

Thanks, that is what I was wondering if it was sent by OBDII or not.

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that OBDII was created essentially for emissions-control diagnostics, and not much else. Whenever you get a CEL, it has to do with something that affects emissions controls or driveability (which indirectly affects emissions).

Information like transmission temperature is not monitored by OBDII. However, as Derrick mentioned, the Nissan CONSULT diagnostic tool has access to all of the control modules, including the PCM and TCM. But that tool is quite expensive, and isn't really designed for daily use while driving like the SGII is.

Since I've been using the SGII to monitor ECT (engine coolant temp), I thought it might be interesting to use the regular temperature gauge in the cluster to monitor AT temp. However, the gauge is pretty inaccurate, staying in the middle between about 175°F and 225°F. That's just not accurate enough for AT temp.

I got in on the group buy and now I have a couple of questions. First where is this OBDII located and is it a direct plug and play?I know I won't get this until the end of the month but it would be nice to know where thing's are and how they work. I'm pretty green when it comes to electronics.

Thank's

Kevin

I got in on the group buy and now I have a couple of questions. First where is this OBDII located and is it a direct plug and play?I know I won't get this until the end of the month but it would be nice to know where thing's are and how they work. I'm pretty green when it comes to electronics.

Thank's

Kevin

The OBDII connector is a D-shaped connector about 3/4" x 1-1/2", and is located under the dashboard below the steering column. It's pretty easy to spot.

The SGII plugs directly into the OBDII plug, and immediately establishes a connection. It gets its power from the OBDII plug.