Helloooooooo California!

Slick

Could always use another 5 speed. All though I have a brand new one so as long as I take care of it by changing the oil and using the correct oil I think it would last me quite a long time. I would love to have the back yard space back. Ofcourse when working on my pathy it is nice to have a parts car handy. I am almost done with upgrading my pathfinder as soon as it is done I will not be needing the parts car.

Mark

well, i have put in an offer on the pathy we went to see yesterday. it is beautiful (except the front end) inside and out. not 1 door ding, no scratches, fully loaded SE..... real nice truck, and runs like a dream. quiet as a mouse. all wheel disk, so i can do a disk conversion on mini (full axle swap) ....

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you gonna take on truck hill? I finally saw it and staying far away from it. haha

Truck hill will be my first order of business with the new lockers. I will be going camping the first week of July in the Sonora area but that will not be much of a test, But that won't keep me from trying.

Mark

well, i have put in an offer on the pathy we went to see yesterday. it is beautiful (except the front end) inside and out. not 1 door ding, no scratches, fully loaded SE..... real nice truck, and runs like a dream. quiet as a mouse. all wheel disk, so i can do a disk conversion on mini (full axle swap) ....

All the power to ya. Since you seem to be collecting pathy's you may still be interested later.

Mark

Truck hill will be my first order of business with the new lockers. I will be going camping the first week of July in the Sonora area but that will not be much of a test, But that won't keep me from trying.

Mark

Truck Hill at Hollister? You don't need lockers for that. You need gears.

You need lockers for upper Fremontia/White Rock trail.

IMG_0709%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0719%20(Small).JPG

Edited by XPLORx4

IMG_0709%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0719%20(Small).JPG

lol. That's where I got! I was thinking about it going up, but then I got scared and took another path some how finding the earier way. But it was quite the trail! In the picture, it looks mellow. But its really like the frame twister. Dips left right left right left all the way up. And parallel to that trail is a skinny trail with tons of loose rocks. Have fun!

Still won't keep me from trying. Although upper fremontia white rock looks more my style anyways. just want to have a bite at truck hill. I knew I did not even have a chance without lockers.

Mark

IMG_0709%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0719%20(Small).JPG

All the power to ya. Since you seem to be collecting pathy's you may still be interested later.

Mark

i am interested now. she had "$800 for whole truck" IN the ad, but on the header wanted $1200. well, i offered $800 this morning, and by 1pm she had changed the ad to $1200... so she can shove that pathy where the sun don't shine..... so if oyu still feel the need to be "rid" of oyurs, i am vurry interested.... indeed. :beer:

hey, mark, how is the parts pathy's ECU? is there any chance i can borrow it to test it on king to see if his is up the spout?

hey, mark, how is the parts pathy's ECU? is there any chance i can borrow it to test it on king to see if his is up the spout?

slick, you have more posts than anybody on any thread i have ever seen.

I've had a few, and was reading through the board, came accross this thread, saw how many posts you had and thought i'd just let you know.

back to your nomal sesion :tonguefinger:

Nothing wrong with it that I know of. Unless the rats messed it up. if you want to borrow it that is fine. Make me an offer on the pathfinder. I certainly would do not expect anything near $800 since it does not run and there is no telling what was stolen off the thing. was thinking more of the $400.00 range. I know pick n pull was willing to pay $150. I have all the paperwork from the engine repair shop and the transmission shop. Let me know. I Have been looking for a bad ecu to scavenge the connector off of. Thought about taking the one off My parts pathy but could not bring myself to ruin a perfectly good ecu. even if i can't use it since mine is a 5 speed.

Mark

Things to do list:

Clean the house....check

Pay bills.... check

grocery shopping.....check

Own 4 pathfinders at once...........

...................................check.

just want to have a bite at truck hill. I knew I did not even have a chance without lockers.

Huh? You can totally do Truck Hill without lockers! At least, you could the last time I was there. It wasn't moguled or rutted at all.

Truck Hill isn't about lockers; it's about steady progress, weight transfer, tire tread, and contact patch (i.e. traction).

I don't think I've ever needed to use my lockers on Truck Hill. I don't understand why you think you'd need to.

The point is: Go do Truck Hill now! Be careful not to put too much faith in a locking diff to get through every obstacle. In many cases, it may not help.

Huh? You can totally do Truck Hill without lockers! At least, you could the last time I was there. It wasn't moguled or rutted at all.

Truck Hill isn't about lockers; it's about steady progress, weight transfer, tire tread, and contact patch (i.e. traction).

I don't think I've ever needed to use my lockers on Truck Hill. I don't understand why you think you'd need to.

The point is: Go do Truck Hill now! Be careful not to put too much faith in a locking diff to get through every obstacle. In many cases, it may not help.

steady motion and traction? All the attempts to climb that hill that i have seen (video or in person) ever one of them pinned the gas was was swaying left and right. I didnt see any traction, just a lot of dust! haha

Edited by Enjoi408

My thought is to use the lockers only when I can't get through an obstacle. I may use the rear when wheeling but the front will be used once I am stuck. It will make me a better wheeler to use them like a recovery tool such as a winch. I figures the locker would give me better traction when climbing. I know that our pathfinders 4 wheel low is pretty low (unless you are saying they are not low enough.) Truck hill looked to me like the dirt was loose and that i would have a hard time keeping traction going up. I probably should have tried it first. However having the recovery equipment will give me confidence that for some reason I get stuck I can get myself out.

Mark

From my experience, lockers are useful when one or more of your tires are in the air or losing traction. If you're on truck hill climbing, there arent really much ruts on that hill nor your tires should be in the air. So you would have full traction to the tires anyways making the lockers sorta useless. Like Dean said, traction and steady is your friend!

even if you have all 4 wheels on teh ground can still lose traction if its really steep.. lockers will help a lot when its really steep.. my friend who is open/open was having SO much trouble on a hill that i had no problem on and i only have an LSD in the rear

From my experience, lockers are useful when one or more of your tires are in the air or losing traction. If you're on truck hill climbing, there arent really much ruts on that hill nor your tires should be in the air. So you would have full traction to the tires anyways making the lockers sorta useless. Like Dean said, traction and steady is your friend!

Lockers will also keep both wheels on the axle rotating at the same speed. with an open diff or even a LSD the tires can rotate at different speeds causing the vehicle to go toward the side that is spinning faster. This is only my take on the concept since I have not actually wheeled with my lockers yet, and have a pretty limited wheeling experience.

Mark

slick, you have more posts than anybody on any thread i have ever seen.

I've had a few, and was reading through the board, came accross this thread, saw how many posts you had and thought i'd just let you know.

back to your nomal sesion :tonguefinger:

gee, thanks for the heads up :blink: remind me NOT to post anymore........ :lmao:

:tongue:

Edited by Slick

Nothing wrong with it that I know of. Unless the rats messed it up. if you want to borrow it that is fine. Make me an offer on the pathfinder. I certainly would do not expect anything near $800 since it does not run and there is no telling what was stolen off the thing. was thinking more of the $400.00 range. I know pick n pull was willing to pay $150. I have all the paperwork from the engine repair shop and the transmission shop. Let me know. I Have been looking for a bad ecu to scavenge the connector off of. Thought about taking the one off My parts pathy but could not bring myself to ruin a perfectly good ecu. even if i can't use it since mine is a 5 speed.

Mark

i tell ya what, call it $300, plus, i will give you piglets ecu.... she's a 5 speed :)

steady motion and traction? All the attempts to climb that hill that i have seen (video or in person) ever one of them pinned the gas was was swaying left and right. I didnt see any traction, just a lot of dust! haha

and i bet they were the ones who never made it? remember what i taught you on that steep hill climb with your puny tires? steady gas, not too hard, STEADY. i made it in my jeep wrangler with no lockers on 33" BFG mudders...... i was steady ont he gas, didn't stop, and didn't peg it.

Ok. I know that technology is a good thing. We are always growing and stepping it up. But I have seen movies where technology will eventually lead to our downfall. That's an over exaggeration of an idea. Personally, I love technology BUT I dont trust it 100%. With that in mind, WHAT IS WITH THIS!??!!

IMAGE_00102.jpg

and i bet they were the ones who never made it? remember what i taught you on that steep hill climb with your puny tires? steady gas, not too hard, STEADY. i made it in my jeep wrangler with no lockers on 33" BFG mudders...... i was steady ont he gas, didn't stop, and didn't peg it.

I agree with you. But they made it....only god knows how....

Steady is key. I was yanking front wheel drive imports from our camping spot this last weekend on very steep and slippery road that saw a lot of rain. The only one to make it on its own was a V6 Accord that had decent power and a driver with a steady foot, and he had to saw the wheels for last few feet into mud. The rest either gunned it and spun at the bottom or in the turn costing speed, or went slow and then gunned it half way up. The point being, solid consistent throttle and common sense usually prevails.

That being said, everybody was shocked that I could gently pull both the other cars backward to the top (the only good mounting point), no drama, simply in 4-low and 1st gear with a rear LockRight locker and 3000 RPM+ on the tach. That's the money spot on my truck at least, pull 3000+ and I could pull over a house.