1999 Dodge Durango

5523Pathfinder

Hey fellas and ladies, got a quick question. Has anyone owned a Dodge Durango? My buddy is looking at buying one because he cant find a desent Pathfinder. I looked at it today for any mechanical problems and it look ok(few small oil leaks). Like I said, I need to know the good, bad, ugly or whatever. The Big Guy in the Sky knows that I will be working on it for him. And yes, I know its a Dodge(Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere). Ok, let me have it! Its a 1999 w/magnum V-8, 4x4, auto.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

DOnt touch it, braking system SUCKS. My dad had a 00 bought brand new fully loaded, worst car ever, traded it in a year later for an RX300.

Biggest thing was, when he would hit the breaks the car would lunge foward then stop.

Edited by nycxice13

Ok, good.  The truck has 118,000 miles on it so I am not suprised by a few leaks.  They are pretty minor like around the oil pan.  I dont like dodges either, but its his choice and his money.

My buddy has a 99...2 trannies later he hates it with a passion. Didn't those things get ripped apart by consumer reports for reliability? I heard the internals are made of toothpicks...

I'd steer clear, VERY clear.

OMG 118K?? Have him put his $$ somewhere else.

Edited by navygz19

I looked at a Durango once before I bought our pathy because I wanted the big v-8 in a mid-sized SUV. The salesman himself told me they were junk especially if yo uget one used. I kinda figured he was trying to upsell me but that was not the case as the next thing he tried to sell me was a ford exploder!!! Plus if it is dripping oil already then I would stay clear. The one thing I like about them is how good they sound with a nice set of flowmasters on them!!!

Just to give you an idea. I've got 118k on my 99 Pathy. It uses absolutely zero oil between changes, never drips anything (except mud), and I have never once had a serious problem with it...

The biggest problem I've had with it is a gummed up IACV valve. Thank you K&N! Those jerks with their oiled filters...

You should have seen the crap buildup on my intake manifold...holy cow!

I've had a few problems that I would categorize under the minor annoyance category. EVAP issues, Oxygen sensor, minor stuff like that...

Stay away from that Durango...

See, I know Nissans very well(being that I work on them everyday). the problem lies is that he can not find a pathfinder in his price range, $4000-6000. I know that sounds crazy but he is having a hard time finding a decent rig. Everything he has looked at has 200k plus miles, needs everything or has been into a accident and wasnt repaired properly. Having the money to repair stuff right away isnt a option. But I can plead for a Nissan all day, but its his choice. That is why I need info and I pass it on. Ok, anybody got a 94-95 Pathfinder they want to sell? Thanks for all the help and please continue to add your 2 cents.

Ok, a pathfinder in the seattle/tacoma/olympia area. Oh yeah, he cant drive a clutch either. Searched all over Craigslist, autotrader.com, cars.com, autopages. There are more vehicle for sale out there than what are listed.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

He doesnt like to drive a clutch with the amount of driving everyday, hes a commuter, but needs a suv. Thank you once again for all the replies. Its hard to speak and argue for other people. I emailed him this topic so we will see. Thanks again!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Ball joints! Keep a very close eye on them. The NHTSA is! Both the Dakota and Durango were affected with very marginal designs. Some were replaced under warranty, but most were not. The media never latched on to it.

There have been quite a few that have come apart. But they will give you plenty of warning.

Our friends have over 150K miles on theirs with only ball joint problems.

Durangos are trash...

Oh yeah, he cant drive a clutch either.

Auto drivers are trash...

He should buy an auto Durango so it matches. That way both he and it will simultaniously clog our freeways and hospital rooms due to not paying attention to driving and engineering.

B

P.S. Yes, I'm in a bad mood.