Stuck on oil filter

PathFound

Last weekend I did the first oil change in my '91 Pathfinder. I drained the oil, plugged it back up, then tried to remove the oil filter. First I tried a Strap type oil filter wrench. Not much luck there. It is then that I realized the oil filter is in a real awkward place compared to other vehicles I've had experience with. I tried a Cap type oil filter wrench. Still wouldn't come off! I mucked around with it for almost an hour. Surely the oil filter was installed too tightly. The only alternate solution (from my Chilton's manual) is to punch a hole in the filter to unscrew it. I didn't want to do that because I didn't have the proper punch tool. And I didn't want to have an undriveable truck with a hole in the stuck on oil filter.

I left the old filter on and just put in new oil. My next oil change will be soon - maybe 3000 km.

Has anyone had experience with a stuck on oil fitler? How did you get it off? This was very frustrating for such a simple job.

Thanks

A friend of mine had to remove his (on a yota) peice by piece ones.. he ripped it off in small sections by gripping and tearing with channel locks.

Took some work and caution but he was able to get it off. It was that trucks first oil change after he bought it too :shrug:

I have had some tough ones but after much work have been lucky enough to get them off with a band wrench (name?) or using both hands and squeezing/twisting as had as I could.

Edited by RedPath88

no proper punch tool? do you own a phillips screwdriver? :D

seriously though.. i have done that more then once and one was so tough that i ended up twisting the filter with the screwdriver.. the filter eventually disintegrated and i had to pretty much disassemble the thing and when it was almost all gone the threads decided to let loose so the rest just spun off.. my guess it was on way too tight..

i normally put the new filter on only snug.. the main trick is to "wet" the gasket with some USED oil first.

no proper punch tool? do you own a phillips screwdriver?

heh i was going to ask the same thing...my roommate has this 3 prong adjusting oil filter remover and it works charms i hemanned my oilfilter on about a month ago and couldnt get it off without that thing and i didnt wanna punch and spill more oil although i've done that in the past...

I screwdrivered the one off my old Chevy Wagon. I don't think the oil had been changed in years on that when I bought it (besides the fact it used oil, so it got a fresh quart with every other fill up :wacko: ). Thing is, it was so tight I basically cut the end off the filter trying to turn it with the screwdriver, ended up tapping it around by the oil passege holes till it was loose enough to spin off.

I just use a strap wrench when mine gets tight. It's only happened 2 or 3 times where I've had to use it. Just need to break it loose. It was probably installed without oil on the gasket.

mzxtreme; why do you you say to use USED oil specifically? I always use new oil for this, and always have.....what's the benefit of using old oil?

I hate to say this but.....

You are loosening the filter and not tightening it to remove it???

Lefty (counter clockwise) Lucy, Righty (Clockwise) Tighty... The last time I had a jiffy lube change my oil, the guy underneath was tightening it and screaming it would not come off.....

I think a point-end punch might work better than a Phillips screwdriver. But the screwdriver would work too I guess.

CaseyT.: Yes, I tried to inscrew it counterclockwise. Thing is just too tight. It would help if the frame wasn't in the way. It's a tight spot for an oil filter and I can see that the oil coming out is gonna go everywhere!

mzxtreme; why do you you say to use USED oil specifically? I always use new oil for this, and always have.....what's the benefit of using old oil?

well, it's burned already and seems to do way better then new oil.. i have never had a problem when i have used used oil... when i have used fresh oil, sometimes it will burn itself tight and then doesn't want to come off.. when i was way younger and just started to get into cars, some old guy told me to do so.. over the years i have tried both ways and he was right about the old oil..

You dont want to get any on the starter

it cant hurt it that bad...mine gets coated every time b/c i dont put rags on it...maybe i should but i dont...

i've always used new oil and never had a problem but i guess it makes more sense to use old...

this might seem a lil crazy but try to tighten up a lil more to break the seal then loosen it up... :shrug:

well, it's burned already and seems to do way better then new oil.. i have never had a problem when i have used used oil... when i have used fresh oil, sometimes it will burn itself tight and then doesn't want to come off.. when i was way younger and just started to get into cars, some old guy told me to do so.. over the years i have tried both ways and he was right about the old oil..

Well, sh!t. Learn something new every day. I've never really had an issue using new oil, but I guess it can happen. Hopefully by the next oil change, I remember this advice.

:beer: