LSD on 97 pathy?

Guest prlim2000

Guest prlim2000

This sounds like a stupid question but I dont know if my rear diff on our 97 pathy SE 4x4 came with LSD originally? :shrug: I dont see any marking on the housing or anything. But on the manual it said to buy a different lube if you have an LSD? I cant wait for snow to come to see if I have one or not.

Just curious...coz I'm changing the lube tonight and wanna stop by a store from work to get LSD Diff Lube.

Jack up the rear end so both wheels are off the ground, put it in Neutral and spin one of the wheels.....

If the other tire goes in the same direction you are spinning you have a LSD>>>

If it spins in the opposite directions its OPEN....

Fastest and easist way I know, out side of the Sticker being on there... Even with a sticker I would check it...

Guest prlim2000

oh...ok...thanks guys.

oooops but I forgot...I wanted to find out b4 i got home...coz i want to pass by the store and get some oil.

Guest prlim2000

Never mind...went outside from work and I peeled out in the parking lot and saw both skid marks...i guess i have LSD! thanks anyways

Guest prlim2000

Reallly!?...Ok...i guess i'll call the dealership. They like to put people on hold for a very long time...I guess I have no choice than.

it doesnt really matter what gear oil you put in the diffs anyways. just put in some GL-4 and call it good.

Actually, the diffs require GL-5, not GL-4.

I'll be draining and refilling with some Amsoil GL-5 80-90W soon.

Edited by XPLORx4

Guest pyrophilus

In the 96-99 R50's, the LSD was part of the Off-road package.

My old 97 Se had the LSD, and to get it, I had to:

get the off-road package which included all-black (no chrome) bumpers, and LSD.

It was weird, because in those models, the base XE had all-black bumpers with NO LSD, whereas you knew you got the "upgraded" SE model if it had chrome bumper tops. But then if you upgraded the SE with the off-road package, it gave you BACK the black bumpers of base XE! go figure.

I believe the XE's had NO LSD available, and if you got the "sports package" for the XE, it gave you the chrome bumpers of the base SE.

go figure.

Anyway, if you have a SE badging, chrome on bumper = NO LSD. all black bumpers = LSD.

Of course, like I said, if you do not have any badging (SE or LE), it means you have an XE, which means there is NO LSD whatsoever...

My 2001 SE has LSD, but I believe in 2002, they dropped the viscous LSD in favor of vehicle stability control system. Glad that I have an 01...

I have a XE no badging whatsoever. I do not know if I have the sport package,off-road package or whatever, All I know is it has black bumpers all-power, 4x4. I see one sticker on the diff but it is crusty and I can not make out wither it says use LSD oil. I will check on whether it has LSD but I doubt it. Heck I do not even know if it comes with keyless entry or not since it had an aftermarket alarm when I bought it. (I have since gotten rid of the aftermarket alarm and thus lost my keyless entry :( )

I have a XE no badging whatsoever. I do not know if I have the sport package,off-road package or whatever, All I know is it has black bumpers all-power, 4x4. I see one sticker on the diff but it is crusty and I can not make out wither it says use LSD oil. I will check on whether it has LSD but I doubt it. Heck I do not even know if it comes with keyless entry or not since it had an aftermarket alarm when I bought it. (I have since gotten rid of the aftermarket alarm and thus lost my keyless entry :( )

If the sticker is orange (or appears it may have been) then good chance you have LSD even if you can not read it.

Not sure of any other sticker that would have been put on except the LSD one. Maybe LSD was available as a stand alone option? So do not necessarily need a "package"?

I doubt you have the sports package with your XE. That package came with the LSD, but also the fender flares, fog lights and rear wind deflector. I don't see fender flares in your pic, and its hard to see whether you have any original fog lights.

Well there are no fog lights on my bit&^. Wish there were. So I guess my rig is the bare minimum pathy ;). And I will check again on the sticker when I test the diff trainman.

You can also look at the ID mark on top of the diff. Should be about 1" high letters and numbers right on top of the diff. The first two characters should tell you what you have:

CR 4.363

CT 4.363 LSD

CV 4.636

CX 4.636 LSD

Not sure what other years 96+ this applies to, but should be right for your 97.

I have a 96 SE with chrome bumpers, fender flares, factory fogs, rear wind deflector, and it has an LSD. I know because I checkd it today while the truck was up on a lift. Both wheels spun the same way when I turned one or the other. This whole package deal is rather confusing, best way is just to check it by hand. Don't rely on stickers or "packages"

According to the owner's manual, There was also an option in 96 for a "tunable suspension", which had a switch in the cabin beside the rear wiper and heated seats. This switch flipped between Sport and Comfort modes. I don't have it, nor do I have the offroad package (according to my rusted out chrome bumpers). Anyone know if that was part of the offroad package?