Boycott, blacklist, etc.

The Drift

We've all got them

Companies that just keep pissing us off, screwing up, etc.

I have 2 that I was just reminded of upon checking my bank statement. Both of them are dial up internet providers (coincidence?) from when I used to leave in the boonies and that's all I could get.

Numero Uno- AOL Continued to bill me for months. I called on a monthly basis requesting that I be refunded and they cancel my account. I finally stopped being billed upon closing my checking account, because I was opening a new one. 6 months later I was sent to collections for the 6 months that the account had been closed and they continued to try billing me. I ended up beating that one, but I cannot remember how.

Numero dos- NetZero. I will be filing a report with the Better Business Bureau on these guys. I moved away from the boonies about 2 years and 2 months ago. 2 years and 2 months ago I cancelled my account b/c I could finally get highspeed where I lived. 2 months later I was billed for my yearly fee. Automatically debited and "non refundable" I called, complained, recieved my confirmation number of cancellation. 1 year later, sure enough another charge on my bank statement. Of course by then I have no clue what I did with the conf. number. Netzero was long forgotten by me. I call complain, cancel, and yes that charge is still "non refundable" Today I take a look at my bank statement and lo and behold Netzero is dabbling in my account taking it's money again. Wow, amazing. So I call, and tell them to check the account. The one I haven't logged into in 2 years and 2 months. Sure enough they can confirm that. So I tell them now can you cancel my damn account? Sure enough they give me the retention schpiel, just what I want to hear from money swindling bastards of a service I am no cancelling for the 3rd time. After being told about the "non-refundable" fee for a third time I ask to speak with a manager. Suddnely my fee is refundable, I'll see it show up within 1-2 months. WTF???? I recieve now the third confirmation number of my cancellation of this account. Looks like I have another complaint to file with the BBB. Any bets on me being charged again next year LOL?

Ok your turn. Any companies you are absolutely DONE with?

Oh yes...lots....

1) CALMINI! - A friend of mine ordered a set of 2" lift shackles from them for his Frontier. He was deployed to Iraq about 2 months after placing his order. He had still NOT received them. I called to inquire. They said that they were waiting for more orders for the Shackles so they could fabricate them. :blink: Um...right. I told them that these are for a friend of mine who is deployed in Iraq, and I wanted to have them installed before he got back for Leave at the holidays. The guy starts giving me the 3rd degree. "Oh they're for your friend's truck huh? What do you drive? Blah Blah Blah" I tell him that's none of his damn business but he was very insistent. So I told him that I would never order anything from Calmini, because their products are shxt and they don't even make anything for my Pathfinder anways. He started laughing, and then said..."Only F----ts and a----les with small d--ks drive Pathfinders!!" I said, Go F yourself, I'm ordering from SLR. Ordered the shackles from SLR, got them 3 days later, with free shipping!

2) VERIZON - I got a new phone with Sprint - but kept my same phone number. My account with Verizon was expiring at the end of that month. I bought the new phone on the 24th of a 30 day month. With 5 days left on my account, Verizon charged me a $475 Early-Termination Fee. I called them up and said...No. I didn't terminate my account early. There are 5 days left on my contract. DON'T RENEW IT! I'm switching carriers because you guys suck. They renewed it anyways, and then charged me ANOTHER $475 Early-Termination fee - for a total of $950 in Early-Termination fees. Eventually, they owned up to their screw-up, waived the fees (they made a HUGE DEAL about doing me a BIG FAVOR by doing this....Oh, yeah, you're doing me a BIG FAVOR by screwing up, not listening to me, renewing my contract when I specifically told you not to (which, by the way Mr. Verizon Manager Man, I have the telephone conversations in which I asked that my contract not be renewed, and was acknowledged by your employees RECORDED!)...and there were only 5 days left on my Contract! Sprint ROCKS!

There are many many more....I'll continue later.

AOL for the same reason. Also for their stupid Travel Plus thing they decided to enroll me in without asking then charging me for 3 years (like your NetZero thing) after I canceled.

Donatos Pizza; My wife and I dropped our land line about 4 years ago and went cable internet and cell phone. We order pizza delivery for all that time with the cell. Then one night we try and order (mind you they have a computer with all info stored based on phone #) and they say they won't deliver becuase we are using a cell :angry: . So, even though they have delivered to us for years calling from the same cell and address they WON'T deliver anymore because we call on a cell.

Best Buy; For trying to charge a re-stocking fee on a defective product I returned. First they wanted to give me a trade for another, I told them hell no, this one is a POS, why would I want another POS that might be a defect, I want to get a better one this time, I want to get my money back. They took the fee off, but only after 30 min of bitching at them. If they want someone to pay for the trouble of the product being defective, then look at the manufacturer not me a$$holes! Luckily I had paid with a CC so they had to put the charge back on it, I'm sure I would have gotten a gift card for Best Buy otherwise. I went somewhere else and bought what I needed.

I got more, but those were my biggest pssd in recent history.

I have a simple solution for those re-occuring debits... I have one account that I have a CC on, I have the card set up to expire annually. Its a Pain 1x per year but I dont have any re-occuring debits from the likes of Verizon, Cricket and AOL.

I had an insurance company several years ago that I had canceled, and they continued to debit.... Was a royal pain in the a$$..

Depending on your CC provider you can also call in and report a unauthorized transaction....

Ok...one more - and then I really have to get back to work...

The Washington Redskins - My family has had season tickets with them since Griffith Stadium. My Grandfather hand-picked the seats at Griffith and RFK. My dad and I hand-picked the seats at the new stadium.

This year, when renewal comes around, they conveniently forgot to send us our renewal notice, and conveniently sent it so it would arrive the day after the renewal was due. We had perfect seats. For Dallas games, we could easily get $800/ticket on eBay. My dad called the day he got the letter, and they had already given up our seats. Bastards!!!! :furious:

When my son was about 2, I went looking for a waggon for him. Tried a local hardware store, they did not have any, not interested in getting any. But they had a GREAT suggestion: use a beer cooler on wheels, when he acts up just flip the lid down until he settles down.

They just howled with laughter as I walked out the door. Did not go back until there was new ownership and new staff. Now it is the best hardware store in town.

Ok...one more - and then I really have to get back to work...

The Washington Redskins - My family has had season tickets with them since Griffith Stadium. My Grandfather hand-picked the seats at Griffith and RFK. My dad and I hand-picked the seats at the new stadium.

This year, when renewal comes around, they conveniently forgot to send us our renewal notice, and conveniently sent it so it would arrive the day after the renewal was due. We had perfect seats. For Dallas games, we could easily get $800/ticket on eBay. My dad called the day he got the letter, and they had already given up our seats. Bastards!!!! :furious:

The redskins suck anyways.

lol

But they had a GREAT suggestion: use a beer cooler on wheels, when he acts up just flip the lid down until he settles down.

:shrug: Would be my suggestion too, though I would highly recommend the lid closed in all public places as well. :D

Nextel/Sprint

Every month for the last 2 years I get double billed....One bill is my normal one the n I get one the next week for double and late charges :crazy: I call every month and it still hasent been resolved, so I get to waste 30 minutes of my time every month talking to this person then that person then the office manager.

DISH NETWORK!

They did not consider DEATH to be an adequate reason to cancel service. And they do not consider REPEATED WRITTEN NOTICES in the payment to be adequate notice of desire to cancel. The payment acceptance department is not authorized to read notes or forward to people who can cancel the account.

If you want to cancel, you MUST call them, wait on hold for two hours for someone to transfer you to cancelation department, wait on hold another two hours, and then talk to clueless sales people who don't understand why you want to cancel service just because the customer is DEAD. Any other form of communication is NOT considered acceptable by them.

I have never been so blown away by such horrid customer service policies....

Please consider yourself warned, and forward to your friends.

Edited by mws

AAMCO.. took a 72 le-mans there for a free estimate, ended up being way way more than I could afford. later on, I'm parked downtown, and when I pop it into gear, it goes nowhere. Now, recently it had been leaking like a sieve, so I figured it was low on tranny fluid. my fault, I didn't check, and walked home (7 or 8 miles from where I was) since it was pretty damn late, and all the parts stores were closed. Sister in law gives me a ride back, and I start dumping in tranny fluid. it starts pissing out the overflow onto the ground. I crawl under the car, and find out they neglected to put the cotterpin back in to hold on my shifter linkage. not only irresponsible, but dangerous as well. what if it had been stuck in drive and not park? yeah, bad times.

Sprint: I canceled my account (no contract at that time, so no recurring billing.) they send me my final bill and I pay it. they then continue to send me my final bill, repeated calls show it's not arrived yet (after three motnhs, and one debited payment over the phone. They then straighten themselves back out (6 months after not hearing from them), and send me a partial refund.. made out to "#ris boyd" yeah, the bank wouldn't cash it. P...

and my most recent, Continental airlines. this is a long one. ok, bought advance tickets for my wife to go visit her mother in TN. afterwards, we then found out she needed her gall bladder removed. well, they put her in for surgery, and there were later complications that kept her in the hospital until the day of the flight, so we had to move the flight.

call one: told I can move them, but there's a $100 fee per ticket. I'm aghast, and he then offers to waive it, since we didn't change our mind, circumstances popped up, and we only have to pay the difference in ticket prices. Ok, 70 bucks a piece.. well, since the surgery, funds are a little low, so I told him I'd call back as soon as I know what I'm doing. (this was wednesday while she was in the hospital. and we thought she might be out friday or so)

call two: friday after finding out she wouldn't be out until saturday. I'm then told they're not waiving crap, because there's no clause covering medical emergencies, and didn't I read the four page 8 pt type contract? and if I want to move both ends of the ticket, it's $100 per ticket, per move ($400 total, two tickets, two moves) I tell themt hank you kindly, refund my money, I'll buy her a beater for what I've already spent plus what they want, and she can drive there. No refunds, but we'll hang onto your money for when you can get a 6 figure job and can fly with us again.

Call three: month or more later, money saved up, and tickets found online cheaper than what we originally paid by enough to soak up 200 of the fee. wife tells them what flight she's looking at, and is told it'll be 300. Wife says ok, gives card number and payment information.. then suddenly asks what the total is. Is then informed it'll be $800, total. :blink: incidentally, this is what we'd already paid for the tickets, so basically buying the tikcets again. wife then says oh, no thank you, don't process that, I've got a ticket price listed here that's half of that. Lady on the phone didn't see it.. so I getont he phone, and being a cmputer tech, and computer savvy, ask if there's any other way, such as us processing it online and applying the money we already spent ont hat reservation. She says yes, and away we go, happy as clams. She tells us we'll be getting money back, thanks o the price difference, have a nice day. we then go to check our bank account, and find ourselves $200 int he hole. she processed the first payment, and bent us over.

call four: don't worry, the money wil be back in your account in 24-72 hours.

call five: 6 days later. no money. ur "refund" was never processed in any way, shape or form. I get ahold of refund department, who then finally refund my money back, which ends up taking three days to process to the bank.

Wife gets back this saturday, and we won't ever be flying continental again, that's for sure.

I love how they can take your money in a keystroke, but that it then takes 3 days to give it back. no, of course they're not earning interest on your money, that would be wrong. :furious:

Sprint.....

I always got charged for BS items one time I got charged 48 bucks for text messages. At the time I did not even know what a text message was and I know I did not send or recieve any. Then I started noticing Misc. Fees so I called the local store and asked WTF this was about since on one bill it was for 28 dollars. "Gee sir I am not sure what that could be you'll have to call corporate yea right. I kept all my records and highlited all the BS charges. Then decided I wanted to cancel my account and go with somebody else. Well when I called apparently I was calling India because the first guy could not speak english (Brilliant outsourcing) so I asked to speak to a manager to which he said please hold...click he hung up on me. So I called back the second guy knew a little more english and attempted to connect me with a manager...click hung up on again NOW I am pissed I try two more times same thing hung up on. So I got up the next morning did not go to work instead I waited for teh sprint store to open went inside got a manager and slammed my phone down and said cancel my F*&^(*g account right now and if you charge me a cancellation fee there will be hell-fire-and-damnation to pay you SOB. I showed him my bills with the "misc. charges" explained what I had to go through on the phone. Then the manager promptly cancelled my account then had the nerve to try and sell me another contract!!! I quickly said hell no and went to Cingular and got my phone I have now. Whew!!! I feel better. Oh and I never got charged for the cancellation fee and I still had like 5 months on my contract. I got more but I need to get some work done. -argue-

Strange.  I had no problems cancelling my Dish Network service.  Took me all of 5 minutes.

What's the phone number you used? I called their customer about 8 times and never got through within 45 minutes. All I have is the number on the bills and nastygrams.

I'd like to call again and give them another chance to correct things (and determine if they really wanted their "Customer Service Managers" saying the things this guy said to me) but there is no way I will go through the hold pattern again.

They were actually going to send it to collections! I'm, like, how do you collect from dead people? And why would you want to? He's dead, so he clearly was NOT using the service! They were going to go after the survivors. That would be my mom, who is in a home in another town. Unbelievable. Every other company I contacted understood the difficulties of dealing with the loss of a parent and closing their accounts and were extremely helpful and even compassionate. Dish? Everything BUT.

Edited by mws