Theft

ILoveMyPatty

So, today at work I locked my keys in my Pathy.

A guy I work with, who is an ex-car thief... :huh: ... offered to unlock my door for me.

A coathanger and a screwdriver and he had it open in 10 seconds after he bent the coathanger just right.

Then, he goes on to tell me that the ignition in our Pathies is really easy to get going...

Barber scissors jammed into it and it'll crank.

He said to invest in "The Club"... which I will soon do.

That scared me.. ten seconds and he was in.

Just thought I would letcha all know how easy it is to get into em...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An alarm is the best deterrent. A flashing red light on the dash says "no touchie". If you're really all that worried about it, install a battery disconnect on the negative battery cable or simply pull your fuel pump fuse before you lock it up.

i sure havent figured out how to get in the damn thing with a slim jim...i've opened all kinds of cars but can never get to the lock on the pathy...and who wants to steal my pathy?

i used to keep my formed coat hanger in the trailer hitch and the vent visors almost always open after i locked my keys in a couple times...it still took me like 3 or 4 mins to do it each time...but no1 ever stole my truck thankfully

no matter what u do if some1 wants it they're gonna take it...

heres my deterrent: b/c who wants to steal a truck where the radar detector has wires and electrical tape all over it...just imagine what the rest of the car is like (not to mention all the wires hanging out of the dash where my cb died and I just snatched it out and clipped the wires...

2265146_46_full.jpg

:lol:

Edited by unccpathfinder

I like 88's idea about the battery disconnect.

When I put in my MSD system I took the extra 10 minutes and put in a killswitch. A small rocker switch up under the dash on one of the kick panels. Unless you know it's there, you'll never find it. sssh

like i said if some1 wants it bad enough no matter what u do they can have it...all it takes is a rollback or just a reg tow truck and about 3-5 mins and the truck is gone...

at work some1 had an 07 dodge truck stolen out of the parking lot like that...guy pulled in hooked up and some1 asked him what he was doing and said ohh its tranmission locked up or some BS like that and was gone B4 the guy could walk in and get the security guard...

and most of the time its not the pathy they want...its whats inside so a quick smash and grab will take care of that

i sure havent figured out how to get in the damn thing with a slim jim...i've opened all kinds of cars but can never get to the lock on the pathy...and who wants to steal my pathy?

Getting into a Pathy or Hardbody is a piece of cake. I have a generic slim jim bent in like a J. Slide it down and pull up. I did it front of a customer one time. Took me 10 seconds. His jaw hit the floor.

Reality check: ALL cars are easier to get into than you think.

+1 to that ;)

My future brother in law had i think an 89 pathy that got stolen and recovered like three times, he got to the point where he just left it unlocked in hopes it would minimize damage once they found it again, pretty messed up.

Around here(Houston, TX) you really have to worry about trucks like ours being stolen and shipped to Central and South America. I keep mine in the garage for that reason. It happens quite often.

Best and cheapest security mod IMHO is to disconnect the trigger wire from the starter and rewire it to a hidden starter button that you can reach from the drivers seat. All you have to do is run a wire from the starter side of the trigger wire to starter button then to a fuse right before the positive terminal on the battery. You can easily add a relay, but I've been running it like this for over two years with no problems. I use a 15amp fuse that has never once blown.

You have the turn the key on then hit the button. If someone rips your steering column open and connects all the right wire it'll still never start.

The club is not a "invincible end all car theft device." It's just like the alarm LED a deterrent. If you're a thief and see three cars you want to steal sitting in parking lot. You gonna steal the one with a freaking club on the steering wheel.? Sure you can break in and simply cut thru the steering wheel in about 20seconds, but wouldn't it be easier still to just steal a car with no deterrent?

Car thieves with wreckers should more severely sentenced... That's a pretty big line between small time thief and professional. Those guys can take your car anywhere anytime and there's not much you can do about it. If they do have a plate on the truck it'll most likely be stolen from some other wrecker that has no idea he's driving around with the wrong plates.

Welcome to the big city.

a good friend of mine's dad has a car lot...they broke into his secured lot which was monitored by camera's but not good enough resolution to make out faces....but they stole the 2 car roll back along with 2 cars out of the lot....

the @!*% of it is they are using it to steal other cars...my buddy saw it on the interstate 1 day going the other direction and by the time he whipped it around they had already gotten off with another car...

the same guy had a maxed out tacoma with custom wheels and what not on his lot with all the special corners head lights and tail lights and blah blah blah...after it came back from the detail shop the alarm was turned off and he didnt catch it...and he had a damn good idea of who stole the stuff so he showed up at their house and sure enough their tacoma had all the parts on it that were stolen the night B4...they didnt even put it on blocks left it sitting on the rotors...needless to say he kicked the kids ass while the cops were on the way to arrest him...got all his stuff back and damages to fix what they ruined when dropping it...then he went after the other kid that turned off the alarm to help him steal the stuff...

i think you should get those things the DOT in NYC puts on ure tires to lock the car down...just pull it out of the back plop it down and lock the pathy in place if theft is that bad...or invest in 1 of those gps tracking thingmabobs

Guest SuperSon

The first thing they would do too is cut your siren soon as the alarm goes off. What I did on mine is relocated the hood release.

or pull your coil wire........ a thief is NOT going to go to a store and buy a $10 coil wire for a pathy to steal it sly

i saw a british prgram where ex professional car thieves were going aorund the country showing people the best and worst theft systems. they actually got a club OFF the steering wheel just by bending the wheel.. no damage what-so-ever tot he club. and they "made off" with the car in under 2 minutes. :blink:

kill switches are your best defense....

I agree. But I agree with trailchaser and recommend killing only the STARTER, not the ignition.

That comes from having an ignition killer malfunction and kill the ignition when I hit a pot hole. On a motorcycle. While passing a truck. With another truck approaching.

Guest SuperSon

Theres 2 wires on the ignition harness that can be utilized to kill the ignition. or disable the vehicle from getting started whichever you want to put it

Starter interrupt used to be referred to as starter cut by some installers

Theres starter interrupt and ignition kill both located under the steering column. Usually the 8ga. black or blue wire with yellow stripe is your starter interrupt,It only gets 12 volts when the key is on the crank position(actually starting it)not in the ON position supplying 12 volts to the starter.no need to run wires to the starter tho,Its under the dash

Ignition kill is whats dangerous if it fails.This is the wire that gets 12v also when the ignition is in ON position and stays on even when the rig is being started .most times being confused as the starter wire unlike the true starter interrupt that only gets 12v when youre actually cranking it.

Edited by SuperSon

starter kill switch wont help on a manual...and couldnt you push start an auto? it might not be healthy for the tranny but its the same concept isnt it?

just put a quick release on the steering wheel like they do in stock cars and take the steering wheel wherever you go...

do they still sell those prolock systems? i know my moms car used to have it and i think it was just a fancy kill switch that you plugged in under the dash and if it wasnt in it wouldnt start...