Changing Sparkplugs

Pathfinder_Rookie

I have a 97 pathy and i want to change the sparkplugs. I was figuring it would take 30 min at the most. When looking at the sparkplug in the #6 cyl. its a mother to get at, it took me a good 10 min get to put the wire back. The only option i see is taking the upper intake manifold off, but this shouldnt need to be done... or does it? Anyone with advice?

Holy Freakin' cow. :cool2: No kidding a tool in the tire changing bag! Man I'm just like everyone else you have to stand on your head and spit out silver dollars, braek you hnd in three places to change that plug. I'll have to check tool bag. I have crafted a sparkplug removal tool vai some extesions a wobble joint and some duct tape. Not pretty but its effective. Run platnium plugs and your good for a looooooooong time between changes. :aok:

Mike

:o :o :o :o :o HOLY TOOL KITS BATMAN!! I have had my Pathy for over two years now and I didn't know about the little spark plug tool.

HMMMMMMMMMMM, Makes you wonder what else may be hiding. sssh

I also found a couple of smarties and some change :o . I wonder if it came with the pathy or if it's an option :D

Ya my tool kit has two tools to change the spark plugs, but i dont think either one will work for cyl #6. but it would be cool if it does, no more fumbling with extensions and universals and that inch and a half of room to navigate through. Im done, and it works, and im happy, minus the cuts but i will keep that in mind for next time. Thanks.

The long tool is for cylinders 1-5 and the short one for #6. There should be a bar about a foot long that has a couple of bends in it too. Using these tools will get that nasty #6 out a 1/4 turn at a time. I changed my plugs last night in about 30 minutes.

Not sure if 88's came with this tool, but I have no bag and nothing under the seat... To be honest... I'm surprised my Path still has a jack, after all these years since she was new

Not sure if 88's came with this tool, but I have no bag and nothing under the seat... To be honest... I'm surprised my Path still has a jack, after all these years since she was new

Funny you say that... we always take out the jack when we sell a car. We have 4 scissor jacks and one bottle jack. No including our current car's jacks. Hehe. I bet the new owners are a little upset.

man I would have never figured that was what those tools were for, got some bosch platinum 2's I'm about to put in P... , wish me luck on #6

one quick question, how in the world is the plug supposed to stay in the end of this tool on its loooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggg way down to the cylinder :huh:

Edited by headpeace

I don't think 88's come with anything like that. It's a nice tool bag though leather (i think, might be imatation leather), a bunch of wrenches, plyers (might be from a previous owner), lug nut wrench and a bar for the jack (goes on the end of a very long bar for easy jack rotation). I think there might be another tool I'm forgetting right now in mine. Just go to J/Ys and look under back seats (stock location) and then everywhere else. I haven't seen one yet but I'v only seen two JY pathys so far. I do have another trip planned for next weekend, so if I see a toolbag I'll grab it for you.

Not quite will power, but close.. ;) If ya look in the end of the "tool", you'll see a rubber boot that grips the insulator on the plug. Most plug sockets have them.

That is sofa king genius that that Nissan put that in there, it's just too bad they never told anyone before some lonely jackal (still not sure about swearing on here) with his a bag of socket extension and rachet wrench trying to climb in the engine to get that damn spark plug out. I was alomost about to take to my machanic cause it was suck a pain in the but

you seriously took all the jacks out of all your cars lol that's awful lol. I work at a rental car place and we can't even let a car leave the lot if it doesn't even have a manual let alone a spare or jack.

Edited by dfather99

• 3 years later...
I've got a 95 and there is a tool under the seat in the tire changing tools that is made to take that plug out. It makes it much easier.

spark plug replacement

I've run plats for the last couple of years and I'm gonna swap em out as I'm having misfire issues. Maybe that will solve it. I've heard they foul real easy if your fuel/air mixture isn't right on...

When i bought my pathfinder i was trying to figure out how to change my taillights. I opened that little access panel in the back and there was a key, zip-tied to the wiring. the label said something like Jayco trailer. it was the key to the original owners camper. im not sure if i have that spark plug tool. i did get the owners manual tho.

courtesy nissan has the toolkit on the site. Courtesy Parts

It is less than $50US. The tool you need is the 99540. The handle is 99541. 99540 lists for less than $20US as of right now.

I have never seen one in the JY either, but luckily of the three pathys I own right now, all of them have had the toolkit under the seat.

Edited by Indigent

the vg30i came with a similar too, I have one, but its even shorter than the short one pictured in the spark plug link.

this may be because after taking the air box off your are allot closer to the plugs than the later vg30e where you have to reach thru the manifold.