1997 4x4

SaKaNa

You should NEVER use 4WD on pavement unless you are driving in a low-traction situation. I.e. heavy snow, or ice. Wet does not constitute a low-traction situation.

Most of your problems with spinning out are coming from your tires. Those tires are junk. They provide very very little wet traction. I'd invest in some good tires ASAP, especially with all the wet weather the east coast has been getting lately.

DSC09224.jpg

Yay! Big 'ole chrome steelies! It's an XE!

LE's didn't come with the AWD transfer case until 2001. '96-'00 have part-time transfer cases

I thought they did...my mom used to have a '97 Q w/ the all-mode AWD transfer. Was it an infiniti only thing :shrug: :confused: Can't see why that would be so...

Edited by navygz19

Too complicated for someone a simple minded banker like me. So basically, can I use my 4WD on pavement when its wet? Thats basically all I've been trying to figure out here, but I've now found out that I have a different model than I was told (not that it matters), but have some special differential. What can I do different from other people?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it sounds like you might want to do sopme research on 4wd fundamentals before you break something.

There is no need to use 4hi in water. They're tires, not pontoons!

Most of your problems with spinning out are coming from your tires.  Those tires are junk.  They provide very very little wet traction.  I'd invest in some good tires ASAP, especially with all the wet weather the east coast has been getting lately.

x2

P...

The combination of cheap tires, inexperience, and excessive throttle are contributing to your spinouts.

4HI (or 4LO for that matter) are not for use on dry or wet pavement. Ice-covered or snow-covered, yes, but not wet. As I mentioned earlier, other RWD vehicles handle just fine on wet pavement. Your Pathfinder doesn't have anything special that would make it more or less likely to spin out on wet pavement.

For reference, my truck is a '97 LE. It has heated leather seats, fake woodgrain dash, sunroof, chrome bumpers, plastic door moulding, and pinstriping. It also had an LSD, flat, flimsy chrome running boards, no fender flares, and cheesy luxury-spoke aluminum 15x6.5 wheels.

Old pic from 1998 (when the only mods were wheels and tires):

before.jpg

Like others have said, yours is probably an XE with the sport package.

Edited by XPLORx4

r50s never had badging that said XE on it. they only had the SE and LE badging. they wernt like the older pathys. so if your tailgate doesnt say SE or LE you have an XE. and if you have chromies you have an XE. and if your tires are that small you definatly have an XE. SEs came with 265/70/15s on the aluminum 15x7 wheels. someone correct me if im wrong.

The earlier SEs had 265/70R15 on J15x7 aluminum alloy rims.

The newer SEs equipped with J16x7 alloy rims come with 255/65R16 tires.

No, those are not disc brakes on the rear of Dean's Pathy. He painted his drums silver.

Correct, SOME XEs came with badging, it was dealer installed though on the XEs, if memory serves me correctly.

Correct, SOME XEs came with badging, it was dealer installed though on the XEs, if memory serves me correctly.

Mine came factory, I got it from a my old mechanic (nissan tech) who bought it new in 97. He said he hated it and the spare tire carrier. but left both on

those are not disc brakes on the rear of Dean's Pathy.  He painted his drums silver.

:P:D And now they're red:

09after.jpg

but I last year I put on a set of black rock-crawler steelies, so you can barely see 'em. P...:laugh:

Edited by XPLORx4

Are you driving a Canadian Pathfinder?! US-market LE's didn't come with cloth! They were leather only!

Is this true in 2000s? I got mine in manchester tn at roberts nissan and they showed me where it was purchased brand new from there and traded in by the origional owner and i am the second owner. It has cloth.

I liked the silver rims....what did you do with them?

Trash. A couple of years ago I ripped a BFG AT sidewall coming down a steep rocky trail and had to drive about 50 feet over rocks on the just the rim before I could change tires. The rim got toasted. The other 3 were already gouged, scratched, looked like crap, so I swapped to black wheels:

31_Dean_MaxsonDome.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

What about using 4HI one lightly-snow covered pavement going uphill/downhill?

If you're losing traction in 2WD when going uphill, then shift. That's completely OK, and that's what it's for! If you're not losing traction, then don't bother. Be careful not to automatically assume that you'll need it every time there's a tiny patch of slush on the highway. Sometimes it'll be more of a pain to shift BACK to 2WD, since you may have to relieve driveline binding. Just drive according to the road conditions and you should be fine.

When going downhill, 4HI won't do a thing for you. Use your brakes. Just because you have 4WD doesn't mean you're gonna stop any faster. All cars are 4-wheel-braking.