Please be gentle to this simple-minded newb....

Guest lawyercalhoun

Guest lawyercalhoun

:bow: I know this has probably been discussed before and if I could figure out search terms to use I wouldn't have asked, but how well have your Pathfinders held up.

Background:

The reason I ask is I currently own a Nissan Maxima that I was given a few years ago from my mom. It is a 1995 and has about 190,000 miles on it. Knowing how well my stepfather takes care of cars I am not surprised that it is basically falling apart. My wife on the other hand comes from a family enamored by Hondas and they have owned a Honda since 1987. They drive them until they have 275,000-300,000 miles on them and have very few problems with them.

My dilema:

I want an SUV when I graduate law school and I am very interested in either the Pathfinder or the Honda Pilot. I prefer the Pathfinder for a variety of reasons, but my wife (being the Honda lover) is worried about how well a Nissan Pathfinder will hold up in the long run, her worries based on the present condition of my Max. I take very good care of my cars, doing ALL of the scheduled service myself or getting my brother-in-law (a BMW mechanic) to help.

My question:

How many miles on your Pathfinders and generally what type of condition are they in?

Howdy !! While Honda also makes great cars, I'd argue they have some pretty lame SUV's... More like tall cars. :D Check out this thread...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1987

I think the record is over 500k miles so far. Generally, you can count on an easy 200k if you maintain it and don't beat the crap out of it. :shrug:

Personally, if I get over 200k out of a vehicle I figure it's done it's job... ;)

B

If reliability is the only thing on your mind, go with the Honda or even a Toyota. Nissan has always been one step behind their Japo brothers as far as reliability. They're still great, just not immortal like a Honda. A Pilot is a big Accord. The only advantage a Honda Pilot would have over an Accord would be that it rides higher so you get an overlook on traffic and plenty of cargo room. If this is all you want, get the Pilot. If you think you might get adventurous one day I'd opt for something a little more rugged such as a Pathfinder.... or get the best of both worlds and get a 4Runner. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

BTW, your wife has a good point. My father drives his Accords over 300,000 at times, but always at least 250,000. He's had 5 so far and looking to get into his next one soon.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

Guest lawyercalhoun

Thanks to both of you.

I like the ruggedness the Pathfinder will allow, I am afraid that the Pilot would be just a pansy suv and if I am going to get an SUV then I want one that has some juevos.

I basically need it to last 8-10yrs. Like I said in my previous post I preform regular maintenance and what I can't do in my garage I have my brother-in-law do at his dealership.

I just know that all my step-father did when he was in charge of the car I have now was have a kwik-lube change the oil every now and then. I guess I just needed reassurance that if I took care of a Nissan it would hold up similarly to a Honda ( I know Honda's seem immortal).

Yeah, Wheelman nailed it. I've got 200k on my '87 5-speed and my friend has about 230k on his '95 auto. Both have had the trans replaced. Mine's seen a fair amount of off road abuse, but his is all stock and stays on the street. He did flip it on its side and was still able to drive it home, though.

How much driving do you do? If you drove 20,000 a year (higher than average, but still common) 8-10 years won't get you too far over 200,000. I'd say go for it. With the refinement of those V6s in the current Pathfinder, they should last longer than my little 3.0 liter and mine was doing just fine at 164,000 until somebody rear-ended me.

Oh damn I forgot that my transmission had to be replaced. But I pushed my truck hard... take note of the avatar... the brakestands will kill your transmission.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

Lets see, on my pathfinder I only have about 120,000 on it. My 1991 non-turbo 300zx had 189,000 on it when I sold it. At the shop I have seen several high mileage nissans. The one that sticks out the most is a 1995 Maxima that had 350,000 on the odometer, and odometer replacement sticker on the door sill that was recorded 101,000 miles. The biggest killer of any manufacture is lack of maintence. And some parts are just going to break no matter who makes the vehicle. Depending on what year pathfinder you get, I would say the most reliable engine has been the 3.5 & 4.0. But when it all comes down to it, I would drive a couple of different vehicles before you decide. Hope this helps your choice!

Like someone else mentioned, the Pilot is a tall bodied Honda Accord, basically the same "frame" (if you can call it that). Even the Pathfinders that have frame envy (96-04) are much more ruggedly constructed than any Honda. I like Honda cars, they make great cars, but their SUVs and "truck" , it's a joke using those names for them, are a joke.

Ive got nearly 200, 000 miles on my 97 pathy. 140k on a 94 (currently in my grandmothers possesion) and a 95 path with 113k on it. all running strong. i highly suggest an older pathy 87-95 for rugged non pansy OR a 96-04 for a slightly more comfortable ride and still rugged (also if your looking to go newer)and i also suggest a manual trans.

Edited by max_stryker

Well, I have my 01 and love it. I really, really wanted a 4Runner when I was shopping for an SUV mainly because I love Toyo. I started looking at the Pathfinder and never looked back. I wanted a 2000+ vehicle. When I was looking at the 4runners, you were talking about 15k+ for it and mostly high mileage. I got an 01 Pathy for under 12k with 68k miles.

My brother in law has a 91 Pathfinder which just broke 200k miles and it is still going very strong. Original Tranny, still shifts like a dream.

Pilot just like the MDX is based on the previous generation of the Odyssey minivan. Quite an outstanding product if you ask me, just like pretty much every other thing that Honda makes.

Quite honestly I have been dissapointed by the quality of Nissan products as of late. I wouldn't trust the new Pathy as much as I'd trust the Pilot over long run.

Pilot just like the MDX is based on the previous generation of the Odyssey minivan.

I thought he was asking about SUVs not minivans. The pilot is a tall minivan... Thats fine if you never go down more than a gravel road 1 or 2 times, but I think he wanted something more capable. :shrug:

While I'm a big fan of Honda, I see no suitable SUV offered...

B

go with a nissan pathfinder. youll love it, and there is some great forums with alot of people to help you with any, if any problems you might have. I beleive there is more to offer in aftermarket/upgrade parts available for the nissan too. IF you were buying a car, then i might say go with a honda, but nissan all the way for the SUV. What years you looking at anyways?

My 88 has 208000 miles and is still going strong. As long as you keep the timing belt and fluids changed the engine should last forever. And I don't baby the pathy either, I am quite liberal with my use of the go pedal. :D If you want to have a rugged SUV definatly go with a two door pathy. If you'd prefer to change your name to "Pansy Girly Man" than by all means get a Pilot. :laugh:

My 95 has 142k miles on it, it hasn't had any large problems yet at all.

Like others have said, Honda does make nice cars, but when it comes to off-road and such, they're not exactly the best name brand.

If I were you I'd make the decision between a pathfinder and a 4-runner; that's what my decision came down to and I just happened to go with the pathy cause I heard more things about it (and the price was right). Either one will do good I think.

what years are you looking at? brandy new or used? reliability is there on both the only complaints I have heard on newer nissans is cheapo interiers squeeks rattles stuff like that...oh my 1990 has 160,000+ on it and for some reason Nissan seems to use a lower grade metal on sheet metal cause rust always seems to be an issue I dont know if theat has changed?

Edited by fordsho90

I followed a Pilot in to work today. Have you ever looked at the rear suspension from behind? NO CLEARANCE! It actually seems to go out of it's way to dip down for less clearance. While I love the durability of the Hondas in general, I have a 95 pathy that I have abused for years and she's still running strong.

I want to put my .02 in, We have a 97 Pathy that we love it drives great on road or highway and off road it is a serious beast. In my opinion a good all-around SUV. We also have a Honda Accord 96 that has been a great car and super reliable. So as everybody else has said, Honda makes a great CAR.. The pilot is a soccer-mom suv all the way. the ground clearence is a joke just like all the american soccer-mom suv's like the trailblazer, gmc envoy etc. So if you want a tall-car that is reliable but not for off-roading go with the pilot as they are a nice vehicle. if you want somthing you can drive on the road and off-road occasionally then go with a pathy or a 4-runner if you want to spend more $$$ that ofcourse depends on you..

I have a buddy who owns a printing shop and he can cut vinyl. I thought about gettign a bunch of nice "mall crawler" decals made up and carefully adding them to all the hummers and jeeps around here that have never even seen dirt. I'd have to get "mall crawler wannabe" made for the honda's.

Guest lawyercalhoun

Ok lets see if I can answer some of the questions.

I am looking at buying the newest pathfinder out next summer. It will be my first new car (we bought my wife's first new car, an accord, before I decided to go to law school). Since it will be my present to myself for finishing lawschool early I want to get something really nice. I think I like the se 4x4 offroad. I don't, have not and may never use the 4x4 but I have always wanted one and think that it could come in handy should I ever need it out at my in-laws' 160 acres/on hunting trips w/ my dad.

Another concern I have is: when is a newly redesigned model coming out for the Pathfinder. Honda has a 6 yr rotation and we purchased my wife's accord ex in the 1st year of the new body style. This turned out to be one of the worst decisions b/c we have had more problems with it than any other Honda I have ever heard about. If Nissan is going to be revamping the entire body style next summer then I may forced to settle for a pilot (as you can probably tell this would not be my first choice).

Venge is correct Lawyer... Next Summer's 2007 Pathfinder will be the third year on that body. They should have all the quirk and rattles figured out by the third iteration.

I feel you on the Accord., before the Pathy I had a 98 Accord. It was the first Accord I owned and it really tarnished my thoughts of it. It always had some sort of problem. The 98 was the first release in that body style. I will forever always wait till year 2 of any vehicle I buy.

Edited by rmd0311

I don't, have not and may never use the 4x4 but I have always wanted one and think that it could come in handy should I ever need it out at my in-laws' 160 acres/on hunting trips w/ my dad.

You say that now, but wheeling is like sex; first you are kinda unnerved by the idea and take it easy, but once you are done, you wanna do it again, and can't wait till you CAN do it again. Then, since you can't go do it all the time, you start doing little things by yourself, just to fill the void (like parking on a rock put in a parking lot island to make it "pretty").

:aok:

I will forever always wait till year 2 of any vehicle I buy.

Absolutely, if not the third...

you start doing little things by yourself

TOO MUCH INFORMATION !!! :D

B