skids

zonianbrat

:rolleyes: Fathers day is coming up and the new dad wants some skid plates. I just have acouple of questions about them. How difficult is it to change the oil and filter after installing them? are they easy to install myself? and i assume i should get one for the front and for the t-case. Wish i could get them today as we are finally going camping this weekend. wanted to do some good wheelin but i do not have anything underneath not even the sissy splash guard!!! Anyway thanks and any additional advice or tips is always appreciated. :bow: :clap:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bingo

Black Panther

thanks for the review casey. I am curious what the difference is between teh champion, stealth, and defender is though i know i might sound dumb but i want to know everything before i buy. can you help me??? :help:

I used a holesaw to cut a hole for the drain plug in mine. It gets oil on top of the plate, but a good wash and degreaser spray and you're good to go.

:clap: I will defenitely be cutting a hole for the drain plug thanks 88. what about the filter though??? it is already a pita on my r-50 to change as is. do i need like a oil filter relocation kit or something??? :unsure: :help:

The different names are different plates.

Champion - Front skid - replaces the splash guard

Defender - Oil pan/Tranny skid

Stealth - T-Case skid

Either way you slice it, you're going to have to remove the front skid/splash guard to change the oil filter.

The Defender has some drainage holes in it already, and it's shaped in such a way that you can successfully change the oil without removing it. Does help a lot to loosen it up a bit though.

:clap: I will defenitely be cutting a hole for the drain plug thanks 88. what about the filter though??? it is already a pita on my r-50 to change as is. do i need like a oil filter relocation kit or something??? :unsure: :help:

Yep oil filter relocation best way to go

The different names are different plates.

Champion - Front skid - replaces the splash guard

Defender - Oil pan/Tranny skid

Stealth - T-Case skid

Either way you slice it, you're going to have to remove the front skid/splash guard to change the oil filter.

The Defender has some drainage holes in it already, and it's shaped in such a way that you can successfully change the oil without removing it. Does help a lot to loosen it up a bit though.

:cool2: awesome thanks for the info that is what i needed. guess right now i might just be looking at the champion skid i know i probably need one for the tranny and t-case but i am not doing enough wheelin to justify at the present time. right now it is a daily driver but my sissy splash guard is gone so i need something. Did some minor wheelin this weekend, had to keep it down since i do not have any amor. thanks again.

Yep oil filter relocation best way to go

:bow: man so much info to take in. now i have to ask what is involved with the oil filter relocation kit and how much is it. I will do searches later but i am at work and can not sit here and search and spend a ton of time. thanks for the help.,

heh...I'm at work, too....but I'm waiting on AutoCAD to do something....

Filter relocation kits aren't very expensive. I'm going to be adding one to my truck at the next oil change.

B) i do most of my posts from work. if i gotta stare at this screen all day i might as well talk about something i like right?? dont work too hard though vengeful. or anybody else that is posting from work.

B) i do most of my posts from work. if i gotta stare at this screen all day i might as well talk about something i like right?? dont work too hard though vengeful. or anybody else that is posting from work.

Its a holiday in Canada, no work for me :P Bless Queen Victoria!

Where does one get the filter re-location kit? Any downside? (the local Nissan dealer said to watch out for lines that are too small, creating flow and pressure issues).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone has relocated one in an R50...I'd like to know as well, tho. I have the AC skid on mine and there is NO drain plug hole (much like 88's) what so ever. I'm gonna have to remove the whole thing, which sucks. I haven't tried to squeeze my arm in there yet to reach the filter. Guess I should go check the AC forums as well...

-G

well for the black panther skids, u can almost reach your arms in there and grab it BUT generall speaking the front skid has to come off.

Had the oil/filter changed yesterday, and it is no problem at all as long as you have a hoist, tow extra arms complete with 10 finger hands and a stray, very high axle stand. Not sure what everyone is complaining about? :confused:

I just sat back, drank coffe and read the paper. -alcohol- :P

Edited by Trainman

i only had my bpa skid on for like a week and 1 wheeling trip before i decided to take it off...just waiting on my 220 so i can weld up some new stuff.

and not everyone has access to the tools mentioned above im sure...i know i dont.

but now that i read that...is it sarcastic?

Well., I changed my oil today and realized there was nothing there. There is NO protection what so ever... Not even some cheap plastic. Will buy some this week... ASAP... So, what are there...

BlackPanther? Any other brand?