how much is too much?

ticker

He all,

Over the weekend I embarked on a landscaping project that involved hauling bags of sand and gravel. The first two trips I had 500 to 700 pounds of cargo in the back. The last trip which I wanted to be my last I had about 1000 pounds . I had a severe pre-runner type stance going on. Question is could I have done any damage. The trips were short, less than 2 miles. The pathy feels a little loose today but It could just be my imagination.

thanks ;)

I once had about 1000Lbs of bricks in the back of mine for about a 40Km trip....didn't do any damage. Tires rubbed like hell....but I didn't have an issue. Should be fine. Do a visual check on the springs, and their perches, as well as the shocks, and if everything looks fine, it probably is.

I once had 6 adults in the main seating area, 2 front, 4 back... then two big ones in the trunk area... The two in the cargo area probably weighed a combined 500 and change. Drove 30 miles, no problems.

cool its probably just me being paranoid. It never bottomed out or rubbed but it sure looked funny. It is a truck after all and I bought it for the pupose of hauling stuff around.]

thanks

edmunds.com says that they had a payload of 1150lbs. when new. These always seem like conservative #'s though. We had about 1350 in my buddy's '97 4cyl Nissan P/U the other day, she did just fine.... :beer:

Performance

Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3 liters

Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 153 hp

Max Horsepower: 4800 rpm Torque: 180 ft-lbs.

Max Torque: 4000 rpm Maximum Payload: 1150 lbs.

Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs. Drive Type: 4WD

I doubt it did any damage at all, especially if you took it easy. I've been loading up my truck moving every day since last week with about 500+ lbs a trip. It rides fine, but going home unladen it seems twitchy, loose and such. Moral of the story, preload on old bushings tightens them up !! Drive around with weight in it every day !! :D

Seriously though, my old d920 king cab 4x4 hauled a 1200lb lathe with all the tooling (at least 1500 total), and was piled cab high with sod a few times. Sure, when I hit a bump the front end would float, but no damage other than taking the bow out of the leaf springs... :D

B

Just because your Paranoid, does not mean that Someone/Something is not out to get YOU :hide:

thats what the voices keep telling me :(

and yea it was the Lowes on Hudson its like a 2 min drive-Its a blessing and a curse. I think they need to start hooking me up with a frequent visitor discount! No sag with the JGC springs huh, thats pretty cool my ride looked like a ricer had gotten to it but only finished half the job.

I'm wondering if the new feeling I'm getting is just the centerlink getting a little worse. I got my L&P one but I'm waiting for some time off so I can do the work and have it aligned. Its looking like that won't be unti july. whoops off topic

cheers all :takebow:

What's with us guys and landscaping lately?! Feels like that seen out of Old School. "We're going to the Home Depot..." :rolleyes:

Here's my loaded beast

That link shows you 40 bags of river rock. Didn't see an approx weight on the bags, but they were NOT light. Oh, and that compression in the back is after the JGC springs and the added height of a 3" body lift. :blink: As long as you find nothing wrong, I'd agree that you're A-Okay.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I've carefully thought about and then proceeded to safely really load up a few of my vehicles... Way over ratings on a few occaisions. They ride kinda stiff when the axles are pressed firmly into the bump stops..

For most vehicles, the real mechanical limit is the tires and/or wheels. You can tell by comparing the GAWR with the load limit of the stock size tire. If the GAWR is exactly double the tire load limit, bingo!

If you upgrade the tire and wheel, you can likely carry much more.

On my van, I researched all the components and determined the only difference between my 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton with "heavy duty" load option was the tires, wheels, and springs. The axle, frame, and all other suspension components were exactly the same.

By adding overload springs, HD shocks, and higher load capacity tires and wheels with ratings above the 3/4 ton HD model, I was very comfortable loading it up as much as allowed on 3/4 ton HD models. And then more research indicated I only needed to change the axle and springs to give it the same load capacity as the super mondo dual rear wheel G30 delivery vans... the frame was exactly the same. On most vehicles, that wouldn't be the case. "1 ton" versions usually have different frames and stuff.

The moral is that the max rating is based on the weakest link. By upgrading that weakest link, you can bump your safe limit up to the next weakest link.

And also keep in mind that unless otherwise specified, ratings are for near continuous use. You can PROBABLY exceed for short periods if you keep the risks in mind. If your tires are near new and inflated to max allowable pressure, you can overload them a bit for short drives - just keep in mind that heat is the evil you need to fear.

And if you can avoid sharp impacts, you can exceed rated loads on the suspension. The ratings take into account "typical" impacts with a large safety factor. If you overload 20% but avoid all sharp edged bumps and high speeds, they are quite unlikely to fail.

Edited by mws