Bad Luck Pfinder

DTE

Well i'm proud to announce that I just bought myself a 1998 Chilkoot edition pathfinder last wednesday, and so far, nothing but bad luck. I've driven it 5 days in total and so far here is a list of things that have happend to me:

While testdriving it overnight I decided to check out some bush trail that opened up into a field, or should i say swamp? found out the hard way, managed to drive myself out of it after about 15 minutes of back and forth, minor damage, broken front mudflap.

First night i drive it home frum the dealership the engine light come son, dealership says it's prolly not a big deal just an o2 sensor or something and not to worry about it.

first time since i owned it take it out wheeling to a "mellow" trail that was supposed to be dry, nope...about 100 feet of mud to go thru, i figured i'd just keep the tires on the high parts and i'd be fine cuz it looked pretty dry....too bad the highparts at the beginnign were softer then pudding and is unk right in, not even 6inches into the mud section....

tried driving out, no luck. i was by myself so ic alled some friends to come give a hand, too bad only one person had a truck, a chevy 1ton with street tires, no grip for the mud and wouldn't risk it getting stuck as well.

some friendly ppl with a van had a highlift jack and tried to help me out by jacking up the back so we coudl put sum stuff under the tires...too bad the back bumper is plastic and there is nothing solid in it to jack up, the only thing that got jacked was my rear bumper. It's sagging on both sides now in the front and the plastic is all pushed up where we had the jack. damnit!

OH and i forgot to mention that when my tires first spun the rear drivers side tire caught a rock and blew. so i'm stuck in the mud, 3 tires, with one side of the pfinder sitting on the framerails.

CAA wouldn't help, and only one place in town had a 4x4 tow truck, actually just a small toyota pickup with sum M/T's on it. i wish i had more friends with trucks that could of helped, but the guy taht came turned out to be real nice.

so i've owned the truck for not even 4 days and iv'e already got it nice and $#&%ed up, nothing major, but not too happy about any of it haha. but hey, i'm gonna hve some fun with it, hope it will always run for me. does anyone know how big a deal it is to have the bumper off the hooks on the sides? like the clips that hold it tight against the back pannels on the side? i do'nt kno if u understand what i'm trying to get at, i can't explain well

too bad because i was going to bring my camera but forgot it on the way out of my house, would of had some hilarious pics for everyone.

learned some lessons today, we'll see where it goes from here.

- Mikey

Hi there, looks like youre willing to have some fun with your new pathy....

mudflaps - who needs em!?

SES light - if you bought it from the dealer, are they not willing to fix it?

bumper - ask vengeful about that one... hehe...

wheeling alone - next time bring some friends!! :) and your camera!

Where abouts are you from?

Welcome to NPORA!

golden rule. when wheeling in mud.. take back up (friends).... mudflaps? what are those? mud should FLY not FLAP :huh: and at least the only issues you are having with your pathy is self inflicted ;)

welcome to npora! :beer:WAVEY

Bumper...who cares. Those clips are $8 from the dealer and it's a 5 minute fix.

SES - could be that you got something on the MAF, or it's an EVAP codes. Have the code ran and we can help you further.

Everyone else has said everything that needs to be said....and Welcome aboard! WAVEY

Dood. Sounds like you did more than "Break" it in. I'm with Pezzy. Ditch the 'flaps. Those are for the yuppy people who don't want a dirty pathy. But I think her that is what we ALL want.

Welcome aboard and I think I speak for all of us when I say "When do we see pics?"

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, didn't expect that many replies! haha I"m frum Thunder Bay Ontario up here in Canada. Basically the main stop in northern ontario, not much around here but logging trails and plenty of lakes. Lots of mud right now, more than usual so that's why i kind of got caught off guard in that mud hole.

I'll get pics soon,r ight now i'm all stock tho so everyone has seen what a 98 pathy looks like. Does anyonee know a cheap place to find some bf m/t's? i belive frum what i've read so far that 31's will fit stock with a bit of a crank on the torsion bars, is that correct?

and yah, it was a lazy saturday that i went out for a drive, turned into a 4 hour nightmare, but yah, i know a lot of the basics, don't drive alone, bring a tow strap and all the common sense, wasn't planning on getting into what i was got myself in.

anyways, what are a few good things to start off with modding on the pathy that i could do myself, i'm not super michanically inclined but i am willing to learn.

thanks everybody.

- Mikey

Does anyonee know a cheap place to find some bf m/t's? i belive frum what i've read so far that 31's will fit stock with a bit of a crank on the torsion bars, is that correct?

If you want a set of good MT's for a decent price, I would suggest the Dayton Timberlines... check out this thread... , Filthy Luker's post there gives you some good info.

We dont have torsion bars on out trucks, so our only option for lifting is replacing the springs... there are a few threads in the R50 section about tires & lifts, you should find some good info there with some digging & trying the search function.

Welcome!

To be more specific 96 up pathy's don't have torsion bars. 96-04 pathy's (R50) were a completely different design from the 87-95 pathys (WD21) which do have torsion bars in the front. I don't know what size tires you can fit on the R50's stock, but I'm sure you can find that info on here somewhere! :aok:

i owned mine about 20 minutes before i "trail tested it"

first time i was careful and broke nothing, now i dont care after 2 years.

welcome aboard man. i wouldnt worry about those mudflaps, ses lights, or any of that junk... to repeat - RULE #1, always have more than just your truck and definately dont worry about that bumper.

come to noreaster and wheel your r50 down in the states

yeah i fixed the bumper today, picked up some clips, 6 bucks each, put em on, snapped it back into place, broke a few rusted bolts that were holding part of the muffler on, gotta drill them out and replace them now, bummer, but that's okay.

i tried to wire up some driving lights i took off my last vehicle but something was grounded weird and ended up melting the power cable and having to rip it off the battery with my bare hand, i'm an idiot, burnt my thumb and index finger, i kno i kno, i'm an idiot haha, usually i'm better with wiring and stuff, i gave up after that and i'll be more careful next time i do it. weird thing is i already wired the lights up b4, must have had an accidental ground sumwhere.

stryker...where's noreaster?

i owned mine about 20 minutes before i "trail tested it"

first time i was careful and broke nothing, now i dont care after 2 years.

welcome aboard man. i wouldnt worry about those mudflaps, ses lights, or any of that junk... to repeat - RULE #1, always have more than just your truck and definately dont worry about that bumper.

come to noreaster and wheel your r50 down in the states

I really need to get a winch. I don't really have anyone that will go wheeling with me half the time I want too, and one of these days here I know I am going to get stuck b/c of it. For now I'm just extra careful....well as careful as one can be sloshing around in mud.

did my first upgrade today, 31" bfg M/T's just got put on, wow those fill out the wheel wells nicely, looks sooooo good, i'll have to take some pics and throw them up asap, i likey.

i tried to wire up some driving lights i took off my last vehicle but something was grounded weird and ended up melting the power cable and having to rip it off the battery with my bare hand, i'm an idiot, burnt my thumb and index finger, i kno i kno, i'm an idiot haha, usually i'm better with wiring and stuff, i gave up after that and i'll be more careful next time i do it. weird thing is i already wired the lights up b4, must have had an accidental ground sumwhere.

OMG your stories are cracking me up!

BTW, good lob w/ the BFG's...it need not be said again, but...

GOT PIX?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :X