Rear Bumper Group Purchase

Racer38

Ok I have been in contact with CBI in regards to the cool Rear Bumpers on SnowSnakes Pathy.

The response is this: 4 to 5 committed buyers $525 for the Bumper unpainted.

Swing out Rear tire Carrier would start at $300 and go up depending on options, jack mount , jerry cans etc.

Check out this thread for pictures of the bumper !

Bumper Post

If your interested PM me or E-mail me direct so I can get the ball rolling...

Edited by Racer38

I would be up for purchasing one but I'm not sure it would be anytime soon.

Also, I'd imagine that the recovery points on the bumper are extremely strong, so I'd guess be the hitch would a class III.

Edited by tmorgan4

CBI did these for me.

DCAM5911.JPG

<edit>Had a server failure and lost the following pics.</edit>

new%20018.jpg

new%20019.jpg

Edited by snosnk

Yo Snow those sliders are awesome as well you really fit it all together nicely and its all Functional as well.

I didnt even think to ask for a price on the slidersm but I'de really like to firm up the rear bumpers ..

I will probably order one for myself in a couple of weeks one way or another, if nobody else jumps in it will be a bit more expensive.. :(

Including the swing-out spare tire carrier and added light-gauge steel plate added as shown below, I'm definitely in! (But I would want to see at least one pic of the carrier and how it's mounted to the bumper first.)

bumper2.jpg

457019-bumper_mod.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

The tire carrier work - is this part of the bumper, or is this an upgrading of the Nissan carrier? I'm interested in the bumper alone, unpainted. I'd want to do some mods to it before I installed it.

I just sent Steve an e-mail asking a bunch of questions, and the Swing mount was one, cost of the sliders was another and towing capacity was the 3rd.

I'll post when I get the reply

The tire carrier on mine is a modified nissan piece. We raised the tire (killed the view out the back window, a camera is in the works), added a hi-lift jack (gets in the way of the rear window opening, but i never use it) , and a 5 galllon jerry can bracket.

<edit>

I just noticed xplorX4 added end caps to the pic posted above. I like that idea. Maybe for a front bumper. Tubing underneath a skin sounds like it would be plenty strong for a winch.

but I do like the looks of this.

GMC%20Front%20Bumper%20Install%204.JPG

I do think it needs a little more protection on the corners.

Another pic with lights installed.

GMC%203-4%20Front%20Drivers.JPG

Edited by snosnk

• 3 months later...

Nobody confirmed and the minimum was never met. I'm enroute to Iraq this month and havent followed up on it so I guess its a wash 2 more days and the Pathy either goes on blocks or my wife will drive it during the winter. :)

I just sent Steve an e-mail asking a bunch of questions, and the Swing mount was one, cost of the sliders was another and towing capacity was the 3rd.

I'll post when I get the reply

I was ready and willing. I think the ball was in your court....

I'm following up on this with a local fabricator. The bumper will be designed similar to the one that CBI made for SnoSnake, but with a spare-tire carrier and covered sides. The pricing should be similar, but I haven't got a firm quote yet. Including spare-tire carrier and powdercoating, the price is likely going to be approx $900.

Now, you guys know I like to make sure my rig not only works well, but is also pleasing to the eye. I assure you this bumper will be designed to take a beating. And it will look good, too, or I won't put it on my rig! :)

There would be an approx. $150 discount if they can build at least 4 bumpers at once. I am personally committed to paying up to $1000 for a custom rear bumper, but it would be nice to pay less!

Finally, if you are definitely interested, please post here indicating if you want a hi-lift mount option or jerry-can brackets. (Note that the fabricator expressed concern about the weight carrying capacity of the swing-out tire carrier. He suggested that there could be TWO swing-out carriers, the right being for the tire and the left reserved for hi-lift or jerry cans, such as pictured in the photo below.)

4074a_300.jpg

I will likely begin working with the fabricator in mid August. If you have any other ideas or concepts that I can discuss with the fabricator, please post!

Edited by XPLORx4

• 2 months later...

Here are some pictures of the development so far:

Tack-welded and first mock-up:

mockup.jpg

Final design and location of receiver:

receiver_location.jpg

The top tube will extend up to the rear of the wheel well, and will provide mounts to attach aftermarket mudflaps. As shown in the first photo, an angled vertical tube will connect the top and bottom tubes at the wheel-well, and the joints at the wheel-well will be mitered (instead of butt-fit and coped as shown in the first pic. Also, the bottom tube is moved slightly inward from the top, so that there is a slight angle on the rear and side faces of the bumper. It's not straight up-and-down, as shown in the first pic.

1/4" steel bracket:

bumper_bracket.jpg

Body notched and OEM bumper mounts ground off:

notch.jpg

Hopefully the bumper structure will be done today, and I will be trail-testing it this weekend. Next week, it will get D-ring mounts and the gaps between the tubes will be covered over with sheetmetal. The spare tire carrier is next, and then it will all get sent off to be powdercoated.

Stay tuned!

Edited by XPLORx4

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update:

The bumper is 95% done, but the process will be stalled until early November, since the shop owner has a business trip next week, and I'll be taking a roadtrip to Death Valley in the Pathy the following week. The tire carrier has not been started, and I can't put the bumper on yet because I'll have no place to mount my spare tire for the trip.

Here's a pic:

bumper_welded.jpg

Receiver hitch reinforcing brackets, D-ring mounts, and the sheetmetal covers have not yet been completed, either.

Edited by XPLORx4