Questions about lockers

zonianbrat

:bow: I have to give props to all you guys I have learned a ton of stuff about my pathy so thanks. I love my 97 pathy she has never let me down as far as getting stuck hell i even rolled it on its side winched it back and went on my way. I used to go wheelin as often as i could and loved it, the colorado rockies have alot to offer. Anyway i went off and got my wife pregnant so now my pathy is a baby stroller during the week atleast. i plan on eventually buying my wife something else like a subaru outback or something. So i will finally have my pathy back and it will be ready for mods. Sorry for all the rambling i am at work and kinda bored. anyway i do not think my pathy has LSD I could not find any sticker on the axle atleast. what other ways are there of finding out? I want to put warn hubs on the front and a locker on the back if it is not LSD. Can somebody tell me about these I do not have much experience with axles and such i grew up racing my camaro and that time in my life is passing but i love wheelin. Although i must say I have always had good luck not getting the pathy stuck except when I follow my buddies lifted,tricked out jeeps into things i shouldnt even think about. The pathy has impressed all of them though she is one tough b&^%. I love it. :dance:

One way to find out if you have LSD is to block the front wheels, lift the entire rear, put it in neutral and spin one of the rear wheels by hand. If they both spin the same direction then it has LSD, if they still turn opposite (being in neutral) then it's open.

The only locker you can get for your 97 is an ARB air locker. Ouch, $1200 out the window. They changed from 28 spline axles on the H233B from 87-95, to 31 spline axles in the H233B for the 96-ups, IIRC. Nobody makes a mechanical locker for the 31-spline axles. :( You might look around nissanoffroad.net for more info.

:oops: Wow your right 88 that is a big ouch 1200 bucks is a bit more than i want to spend at this point in time. It would be a different story if i was wheelin all the time but right now i am a weekend warrior of sorts so I think maybe i will look into skid plate first then maybe some rock sliders. I am thinking i might need to amor up before i get into the big stuff. Atleast i think this is the way to go any suggestions? I really do appreciate all your advice.

• 3 weeks later...
The only locker you can get for your 97 is an ARB air locker. Ouch, $1200 out the window. They changed from 28 spline axles on the H233B from 87-95, to 31 spline axles in the H233B for the 96-ups, IIRC. Nobody makes a mechanical locker for the 31-spline axles. :( You might look around nissanoffroad.net for more info.

Actually, the 87-89 had the 28 spline, and the 90+ D21 (90-95 Pathfinder and 90-97 Hardbody) had the 31 spline axles. The R50 (96-04 Pathfinder) and D22s (98-04 Frontier and 00-04 Xterra) have 33 spline axles.

There are mechanical lockers available for the 31 spline axles, but not for the 33 spline axles.

The ARB Air Locker (Part # RD24) runs $725, but then you have to add on the cost of the air compressor ($140 for the ARB Compact, and they go up from there), and installation (which can range anywhere from $300-550 and up depending on the shop). So you're looking at quite a pretty penny.

:blink: Yeah i cant quite sink that much cash into her right now. I need armor first i guess i was getting ahead of myself with the locker. it is that i get all excited reading all the threads about all this cool stuff like lockers hubs rock sliderz lifts worked up. I am calm now, I have not been wheelin my pathy much as it is a baby taxi (for now) but first thing i think i need is some skid plates I was wanting the 10guage from marcel but i think he has sold them all. oh well i will keep looking. thanks for the info everybody. :aok:

Of course. It's just completely unsafe until you replace the drive flanges with manual locking hubs.

Applying my growing experience with my rear locker to putting one up front, I'm imagining the truck trying to straighten itself out on every tap of the gas, and pulling the steering wheel from your hands in a turn basically. Is something like that the result of a locked front diff in regular street driving? The rear locker can already be pretty harsh to deal with around town, although I knew it going in and I don't mind. I'd imagine a front locker would be 10-fold worse, as your arms really are directly fighting the engine's torque.