Do it yourself garage

Gibby

Would you use a do-it-youself garage?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a do-it-youself garage?

• Yes if it costs less than $20/hour
    • Yes if was between 20 and $20/hour
    • Only if it was less than $10/hour
    • Never, regardless of the cost.

This was going to be in Washington State. The original poster is in Milton. I'm not sure where the shop would be located. And I don't know if anything ever came of this. This thread started back in March of 2004.

Hmm, I was gonna vote in the poll, but I concluded that I would be willing to pay more depending on what equipment I was desperate for. For example, if I needed access to a bandsaw and an acetylene torch, I would pay 20-30 or more per hour, but if all i was doing was using the lift to change out the fluids or install a "test pipe", throw some knick-knacks on or just poking it to try and troubleshoot something, then I wouldnt pay more than like 5-10 per hour. Just a thought. You might have to adjust the rate dependent on the equipment used. Like a base rate of say 5 per hour if scheduled in advance with a stipulation that they might be bumped if someone is willing to pay more for that slot. Hmm a true free market.

Kinda like e-bay. .....

Anyway, walkup's get are offered the rate of the most expensive bay being occupied, if the place is empty, then they get base rate (base rate should be limited to the lift, basic hand-tools and 110V electrical -they bring their own lights, and their own compressor if they want.) 220V is another story, house air, air tools, etc is another rate addition during their useage period. And finally, we have shop tools (lathe, grinder, mill, bandsaw, welder, etc.. thats the pricey stuff say 25 per hour device each - but hopefully they will be smart enough to only sign up for 15 minute periods on each). P...:aok:

Ack, Im goin to bed now...

• 3 years later...

I have a school that does "free lab" and apparently a school system a few miles away does payed work rentouts all summer, and I always thought it would be cool....

They have a locked tool room with a student assigned as a clerk, who signs out tools and such..Luckily they have 5 bays all with hoists, an alignment machine, tire mounting/balancing machines, diagnostic machines, air, air tools, MIG and TIG, Oxy-ace, and pretty much anything you need.........

Its pretty neat, but it can get rather hectic, with tool shortages, missing equipment, lack of knowledge on usage of equipment......

If there was one in my area with all that stuff I said, I would no doubt buy a membership or something, but you see if you charge like 20 per hour, and someone has a 10 hour job, thats 200 bucks plus tool rentals and all that junk, (and if they must bring tools, you have the issue of stealing) but say, if it was 10 hours for 50 bucks or 75 bucks, plus a 100 dollar safety deposit for lost tools or broken stuff, and you had all the stuff they need, it would be a smash hit.

I would definately go to it for my SL and stuff purely for the impact wrenches, hoist, and other specialty tools

Makes sense GG. I wonder what happened to this guy...

but you see if you charge like 20 per hour, and someone has a 10 hour job, thats 200 bucks

And if you took it to the dealer instead, it would be $1,200 in labor alone... ;)

B

Makes sense GG. I wonder what happened to this guy...

And if you took it to the dealer instead, it would be $1,200 in labor alone... ;)

B

But if I did it myself AT HOME vs AT GARAGE, it would be even cheaper.....the only reason I would take it to one of these DIY places would be if the project specifically required a tool I didn't have to make it EASIER, not to do something entirely that I couldn't do otherwise...

These types of shops are great. When i lived in Toronto i had to use a few. They charged 20-30/hr or a 120/day flat rate. I had to sign an insurance waiver just incase i burned the place down, but that was never a problem. One of the ones i wen to was a little more cash40/hr..no flat rate. But, they had fully equipped, no charge, tool room, just like highschool shops. The guy behind the counter would order the parts for you if you needed. and, he was a Very experience retired mechanic. If you couldn't figure it out he would help diagnose for no charge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That does sound helpful...

Not everyone has a garage or a suitable place to work AT HOME, right?

B

Yeah, I know one guy. Sold a house with a 3-car garage. Now lives in a townhouse with a garage so small the front end of a Mini couldn't fit.

I've been at my house for 3 years now; 2.5 car garage can't fit 1/2 a car.

I would use one on weekends myself!-) Not the one 2000 miles away but it is a good idea to offset Mortgage payments.

Good Luck!

I can't smpell

Edited by MikeV