Xplorx4's reciever hitch wheel-thingy

herm

Before my trip to Moab in 2003, I knew I'd be attempting to cross the Golden Crack. After looking at hundreds of photos of various rigs crossing the crack, I was reasonably sure that unless I either replaced or strengthened the rear bumper, it would get ripped from the truck and left for dead in Utah, since many obstacles there require departure angles that exceed the Pathy's rear overhang clearance.

One day, I happened to be following a big RV out of a steep driveway and I noticed little wheels near its trailer hitch, and I got the gears turning in my head, so I googled a bunch of sites looking for "RV skid wheels".

A few weeks before the trip, I contacted 4crawler (who lives about 8 miles from me) and had him weld reinforcements onto my trailer hitch. I described to him what I wanted, spec'ing where I wanted the wheels placed and how I wanted the structure reinforced. I dropped off my hitch and 3 weld-on steel rollers.

A few days and 80 bucks later, I had this.

I also had my tailpipe repositioned closer to the mudflap so it wouldn't get crushed between the ground and the new bracketry when dropping off steep obstacles.

I intended for this mod to be temporary until I could afford to have a true full-steel rear bumper built.

Edited by XPLORx4

:laugh: Haha, lots of people cringed many times (including myself!) as my truck ground its way over obstacles. That dropoff was just one of dozens that I basically "slid" down. Good thing Nissan built the Pathy with a flat undercarriage! But, hey, that's what armor is for! :D Edited by XPLORx4

:::Puts on his best Pezzy impersonation performance:::

It was posted within this thread...

Finally took my pathy offroad

There's another entertaining quicktime video of Potato Salad Hill, complete with a rollover, in Moab here. No Nissans though. :mellow:

Edited by XPLORx4

OMG that has to be the most practical Mod for its use... even if we never did anything that extreme :clap: :bow: :clap: In the Greater Spokane area we dont have any rocks like that... but I have saved the picture for future reference :D

I want that rear hitch....

Actually, when I make my rear bumper, I'm probably going to integrate those wheels in the corners into it, and a wheel under the center as well.

Dean, you've been an inspiration for my truck for many years and many mods....oh, can't forget many dollars. I love you and hate you at the same time. Thanks a million buddy, and hopefully, one day, we'll get to wheel together. :bow: :aok:

An alternative to the wheels is using teflon cutting board material (like kitchen cutting boards) to help slide. A few competition trucks have been incorporating that as a liner on the belly skids. I think there is an older thread that mentions some manufacturer leads.

An alternative to the wheels is using teflon cutting board material...

Yeah, that's another alternative, but it would be harder to weld to the trailer hitch! :P

You'd need to build the bracketry, then bolt the teflon pads to the bottom of the brackets, making sure that the bolts/screws/etc. are countersunk.

This is actually something that could be added and used in combination with the wheels. The brackets on mine that extend forward of the wheels a few inches could be lined with the teflon. Right now, they're just plain ol' 2" box steel that clank rather loudly when impacted.

Edited by XPLORx4