belt squeal

JB3829

Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying squealing belt syndrome? I know the belts and pulleys develope a "glaze" that makes them squeal, but the belts on my Pathy and Quest are about a year old and when it's cold out they sound REAL bad. Is there a better type of belt that can help? Thanks

Just tighten them a bit or if your really want the squealing to go away replace them with new ones and keep the old one as a spare.......belts are cheap, take up little space and are nice to have around when you need one.

deej Posted on Jan 21 2006, 10:49 AM

Just tighten them a bit or if your really want the squealing to go away replace them with new ones and keep the old one as a spare.......belts are cheap, take up little space and are nice to have around when you need one. 

Those are the only 2 fixes I know of....

What a question with great timing!!! I just did the Quest alternator swap on my pathy...now my belts screech like hell!! So maybe I need them tighter ehh? I have used plenty of belt dressing and my belts were swapped over the pas Summer!! I will try this...thanks guys!!

I replaced mine a while back. And as it got colder they started to make some noise. I just tighten them a little each time until the noise stopped. I myself was also afraid of over tightening them.

Edited by Trialsin26

Its a shame that the alty belt also turns the water pump...does that just seem like trouble??

ps make sure you loosed the idler pulley before trying to tighten the tensioner bolt...this will keep you from snapping the bolt...........and tightening did fx all my noises!!

• 1 year later...

I just developed this also. On a cold start I get a quick squeal on start up but if I run in the store and restart it no squeal. It is New England winter time I figured some road salt and slush had worked its way to a belt but it has happened a couple of times.

I had the quick squelch at start up and it turned out to be my power steering belt being a little loose. Tighten them bithes up!! I now have a small annoying squeal and my belts are only 10,000 miles old so I think they stretched a little and the fact that is is getting down to like -20 around here isnt helping. I gotta get under there and tighten mine up!!

This (last now maybe?) spring I had my belts replaced on my 02. With Lordco junk. They could not get tight enough to get rid of the squeal. So ended up using Nissan belts, no problem. But tightness is an issue, the shop had quite a time getting them tight enough to stop the squeal.

Well over here in Australia guys, if our belts squeal we either tighten them or if they are already tight enough we grab a bar of normal hand soap and rub it on the drive faces of the belts, stops most squealing because of the pig fat that soap makers put in it....hm, washing in pig fat, lovely thought isn't it....not

Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying squealing belt syndrome? I know the belts and pulleys develope a "glaze" that makes them squeal, but the belts on my Pathy and Quest are about a year old and when it's cold out they sound REAL bad. Is there a better type of belt that can help? Thanks

If they're glazed one trick you can try is black silicone, just put a small dab on ur finger and put it on the tread of the belt. Worked great for me :aok:

Since I had the same issue about 2 months ago with very annoying belts I took the plunge and bought new ones. I no longer have to be embarrassed and have people think that I accidentally stuck a live cat under the hood. I did try the belt dressing but that was a very temporary fix...nothing long term.

I've tightened mine till the bracket backing the tensioner bolt bent, and the f'ers still squeal. When i can i'll look into it better, maybe get some of those gatorbacks mentioned previously.

Mine is also making a noise, but I can't tell if its just the belts or one of the pulleys as well. Its not screachy like a belt and doesnt always make the noise. I checked the belts the other day and noticed some cracking so its definitely time to replace them. If I take it somewhere, I was going to get the pulleys replaced at the time if its not too much since I dont know what has been replaced on the car before I bought it.

Do the pulleys go bad or should I just replace the belts and be done with it?