Installed dual filter relocation kit tonight

Filthy Luker

Let's just start off by saying those PH8A filters are DAMN HUGE! :P I had helluva time trying to place everything in the engine bay but I figured it out. I fabricated a bracket that holds the filters up right over the wiring harness between the wiper motor and power steering fluid reservoir. I bolted the bracket using the factory holes and 6mm bolts that hold the wiring harness connectors. The hoses run up the firewall and enter the filter base from behind. Nice and neat, without making the engine bay any more cluttered. Also i still have full access to the relays that are on the fenderwall.

It was a great feeling to be able to fill up the truck with 4.5L of oil instead of the usual 3.3L or so. :bow:

I'll post pictures in about 1 hour or so, as I don't have the camera here at the shop. -bounce-

Edited by Filthy Luker

I picked up a 4.78L container of oil... sly Not all come as 4L...

here are the pics:

frk1.JPG

You can notice two magnets I stuck on the outside of the oil filters to attract and catch metal particles if any.

frk2.JPG

Here is the stock sized filter for comparison.

frk3.JPG

frk4.JPG

One more thing I'll do is a little tray that I can put a rag on when taking the filters off so they don't make a mess. It will be super easy because it will just bolt on between the filter base and the bracket.

The nice thing is that this allows for perfect placement of pressure sender for an oil pressure gauge. I already got a spare 1/2" plug (similar to the ones you can see on the end of the filter base) and gave it to a buddy to drill and NPT tap for the sender. :P He's got an access to a BIG drill press.

LOL AT FILTHY ENGINE BAY! How about I say that it's dirty on purpose so the new filters stand out. That's my story and I am sticking to it. :contract:

Edited by Filthy Luker

Which thread Mookie? :unsure:

You know, it's probably my imagination, but I thought maybe I had read that you had posted what type of filter kit it was. It was probably something completely different and not even you! I'm just tired and lazy to look right now, lol.

Oooooooh :aok: Dual filters + extra capacity = extra insurance. Me likey. $52 is probably cheaper than the average guy pays for 2 oil changes at a chain lube shop, while the rest of us spend maybe $8-15 depending on oil and filter used. So now you spend say $15-25 and you'll still come out ahead.

Here's the best part then... extra 1L of oil is not expensive at al, few bucks maybe, and the filter due to the fact that it's WORLDS MOST POPULAR filter size is $4 instead of the $6-7 for the Nissan sized one (at least here in Canada) We're talking a few extra bucks for the oil change.

Basically you look for the filter that EVERY FORD TRUCK uses since like the birth of Black Jesus, and that's the part number. You can be in the most hick auto shop or gas station on the planet and they'll have an oil filter for you. :bow:

Edited by Filthy Luker

• 2 months later...

Now that you've had it in place for a bit, how's that bracket holding up? Is it a simple 'C' shape to get you above the wiring or did you build some structure to it? With the shape, mount points and weight of 2 full PH8's, I was wondering about wobble/flex/banging on underside of hood.

Mine is sitting on the bench waiting for a warm weekend (which may be soon)

and I like the idea of a tray or something to stuff a rag when changing it.

Perhaps I'll figure out a pivot system so I can rotate them 90 degrees before removing. hmmm..... (puts enginerd hat back on)

Edited by k9sar

Very nice Luker, I can't believe I missed this post earlier. How much clearance from top of filter to hood in closed position? If the filter was angled up a little, would gravity encourage more oil to find it's way to the oil pan and make less spill? Are the hoses runing down firewall zip tied? If so do they require padding to protect from cuts?

By they way, I am jealous. I WANT!!!!! Oil changes for me cost a little more. $5 -$6 a quart for Mobil1 and $12 for the Mobil 1 filter. I don't mess around when it comes to oil and filters. Thats why I used Red Line in the trans and Amsoil in the diffs and transfer case.

I also use M1 in my Audi, however I have amsoil in right now but am switching back to M1. in the next month or 2.

I can't believe someone hasn't blasted Luker for using FRAM filters yet...

Personally I never had any problems with FRAM filters so I won't blast ya! ;) I really need to do this, I have seriously had enough of trying to get to the filter in the stock location.

I can't believe someone hasn't blasted Luker for using FRAM filters yet...

Personally I never had any problems with FRAM filters so I won't blast ya! ;) I really need to do this, I have seriously had enough of trying to get to the filter in the stock location.

I was wondering the same thing about the FRAM's -- as I've never heard anything good about them.

Oh, and SC, take off your passenger front tire during your next oil change. Thats how I did it using the larger filter 88 recommended, and it makes it way easier!

Nice work! I can't believe you fit that all in so well! Here's a picture of my oil filter relocation. I did this just to get the filter away from over the starter, so I use a standard size filter. No oil mess on anything important this way. (BTW, for orientation purposes, the filter is in front of the right front wheel...I had Donahoe Racing in Anaheim, CA do this for me during the front shock hoop fabrication).

Also, I use a Fram Tough Guard filter, which has much better flow than a standard Fram filter.

Path_Oil_Filter.jpg

• 7 months later...

I use the Amsoil dual remote. It's a filter relocation kit witha bypass filter too. When I get it back, I'll post a pic or two. If you think those ford filters are huge, wait till you see these!