The worst smell on earth!

QuismO

hey all...hope all of you are having a great holiday season so far. as for me, things are going well, have hit up the slopes quite a bit within the past few weeks. however, i have one HUGE and bothersome problem. my dog threw up on the carpeting 3 days ago, so i scrubbed it with water and detergent...seemed to be ok. but slowly, my car started to smell...more and more as each day passed. cleaned the same spot again to no avail...then i found the culprit.

two weeks ago, while in lake tahoe, my brother bought some milk from mcdonald's along with his breakfast. little did i know, that he left the milk (little plastic milk jug/bottle) in my car. it was out of my sight as it was on the front passenger floor, under the front lip of the seat (seat was moved forward a tad). As you can imagine, 2 weeks, getting spoiled, that bottle was about to burst. but before i took it out, there has been some leakage and some of the milk went onto the rug. i've tried to clean it, soak it in water/detergent, cologne, febreeze...nothing works, i mean it goes away little by little, but still bothersome...i'd like to get rid of that horrible scent ASAP!!!...any tricks of the trade that i should know of?

hey deej, i tried this clorox bleachless spray, but let me try another one...i read on another forum (did a google search and some rv forum came up), about using pine sol and someone replied saying that it worked great...so i'm going to give that a try

*HURL* Thanks guys and girls, but I think baby sh!t trumps.

Let's hope the baking soda works Quis, Pezzy's link says that if it doesn't, you may have to seek professional help :blink:

Check out your local You-Wash type of car wash, with the vaccuum and air freshener stations. There are several around here with carpet shampoo machines available. They pump the shampoo and have brush heads to scrub, then you go back over with a wet back to pull back the moisture and crud. I've used these to remove everthing from leaking containers of orange juice and tequila that bounced around under a sweatshirt in 90 degree temps for a week or too after a camping trip (=rotten OJ and super strong tequila smell), to regular mud and even grease. Its worked like a charm every time, cleaning up the mess and pulling out the smell, and it only costs a couple bucks in quarters.

If non of these work you need to get your hands on a ozone generator, i've got one and it will remove smells out of anything, car, house, ect. My freinds salvage 240sx had a wet dog smell, an hour with this thing inside, smells "fresh" now. Some of the better detailing shops should have one, I aquired mine years ago, it's just a 18" by 18" box that you plug in and it puts ozone out, simple yet effective.

Lots of good ideas!

Great link Pezzy! Maybe some after leaving baking soda overnight, pour some vinegar on it! LOL j/k. *flashback to elementary school days with volcano science project*

Anyone ever seen that Seinfeld episode where Jerry has his BMW valet parked and no one wants to buy the car because of the BO smell from the valet guy... :lol:

I suggest getting it professionally steam cleaned... shouldn't be more than $30 for your entire interior, point out the trouble spots...

high pressure steam will kill all your problems.

Things like febreeze and carpet cleaners will only smell like sh!t covered chemicals.

ok, so i left baking soda over night, which took out about 80% of the odor, i'm pretty sure 2 more nights would totally do it, but i wanted it out asap. i learned that the best way to remove ODOR and stains caused by things such as cat pee, milk, blood, mold, mildew, and vomit is an enzyme-based cleaner...which when used, the enzymes break down the bio-based cause of odor.

i bought "kids n pets" enzyme based odor/stain remover from Target, they also sell it at walmart, and it worked wonders. i sprayed some on the affected area...checked back in an hour...all gone =) and then the baking soda's deoderizing effect took over and my car smelled good as new! Thanks guys!

I 've heard the Kids n Pet stuff works really well. It's nice to get someone you trust to defend it. I have an '03 Sequoia (I know it's brand T), that a grocery sack of meat got left in for let's say about a week. Can you say yummie? I to have tried in vain to ge the stench out with little success. Off to Wally World or Target for some enzymes. And since my 'finder doubles as my huntin' rig it can get pretty fowled out as well but nothing like 10-15 lbs of rotting beef and pork. :oops:

M

yea it works wonders for bio-based odors, ie milk, meat, blood, urine, feces. enzymes and natural bacteria contained in the cleaner work on the odor causing bacteria/mold, and other carbon based molecules. i now keep a little spray bottle filled with this "kids n pets" enzyme/bacteria based cleaning solution. IT WORKS! oh and fyi, i tried that pine sol thing the first night that i read from another forum...did somewhat ok with the milk, but it did wonders with the discoloration of the floormat...the area that i put pine sol on is clean as a whistle, so clean that the other half of the floormat looks dark and discolored. i couldn't tell at first, i just thought that the floormats were originally dark beige (remember i bought this pathy used--about 8 years old at time of purchase)...boy was i wrong =P