Would you be willing to Donate to  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to Donate to

• NPORA Hosting Fund
    • Mr Jim Clutch Fund
    • Buy Aaron some Gas Fund
    • General NPORA Slush Fund for Approved Items such as the Above
    • I would not Donate

I'm definately for the slush fund idea. I have yet to meet Mr. Jim, however, Aaron is not only very informative, but one of the most helpful people I have ever met, even if he is a little funny looking. In all seriousness, if these guys need a hand, I'd be more than happy to kick down what I can. I'm not totaly sure I like the idea of membership fees, as it may turn away some of the less frequenting members. If I had to I would though, as I do enjoy this community very much, and also, I like the idea that you have to have a little incentive to post in the for sale section.

So be it, which ever way it goes, let me know where to send it, and to whom it's going to, and it will be done. No questions asked for those two, or the betterment of this family.

MM

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we could go to cafepress.com and make shirts (although i think thats been done) and see those, i would want an npora shirt, and maybe get sponsers

as much as I'd love to have an NPORA tee, and how convenient they are... I dont necessarily suggest using Cafepress... their tees are kinda cheesy, basically an iron on transfer... dont know about thier other items...

A friend of mine runs a print shop. If we knew what we wanted and approx how many, I could get a cost and determine a selling price. I would have no problem placing a big order, holding the stock, fielding orders via paypal or similar and shipping. Would take a little to get setup but should run smoothly after that.

Ok, it seems to me like there should be 2 funds set up. One just to pay for hosting/upgrade costs for the site, and a second one as a slush fund to help/bribe the founder/admin to show up and do their jobs... :D PUT THE FLAME THROWER DOWN !!

Serously, the site is suffering due to lack of Administration and we need to correct this. Lets figure out what it takes to get Aaron on line consistantly (if he wants to) even if it is just as a dial up Biach like me (actually, that would be funny), and how we can help Jim do the same (and/or with his truck). I'll make some calls tonight.

B

*gives B a noogie while he's not looking*

Allright, allright, I relent. Getting my intarweb acksess back would be a uber cool thing. Actually, headpeace(Aaron W the second!) is sending me his old cable modem to use! Alls I need to do is wait for my next paycheck to come in on the first and I can get teh intarweb back.

Ok, cool... And a BIG :clap: for HeadPeas !!! Thats a mighty help, good job Bud !!

and I can get teh intarweb back

Aaron, thats spelled "the internet" you rabid psycho english teacher on crack !! :D

The thing is, between all of us, we have enormous resources. What better thing is there than to help each other out when it can be so easy ? I have sent springs, skid plates out for free (even payed for the shipping), and received rims and a roof rack, not necessarily from the same people. Comes around, goes around type thing. Need help, yelp; can help, do... :cool2:

B

*gives 88 a snuggie and ties it to his hard hat*

yep so true B, that modem has been collecting dust for quite some time, If I only knew, I coulda sent it months ago, we gotta help out our peeps if we can

RLMFAO at headpeas B :D

Edited by headpeace

I'd have to agree with going in the direction of a voluntary donation aspect or a fee for a "premium" membership where there are special features. If we go the premium route, long as its a reasonable fee, I'll sign up and I'm sure many many more. A few bucks from even a fraction of the large population would go a long way.

A general fee is an undesirable option as far as I see it. For many people out there who only post occassionally, or for newbies just coming in, they likely will be turned off and turned away with the idea of a fee for something they may rarely use. Part of the thing that made the forum what it is was that anybody that had a question or just bought a Pathy could jump on and get friendly advice and answers quick, and those same people often end up sticking around for the long run.

I think that a great aspect of this forum is the continual growth and blood, so things don't get all stagnant. Its nice to have fresh input all the time, even if the oldtimers find themself typing "use the search" often. So that should hopefully be a key part of however things move forward.

i'm a member of a local 4x4 forum where there's an annual membership of $20, which gives you a custom avatar, custom user title, a star next to your name, ability to attach pictures to posts, ability to have a profile picture, and most importantly, access to the search function. i think having a fee for these special features, but still having totally free access to people who just want to jump on and ask a question or read around is the ticket.

Yes, yes, no, yes, no, no yes, and no.

I disagree with charging for 'premium' membership or having dues. It doesn't seem necessary so far, and it would detract from fresh blood. Lets not go there. Voluntary donations when needed would work just fine. Anyone who saved $2000 by putting in a tranny cooler for their automagic (extreme example), or got the right info for their shocks/lift kit should be ok with dropping $10 for the site when asked.

I can see where specific member funds would be different, but then people are already donating parts as is. Thats all it takes...

Lets stay away from dues and fees; we want the NPORA community to grow !

B

No disrespect, Precise1, but donation arrangements do not work. This isn't perfect land, it's the me first gimme gimme selfish world wide web, the issue with voluntary donations is only the regulars are going to put in, the guy who saves some bucks by combing through tech threads isn't going to put in jack sh*t. I tried instituting this on my board at first as well, and so did Brian on 4wheeler, and ran into the same issues. I wasn't proposing a mandatory fee, but a premium membership esp. for sale boards is a no brainer and extra perks like statikuz suggested is very easy to set up in the control panel on invision. Paying the site is uber easy to set up on invision.

And, since i can only cite previous examples, we've both seen paying memberships skyrocket since institution of these things.

Any admin/mod that would like to discuss this privately, PM me.

Edited by lowrider

A friend of mine runs a print shop.  If we knew what we wanted and approx how many, ......

didn't we have a thread where we all agreed upon several designs?? I must search for that thread.. but i know we did finalize which tees we wanted and what colors.. so now we just find that lil thread.. and go from there..eh? -bounce-

ooh.. lookie HERE: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2673&st=0

oh..and I agree.. it is the "free" entry which attracts so many of our members... if the hosting is not so much it can be handled by us "regulars" to the forums...therefore not putting off any "casual cruisers" through the forums... as for personal donations... it will happen because we all know most of us would be skrewd without this site :aok:

Edited by Slick

I would like to think that the people who frequent this board are the nicest most giving peeps on the web. It's not like many other boards where noobs get beat to death, and every other post is a flame war. I'd much prefer to keep this site as free as possible, charging even for extra services is going to turn away a lot of newbies.

I voted for the slush fund, mainly cause it seems like B will be running it and he's close enough that if it suddenly dissapears, I know where to go looking. P...

it seems like B will be running it and he's close enough that if it suddenly dissapears, I know where to go looking.

So I try to grab a few $xxx., so then you... up here...

*snort*

to make me...

*snicker*

BRING FRIENDS !!!!

In a moment of seriousness, I didn't make the calls I wanted to last night due to not finding the damn #'s. That is corrected now so I'll proceed.

Personally, I still lean away from anything manditory. While I agree, most people are chumps, I like to think there still exists a small percentage who have integrity and see the value of this site... I'll leave at that for now but will keep updating.

:beer:

B

As long as I run this forum, it will remain a free membership forum.

I believe the current forum software is a bit too limited for me to easily split up permissions levels and paid members tiers, it needs upgrading. Plus...I always hated trying to find something on the web and then finding out it cost money and you had to get a membership. IMHO, if it's on the internet, it should be a collaborative community effort supported by as many enthusiasts as possible and the info should be shared because we want to keep as many Pathfinder owners on the road as possible! :) Wouldn't it be cool to one day have a NPORA meet and see miles of Pathfinders of all years cruising down a mountain road?

*gasps for breath*

By the way, I'd like to thank three very kind people that sent me some money the other day: MaritimeMan, headpeace, and WithTheBackOfMyHand. headpeace not only sent me a few bucks, he sent me a cable modem! Thank you all very much. I'll pay you back one way or the other, you wait and see.

And if anyone wants to help me out with a few bucks, my Paypal address is 88pathoffroad@gmail.com. That's my personal account.

Ok, I've been reading this for a few days now and I'm gonna say this:

Could NPORA stickers and apparel be marked up to offset any expenses that the site might have? Let's say I am looking for stickers, shirts, magnets, hats, whatever and I will pay "X" amount over the cost just to support the site. I don't know, I haven't voted yet. :shrug:

Ok, I've been reading this for a few days now and I'm gonna say this:

Could NPORA stickers and apparel be marked up to offset any expenses that the site might have? Let's say I am looking for stickers, shirts, magnets, hats, whatever and I will pay "X" amount over the cost just to support the site. I don't know, I haven't voted yet. :shrug:

The problem with that is that they've been pretty much user-run items, as opposed to a centralized "Official NPORA" body that has produced them. Instead, it has been motivated members who have taken it upon themselves to coordinate and manage the creation (with group input) and distribution. Kudos to them. :clap: But in my mind, if there were to be a profitable system, there seems to be the need for a leap to a standardized and centralized "official" body running those operations in order for any sort of sell-for-profit system could really take off. Let the flaming begin...

Exactly! That's why there should be a paypal (or some other e-pay system if you hate paypal like me) account set up with a listing of how much it costs to run this place, and how much has been collected so far. All donations volountary. Nothing more, nothing less. If you get more, then you have all sorts of stupid issues arising.