Would you be willing to Donate to  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to Donate to

• NPORA Hosting Fund
    • Mr Jim Clutch Fund
    • Buy Aaron some Gas Fund
    • General NPORA Slush Fund for Approved Items such as the Above
    • I would not Donate

The point here is that I get a good feel for the turn out and how to handle things. While a clutch for Mr Jim or gas for Aaron isn't going to make major changes for them, everything helps and it is a nice token of appreciation for all of the effort both of these guys have put into this site.

They are the ones who run the site and have spent countless hours of their time helping others. I think it would be a good show of support for them when they are not able to be here.

Regardless, it is in all of our own best interest to insure that the site stays up and running. I don't know who is paying the hosting fees, but it would be a good idea put together a little nest egg to make sure it is always covered. Hey, maybe we could pay for the site to be updated and be less hackable ? You get the point.

Another thought is to sell the NPORA stickers at an inflated price and bank the 'profit'; I'm thinking not more than $10 each. :shrug:

Please vote seriously and chime in with any suggestions or concerns. Thanks.

B

For those who do not know, Mr Jim(founder) and 88Pathoffroad(admin) are both in difficult life positions down to not having internet access. Mr Jim's truck has clutch issues, and Aaron's doesn't get driven much due to the cost. We are considering helpful 'feel good' gifts, not supporting them... ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap::clap: all around NPORA fund.... sounds good to me as long as we are told where our money is going.. I am good with it :aok:

i.e: like right now Mr jim needs help with his Pathy.. the site needs to be cleaned up n upgraded..blah blah... -bounce-

I'm all for everyone donating a little something for the common and collective good, but channeling those funds to a single recipient kinda makes me leery. I don't mean to pee on anyone's cornflakes, but who would decide what's worthy? Is someone's clutch more important than another's busted center link? Would we put a swamped ECU ahead of someone who's truck was vandalized? I forsee animosity and resentment toward each other if we go that route.

I think a fund for site upkeep and improvement is a great idea, but let's keep it at that. Perhaps a separate fund for specific items and members would be a better idea (like The Mr. Jim Clutch Fund).

Yes JJ, thats basically what we are determining here. As for who or what, it would only be for the 2 mentioned just as a little 'reward' for their efforts, and probably a 1 shot deal. Regardless, this is just for info purposes so I can determine how to handle things. Regardless, thanks for voicing the concern.

A lot of people seem to look and not vote. WTF is up with that ?

B

hey I'll vote to appease you B, but if I could I would vote for NPORA, Mr Jim, and 88 some gas funds cuz I would donate to all 3, if I have to pick one then NPORA slush (or hosting, whatever (probably should have just done hosting/maintenance fund)), could we set a seperate fund for the three, that way people can donate to all 3 or just one?

Edited by headpeace

yeah, i could MAYBE see the need for a fund for hosting and whatnot, but not really, since as 88 said, the cost of GOOD hosting nowadays is relatively cheap. in my opinion, i agree with JJ, donating money to specific individuals doesn't sound too good, we all have trouble in life and we all have broken pieces on our trucks and you can't objectively decide who "needs" the money more than anyone else.

Very true. I think if it's going to be done, we should designate a Paypal account for general donations, then decide what needs to go where, like, for instance...the Faith Wheelers trip in Washington that no-one showed up to two years running. Prizes? Fix-its? I dunno. Whatever we ALL decide, and I'd need more than 35 votes to decide on it.

sssh howzabout an account for the upkeep of NPORA...then a seperate account to be divinded equally between you and Mr jim? say.. every other month split what's there in your "joint account"??

and have the one NPORA account for specifics like upgrading of the site and maintenance and what not? my .02 :aok:

Does no one read ??? (a page from 88's book)

As for who or what, it would only be for the 2 mentioned just as a little 'reward' for their efforts, and probably a 1 shot deal.

This isn't about fixing every members truck. It would be helping out the admin a little as a token gesture for all the work they have done. SHEESH !! Is that so hard to comprehend ? I never said I'm collecting $ for my frame repair, or someone elses centerlink...

Just vote as it says, I think it is pretty damn clear.

Anyone can start a "Faith Wheelers" fund if they wish. This idea started as a revenue to insure/upgrade the site and maybe help out the top 2 who are the people who keep everything rolling. Maybe if we show some appreciation, they will work with us as much as they can, eh ? Perhaps I'm just an oddity... :shrug:

B

This is a serious issue requiring serious thought, and maybe a little common sense. Nobody here is asking for money. When we heard about Mr.Jims troubles, several people expressed concern for him and offered to help out in any way possible - generally in a nominal monetary gift to help offset the cost of getting his Pathy back on the road. As far as the 88 Gas Fund goes - Aaron never asked for handouts from anyone on here, again, this is just offerings.

Think of it this way, if one of your co-workers, or neighbors was in a jam, you'd help them out. These two guys have created a community here for all of us, and without their hard work and countless hours spent dealing with all the little (and some not so little - remember a recent incident with a fellow named Flea?) issues that come from running a website and forum. Basically, what I'm saying is try to be a little bit more open-minded about this, and if you wish to offer criticism or concerns about the methods or whatever, try to be constructive in them - we can't gain anything or make any progress from posts like "This idea is stupid." It's OK if you think it's a stupid idea, but tell us why. Also, nobody gains from "I don't feel the need to contribute." posts. That's fine, but again, please explain why you feel this way as we can find out what other members are thinking and how they feel about the community.

I know that I have learned a vast amount about my truck from this site, and even made several friends here. I would hate to see NPORA vanish from the web.

Very good discription Vengeful, you are far more eloquent than I.

That sums it up as I meant it, basically. If you want/can fine. if you dont want/cannot, fine... this is just an idea to see where we stand. We will evolve from here. Thanks everyone for your comments and votes, please dont be shy.

B

Im thinking the timing of it is alittle bad, as christmas has just past and the bills will be rolling in soon, just my input.

No worries... It's just a general poll, nothing for "RIGHT NOW"... just to get an idea of what people think on the topic.

yes.. we are all short on cash, including the 2 guys who made NPORA what it is... we are not asking for $100 donations.. just $5 or $10 when you can sort of thing.

I know I am broke but I would rather give up a pack of cigarettes and send the money to help keep NPORA online then to be selfish and infest my lungs with the money.

I could have never done what I have done to/with my Pathy had it not been for this site, and it feels like a family to me, and I would really hate to lose that.

These guys bust their asses for us with little or no thanks, help us continually with our problems, as well as having their own lives.

I now wish to thank them allllllllll again for their hard work and help. :bow: :bow:

2 seperate accounts as I said above seems a good route.. one for the site upkeep/modifications/upgrades and another account for mr jim/aron/event sponsorship/ and maybe even an online store for clothing and stickers?? If we can get our name on some sponsorship and clothing.... possibilities are endless. :aok:

Ditto to Simon's post. I wondered where these two guys have been. Usually they are Johnny on the Spot when peeps have a question or a problem. But w/o or with limited web access it's like that part of the libary of knowledge is locked. No dis to the others that chime in with their words of wisdom. Call the fee what you will Call it a passion fee. Afterall we are all passionate owners of the red-headed stepchildern of the 4X4 community.

Another thought to raise $$ for site maintainance/ admin is by selling something(s) on ebay though the board or individually 'finder related or not and then deposit the funds into the NPORA account. Dunno it's just a thought. We do this on another board and it seems to work out. Ya I know its a coordinated effort and everything. And there is always an annual fee for use approach.

M

I ran into major funding issues with my board/club as well. To get past that, and hopefully run it flat instead of at a loss, i instituted a pay site arrangement, with 2 levels of subscription service.

A web-only membership costs $15 per year, you get more hosting/uploading space on the site, access to a private board, you can change your member title, can go in on group buys from my supporting vendors, and are allowed to post FOR SALE ads. (the biggest reason people buy a membership)

A 'premium membership' costs $35 per year, you get all of the above, plus a discount card for the supporting vendors, 2 decals, a shirt, and discounts at a local mitsubishi dealership for parts.

Since i've instituted this i've almost recouped all my losses since i took over this board. The way it works for payment is people pay the site or a paypal account. The money goes on a credit card that is set up as "calgary DSM". I and a couple others have signed authority. The hosting charges, forum licencing, etc, all come off that card. People who want to buy extra tshirts and stuff do so ultitlizing the same CC#. Any extra monies at the end of the year go into a 'slush fund' that will be used for track days, dyno sessions, BBQs, etc.

My supporting vendors pay to use the site as advertising, and i've given each of them their own forum and moderator power within to sell their goods.

Good luck, guys, this is only a suggestion, and i'm not the only board that's done this.

http://www.4wheeler.ca -- Brian, the main admin, a good friend of mine, instituted a similar 'supporting member' status $25 per year gives you access to the for sale sections and to a private board.

Just my .02.

just to add and/or say the same thing Lorider did...

we could set up an aftermarket forum to invite the aftermarket companys over to here, we could go to cafepress.com and make shirts (although i think thats been done) and see those, i would want an npora shirt, and maybe get sponsers

Another thought to raise $$ for site maintainance/ admin is by selling something(s) on ebay though the board or individually 'finder related or not and then deposit the funds into the NPORA account. Dunno it's just a thought. We do this on another board and it seems to work out. Ya I know its a coordinated effort and everything. And there is always an annual fee for use approach.

M

one could also take donations of goods and then have a raffle or just sell off the items as a fundraiser..

how about a sponsor? L&P comes to mind..