MT swap

wheelmanLS1

So the transmssion went this morning. I will look into swapping in a manual transmission while I'm at it because I absolutely hate driving an automatic. The only problem is that while I've heard everything is a straight swap, I haven't seen anybody do it yet. Or has somebody done it yet?

I won't even get to this project until middle of January because right now I'm working on rebuilding a Pontiac Grand Am's little Twin-Cam engine and that's were my money's at right now. Then I have to turn it for a profit and every last penny from that is going into the Pathfinder and it's new transmission. So I figure I'll have enough money for the swap. Is the easiest thing to do just buy a junkyard Pathfinder w/ a manual transmission? I've heard the manual transmission was revised for '93... will an older transmission still work? Any other thoughts or recommendations would be awesome.

I've heard of it done but the best way was to get a whole parts truck and transplant all the necessary components over. Good luck... My AT died at the beginning of the year and I decided to get it rebuilt. As much as I hate Autotragic transmissions in cars, I love them in trucks.

Are you guys serious? I thought it was the parent's responsibility to maintain the kid's car. I'm still in high school. I think since my job requires a car and with that job I've been able to pay for all my gas, insurance, speeding tickets, most of my food, etc. he's probably still not losing money by helping me out with my transmission. It's not like I have that kind of money laying around and he realizes that I'm sure.

Anyways, it's going into the shop tomorrow and I can't wait to get it back. Delivering in the Suburban and Accord have been fun but I'm ready to get in the Pathfinder again.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

Well lets see.. In high school I had no car, I bought my first car myself... took jobs close enough that I did not need a car. After buying said first car I found a better job that did require driving.

Tranny on my Taurus went out once. I paid for the rebuild myself... engine in the Pathy? Again I bought the replacement myself... same goes for oil changes, tune up's, fuel, insurance... speeding tick.. oh wait, I'm not dumb enough to get those ;) but you get the idea... I hope.

So, parents responsibility? Not a chance my good man... not a chance!

Edited by RedPath88

Has your transmission gone out yet? I keep mine up for the most part... I've had to get the brakes fixed twice, bushings, ball joint, CV axles, spark plugs and wires, new battery, new tires (which I seriously overpaid for), plus a few modifications here and there. I also dumped about 700 total into my Thorley headers. Are you a senior?

So, parents responsibility? Not a chance my good man... not a chance!

I just remembered that I live in a different type of area than most of you. I have friends with Escalades. My neighborhood has an ordinance that states if your vehicle has a dent in it, it has to be parked in the garage (which is why I get the garage). My Pathfinder is the POS of the neighborhood.

And easy about those speeding tickets... I enjoy speed and deserve the tickets I get. I don't complain.

Are you guys serious?

Yep. My Dad was good to me, and bought me an $1100 Plymouth when I turned 16. His words were "Better work hard and save your $, because any gas, parts, work, insurance needed is your problem". Damn, I was so happy for it too !!

I just remembered that I live in a different type of area than most of you. I have friends with Escalades. My neighborhood has an ordinance that states if your vehicle has a dent in it, it has to be parked in the garage

Yeah, enjoy it because thats not a 'normal' scenario... You could win or lose from it, depends how play the hand.

B

I'd say we don't fit into our environment very well. So I figure I'll turn out okay. Our neighbors are stunned that we mow our own lawn and cut up our fallen trees with chainsaws after ice storms... usually they pay to have that stuff done.

LOL, that coupled with the fact you have a job, I'd say you have a fair chance of not growing up to be a twit... ;)

Seriously though, I'm glad you get the help and support like that, just never think it is owed, implied, required or even the norm and you'll do fine. Perspective is a big part of life.

B

Are you guys serious? I thought it was the parent's responsibility to maintain the kid's car. I'm still in high school. I think since my job requires a car and with that job I've been able to pay for all my gas, insurance, speeding tickets, most of my food, etc. he's probably still not losing money by helping me out with my transmission. It's not like I have that kind of money laying around and he realizes that I'm sure.

Anyways, it's going into the shop tomorrow and I can't wait to get it back. Delivering in the Suburban and Accord have been fun but I'm ready to get in the Pathfinder again.

HAHAHAHA!!! .... wait, are YOU serious? Worked and saved till I got my first P.O.S. truck at 17, then did all the wrenching and most all of the parts on my time and dime, although the parents helped as much as they could when my back was against the wall. Congrats on getting the truck back rolling, and be thankful. Once you're on your own, that ride (usually) ends.

Shxt, my first car was a $300 Datsun 210 hatchback I bought from a buddy at work by myself. Replaced the head gasket twice, did the clutch, the brakes, worked on anything that broke when it happened on my own dollar. My next car was a $50 Plymouth Sapporo that just needed a clutch cable, mwuahahaha. Good deal on that one, the new clutch cable was only about $15. I drove that thing around until I sold it for $800 to a couple of semi-friends with a rich mom. Finally got my Laguna for $1100, then my dad gave me his very-dented and rusty old '83 Chevy work van(worth about $100 in trade-in value) and I sold the Datsun to some Mexican guy living in Boardman, Oregon. Shortly thereafter the van's water pump went out and stranded me on the side of I-5. You know how it goes...

No such parent-payments or help for me(besides my dad giving me the van), they all have their own bills to pay. I've never been in a situation where anyone gave me anything like that.

...which is not to say that it's a bad thing that your parents are able to and do help you and your brother keep your cars running, that must be a nice thing for you. Savor it until you don't have it anymore, I guess... ;)

I just remembered that I live in a different type of area than most of you. I have friends with Escalades. My neighborhood has an ordinance that states if your vehicle has a dent in it, it has to be parked in the garage (which is why I get the garage). My Pathfinder is the POS of the neighborhood.

When I was a kid we would drive through neighborhoods like that with a paintball gun full of gumballs shouting up the place. :D

When I was a kid we would drive through neighborhoods like that with a paintball gun full of gumballs shouting up the place. :D

Yeah, thanks to punks like you our neighbors have had two extremely expensive full-scale windows busted out and another neighbor has had his mailbox done in 2 or 3 times I can't remember. Our's has been busted up once. :D I probably did worse in other places though so it never hurt my feelings too much.

Actually, the Pathfinder isn't getting fixed quite yet. It was supposed to go in today but the guy at Cottman is an ass. I asked 'Worst case scenario... say I need a whole new transmission. What kind of a ballpark figure can you give me?" That smartass says "Worst case scenario is that we replace the transmission and that wasn't the problem." Okay, smartass, I know what a failing transmission does... our old '92 Accord had a bad one and my Prelude's clutch slipped like all get out. Bastard thinks I'm just some rich tool just like you guys do. :X Did I say that out loud? :D

His attitude seems a bit unnecessary and like he wants an open field... You too. I don't think you are a tool. Just young; there is a cure for that, but you spend a lot of time looking back once you have it... LOL. ;):D:aok:

B

Bastard thinks I'm just some rich tool just like you guys do.

Why would anyone be thinking that!?

As for Cottmans, I'd go somewhere else. I've heard some less than flattering stories from friends who had less than good experiences with them.

As for your parents' responsibity, food, clothing and shelter up to 16 (18 in some states). Anything beyond that is either guilt or love. You parents sound like the latter, your neighbors ... well you know them better than I do. ;)

Yeah, thanks to punks like you our neighbors have had two extremely expensive full-scale windows busted out and another neighbor has had his mailbox done in 2 or 3 times I can't remember. Our's has been busted up once.

:lol: :sniff: crying.gif :sniff: :lol:

Whew, I got my first car at 17, 1961 pontiac tempest, 4 cylinders, paid $100. My second car, a year later was a 63 buick special convertible, two speed tranny, cherry red I installed an 8 track in it and was hot sh*t. Paid $325 for that one, parents signed for a loan, I was making $3.45 an hour. When the tranny blew I took it to AAMCO, they wanted $800 to fix it, they told me the clutches were welded together, I have no idea how that happened. :rolleyes:

Bought new clutches for $15. Me and a friend learned how to fix an automatic that night. It was his idea. You ahd to go in from the front. So we stood it on end and as the parts came out we laid them out in a line across the garage floor. Finally got to the clutches. Replaced them and put it all back together. It worked fine until I traded it in on a 66 mustang.

Those were the good ole days, ya could pull the motor and put it back in in just a couple of hours. I did it once just so I could paint the motor. Oh to be young again............................ :laugh:

Ya... Is he Adopting by chance???

-bounce- me me!! i'm currently unwanted and up for adoption!! :D

and btw... i never got any moentary/vehicular backing.... my first car was a brand new 1986 nissan bluebird (England) that i bought with my more than hard earned wages at 18 years old.. come to think of it.. i bought my first house that year too... sssh my family have never had money so i was taught to appreciate every penny i had.. funny how that went out the window when my mom passed away 2 yrs ago and i had $45,000 burning a hole in my pocket... anyhoo.. now i am back to ppenny pinching but gettin by n payin my bills.. independence is a beautiful thing :aok:

Edited by Slick