Post your Favorite Recipies

Precise1

Mountain Man Breakfast

this is pretty simple and pretty fast and good to boot.

here is all you need:

IMG_1995.jpg

1/2lb of your choice sausage (this time i used sage and it was delish) plus you can add a few chopped up slices of bacon

1/3 to 1/2 a loaf of white bread (8x8 pan)

6 eggs + a splash of milk

1C grated cheese

you'll have to pre-cook the sausage and drain, if need be.

IMG_1997.jpg

put everything together like above and bake for about 15min @350F

IMG_1998.jpg

then add the cheese and bake for another 10min. i also broil sometimes on Lo

IMG_2000.jpg

enjoy!

i normally line my pans with aluminum foil because the cleanup can suck otherwise.

this recipe will also work just like it is in a 10" dutch oven.. it feeds 4-6; for a 12" DO double everything.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i came accross this recipe a few days ago, it sounds delish and i think it's perfect for a dutch oven... will probably try it out in a couple of weeks when camping. :)

Baked Egyptian Eggplant

food_eggplant300.jpg

Layered almost like lasagna, Munger (Faten Munger, owner of Luxor Restaurant in Fountain Square) offers this recipe with a toast of "Sehha" to everyone who tries it (which means "to your health" in Arabic). Serves four.

Ingredients:

2 16-ounce cans of beef broth

2 large eggplants

1 pound ground chuck meat

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 16-ounce cans tomato sauce

1 medium onion

1/2 green pepper (optional)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper (black or white)

1/2 teaspoon allspice

2 cloves of garlic

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

flour to fry eggplant

corn oil for frying

olive oil for sautéing

Directions:

Cut eggplant into 1-inch-wide slices. With a fork, make cuts in eggplant; let it sit for half an hour, then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels.

Heat corn oil in large frying pan. Dip eggplant slices into flour lightly, then fry in oil until golden brown. Remove eggplant from the pan and set it on a paper towel to absorb some grease.

In a deep pan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add meat and spices, salt and pepper. Add chopped green peppers (optional). Add one and half cans of tomato sauce. Let cook on low heat until meat is done.

In a 9-inch-by-9-inch pan, layer the fried eggplant. Cover the first layer with meat mix. Top with another layer of eggplant slices. Garnish the top with thin slices of fresh tomatoes. Cover with beef broth and remaining tomato sauce.

Bake in high heat for half an hour, or until the broth is minimized.

• 4 months later...

This is a simple (ok, but it isn't cheap..haha), yet effective dinner date for two - in other words...what I made for dinner for Samantha and I last night.

This is what you'll need:

assortment of organic greens

balsamic or raspberry vinagrette

1/2lb Chinese Snow Peas

1/2lb vine-ripened cherry tomatoes

extra virgin olive oil

1 clove fresh garlic

fresh rosemary

fresh thyme

1/2 cup, dry, long grain & wild rice, seasoned

(2) 5-6oz filet mignon

1 - bottle of French Chianti

1 - baguette of French Bread

Butter

1 - cheesecake

Start out at your local organic food market, in the produce section, and pick out some ripe organic leafy greens. Select a good balsamic, or raspberry vinagrette, as either will complement the organic greens well. Serve cold, as a salad. While you're there, pick up 1/2lb of ripe Chinese Snow Peas, and 1/2lb of vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, as well as some fresh garlic, rosemary and thyme.

Take the rice and start cooking it. 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste. Takes about 30 minutes to fully absorb.

Chop 2 things of the fresh garlic. Heat 1/4 cup of EVOO in a large sautee pan. Add garlic, and sautee for a short period until golden brown. Add snow-peas and tomatoes. Sautee over med-low heat for 20 minutes, or until tomatoes burst. Add a pinch of salt & pepper to taste.

Mince 1 peice of garlic and grind up a small amount of rosemary and thyme. Rub onto steaks.

Preheat oven to 450*F. Heat a medium sized ovenproof skillet (cast iron skillets work well for this), and add 1 1/2 tbsp EVOO and a small amount of butter. Sear Filets until nicely browned (not more than 2 minutes per size). Once seared, place skillet directly into pre-heated oven and roast for 4 minutes for medium doneness.

Slice the french bread and serve with dinner. A good dry Chianti compliments the tenderness of the steak perfectly.

Serve Cheesecake for dessert while watching a Romantic Movie.

PM for notice of Guaranty.

• 8 months later...

I usually make this for work parties, family get-togethers etc. and get numerous requests for the recipe.

Indian Chicken with Chickpeas

6-8 pieces of chicken

2 T butter

2 T peanut oil

3 T flour

2 T curry powder

1 t ginger

1 t salt

3 cups chicken broth

1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 leek

4-6 cloves of garlic

1 can chickpeas drained

Place chicken in a roaster with 1/2 cup water and stick in oven at 375.

Meanwhile, get a big pot and melt butter with oil. Make a paste with flour, curry, ginger and salt. Slowly add broth, whisking to maintain smoothness. Add honey, soy sauce, leeks, garlic and chickpeas. Boil until thickened. Pour over chicken in roaster and bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Excellent over rice or with naan.

I hope you enjoy it! BP

Something else I've had a few times recently. It's very easy, tastes great and makes people think it's a lot more difficult to make than it really is. If you like spicy things, particularly seafood, this is for you.

Sweet and Spicy Baked (or grilled) Salmon

1 Nicely sized Atlantic Salmon Fillet (fresh is best of course)

4 cloves garlic

1 nice sized bunch of Cilantro (a little goes a long way)

1/4 of an apple of your choice...I prefer Pink Lady's b/c they're typically the sweetest

1 Jalapeno

1/2 yellow onion

Salt/Pepper to taste

Enough EVOO to rub the fillets

Dash of Cumin

Drizzle the EVOO atop the fillets, salt and pepper them to taste. Sprinkle a good pinch of Cumin too. Next, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until chopped properly. You're not going for a puree here. The coarser the chop the better.

*NOTE:* As stated earlier, not a lot of cilantro is needed here. I usually break off 4-5 stems and pull off the leaves to use in the recipe. Kind of annoying b/c typically the grocery stores only sell bunches of cilantro that are far too big. It's not expensive though...so if you have some extra tomatoes laying around along with an onion, make some fresh salsa to have with chips :tongue: In addition, I will usually remove about half of the seeds in the jalapeno and leave the others before processing...depends on how much spice you like.

Once processed, spoon the mixture atop the fish and spread evenly to the edges. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 mins. (check carefully with a fork to see if it's done) and enjoy! I usually have some sort of big salad with it with as many different colored veggies as I can find. Makes for a very colorful meal. Don't forget to compliment it with a good white...Schmitt-Soehn makes a great one called Zeller Katz Schwartz (a Riesling) that's just sweet enough to have with the meal.

In addition, I've done the same sort of thing with the fish using the leftover salsa I made from the remaining cilantro as well. Makes another completely different meal!

Edited by navygz19

My Favorite Recipe Currently:

I never have time to cook at home because, well, I run a restaurant (with a hotel attached lol), go figure...

This is my favorite crock pot recipe, throw it all in and let the machine do it's magic.

2lbs Of Beef Shoulder or Chuck, you could use a sirloin as well, but I prefer a little fat in my beef when slow cooked.

1/2 cup of Horseradish (prepared/xtra hot!!)

2Tblsp Johnny's Seasoning(Xtra MSG!!)

1Tblsp Black Pepper (The courser the grind the better)

1/2 cup Garlic Cloves (Whole)

1 Whole (large) Yellow/Sweet Onion halved then quartered (or cut into 1/8ths :) )

1 cup quartered Button Mushrooms

3-4 Average Size Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes quartered

1/2 Bottle of Cheap Cabernet (or let over stuff from the night before/or week old... doesn't matter much).

Throw Everything in the Pot, Let Cook for 8-12 Hours, and enjoy the most tender flavorful beef ever :)

I used to be a prime rib fan, but now this is my favorite way to cook my beef.

My Favorite Recipe Currently:

I never have time to cook at home because, well, I run a restaurant (with a hotel attached lol), go figure...

This is my favorite crock pot recipe, throw it all in and let the machine do it's magic.

2lbs Of Beef Shoulder or Chuck, you could use a sirloin as well, but I prefer a little fat in my beef when slow cooked.

1/2 cup of Horseradish (prepared/xtra hot!!)

2Tblsp Johnny's Seasoning(Xtra MSG!!)

1Tblsp Black Pepper (The courser the grind the better)

1/2 cup Garlic Cloves (Whole)

1 Whole (large) Yellow/Sweet Onion halved then quartered (or cut into 1/8ths :) )

1 cup quartered Button Mushrooms

3-4 Average Size Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes quartered

1/2 Bottle of Cheap Cabernet (or let over stuff from the night before/or week old... doesn't matter much).

Throw Everything in the Pot, Let Cook for 8-12 Hours, and enjoy the most tender flavorful beef ever :)

I used to be a prime rib fan, but now this is my favorite way to cook my beef.

That sounds really good.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to try this. I know, I know it's meatless but it truly does rock! I served it with seared scallops which was a splendid marriage I must say, but it would be real good with chicken too. Of course I usually double or triple the garlic when I cook. :aok: I also simmered mine longer but not too long or the potatoes would start disintegrating.

Rockin Moroccan Stew

Moroccan vegetable stew with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and ginger

This unique recipe came right out of Africa! Say "yes, please" to chickpeas and you can eat to the beat!

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

* 2 tsp olive oil

* 1 cup chopped onions

* 1/2 cup each diced celery and chipped green bell pepper

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 3 cups vegetable broth

* 3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes

* 1 can (14-½ oz) tomatoes, drained and cut up

* 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed

* 1 tbsp lemon juice

* 2 tsp grated gingerroot

* 1 tsp ground cumin

* 1 tsp curry powder

* 1 tsp ground coriander

* 1 tsp chili powder

* 1/2 tsp salt

* 1/4 tsp black pepper

* 1/4 cup raisins

* 2 tbsp light peanut butter

* 2 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro

Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add all remaining ingredients, except raisins, peanut butter, and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Stir in raisins, peanut butter, and cilantro. Mix well. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve hot.

• 2 months later...

Grilled these up tonite and they were a hit.

Teriyaki Turkey Burgers with Wasabi Mayo

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey

2 garlic cloves(remember daftpup's garlic rule)

1 T fresh ginger, grated(I'm not a big ginger guy so I used 1 tsp of the jar stuff)

1/4 C thick teriyaki sauce

3 green onions

1/4 C toasted sesame seeds

1/2 C bread crumbs

1/2 C mayo

1 t wasabi paste(I couldn't find the paste so I just mixed wasabi powder into the mayo)

Mix turkey, garlic, ginger, teriyaki suace, green onions, sesame seeds and bread crumbs.

Make 6 patties.

Mix mayo and wasabi and spread it on toasted buns.

Top with sliced cucumber and arugula and watercress.(I couldn't find arugula or watercress so I used romaine)

Try it...you'll like it :aok:

Edited by daftpup

That does sound good...I had turkey burgers for the 1st time about a month ago when the gf got on this health food kick and they were damn good...I'll have to post up the recipe...I made it with beef too and it was just as good...I donno what it is but everyone that eats them has some killer gas for the next couple days...

Nice!!

1 t wasabi paste(I couldn't find the paste so I just mixed wasabi powder into the mayo)

The wasabi powder is far superior than the premixed so don't bother buying any. Not to mention it is $3-4 for a 4-6oz tube. I have a great asian market by my house where I bought a kilo of the powder for either $8 or 10, can't remember now. We make our own sushi with it too. ;)

87pathmaker, damn, that sounds good!! I'll be making that next weekend, I'll just have to find something to use instead of the MSG seasoning.

I'll have to check when I get home, I'm sure I have some good additions!!

Hell, I'll even have "How to Wok the neighbors dog" if the stupid mutt craps in my garden again!! :P

B

For all you garlic lovers out there, here is something wonderful that I have found. PURE GARLIC JUICE!!!! :jig:

I use it for most everything, but still add cloves in recipies when you want the chunks. What it excels at is marinades,

garlic bread, salads and anything mixed. I've literally ordered cases at a time and shared them with co-workers and friends.

Everyone loves it and I'm due to set up another order soon. Some local stores may carry it also. I'm lucky, a country style

butcher 3 miles away has it on the shelf for the same price I can web order it.!!!

http://www.garlicvalleyfarms.com/

Enjoy!!

B

Vegetable braise for BBQ (or baking/broiling)

Mix all of the following...

1/4 cup Olive Oil (I use VGO w/garlic)

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1/2 tsp marjoram

1/2 tsp oregano

1 Tsp Garlic Salt

1/4 Tsp white pepper

1/4 Tsp black pepper

1/2 Tsp garlic powder or garlic juice

...and keep it warm. No need to marinade, just brush on before or

while cooking as approptiate.It will enhance the flavor of most any

vegetables without changing their taste.

Of course, adjust amounts according to personal taste but this is

a good place to start. Adding different spices is equally valid...

This is something I whipped up a month ago in a pinch and was delighted

by the results. It worked well with zuchinni, eggplant, asparagus, broccoli

and bell peppers. I imagine it would be equally valid with corn, potato

(not sure about sweet or yams) and squash.

Side note: I bought a rubber frond type marinade brush and found it to be

much better than the usual paint brush style. It dripped and spattered less

and was about 20x easier to clean.

B

For all you garlic lovers out there, here is something wonderful that I have found. PURE GARLIC JUICE!!!! :jig:

I use it for most everything, but still add cloves in recipies when you want the chunks. What it excels at is marinades,

garlic bread, salads and anything mixed. I've literally ordered cases at a time and shared them with co-workers and friends.

Everyone loves it and I'm due to set up another order soon. Some local stores may carry it also. I'm lucky, a country style

butcher 3 miles away has it on the shelf for the same price I can web order it.!!!

http://www.garlicvalleyfarms.com/

Enjoy!!

B

MMM. You may have just stumbled upon the elixir of the gods. Wonder if you could clear up a couple concerns I have about it.

Have you ever tried that minced garlic they sell? Some of it is in oil and some in water but certain brands taste like S--T, you know what I'm saying.

Does this stuff retain that nice natural garlic flavor? Also, what is the shelf life of it? I'm thinking it would be ideal for fishing trips and other such sojourns.

Great tip Precise :aok:

My perfect steak

I like to use Top Sirlion, but any cut should work

Brown Sugar

Chili Pepper

Garlic Salt

some sort of steak seasoning, which ever you perfer

Brown sugar is the key to the whole thing

Turn grill on HIGH

Take a liberal amount of brown sugar, and mix it with the rest of the spices. you want there to be more brown sugar than the rest. With the rest of the spices you just want enough to get a small taste.

Coat all sides of steak with rub, and let sit for a few minutes or long enough for the blood to turn the sugar mix in to a liquid, and then coat again.

Put steak on hot grill long enough to carmalize the brown sugar on both sides, then turn down heat and cook to liking.

Also go great with reduced onions with some cajun seasoning on them.

Nope, I've never tried their minced garlic as I agree with you, all others that I have tried are nothing like fresh minced garlic.

BUT, if it is anything like the garlic juice, you can't go wrong!! Give it a shot, guinnea pig... ;)

As for the juice, yes, it is pure garlic juice!! Smells and tastes like it but it does lack a little of the bite. It is not the same as fresh cut,

or squeezed, but it is quite close, certainly good enough. Especially when you have cloves around to augment it. Still, pump the spray

bottle once and blessed are you to behold the instant waft of garlic. There is little shortage of flavor and I have gone through at least 12

of the bottles in the last two yeasr with complete satisfaction. Hell, when I gave a bottle to Maritime Man, I gave him a spray on his shirt

just to illustrate the power. He cursed me liberally and actually threw the shirt away later due to lingering aroma... :)

The shelf life of any bottle I have seen was 6-12 months away from when I had it and they claim referigation is not required. I do, just on

principal, but I know plenty of people who don't and have never heard of an issue. WTF grows in garlic juice?? It keeps mosquitos away, is

an antibacterial and stinks!! Yes, it would be IDEAL for camping, I never thought of that. Thanks for the clue in!!

I'll tell you what. You buy and try. If not completely satisfied, I'll refund you, thats how sure I am of this. ;)

Oh, the spray bottles recycled have MANY uses. I have one with olive oil in it (stream rather than spray due to the viscosity), one with red wine,

one with Wright's Liquid Smoke (thinned to marinade, 3 parts water to 1 part WLS I think), and one with water for dousing BBQ flare ups. Another

is for the garden (10% isopropol alcohol, 90% water, dash of dish soap) to kill bugs...

For the best Beef Ribs EVER!!!

Beef Ribs:

Trim fat well and spray with garlic juice and Wrights liquid smoke thinned to marinade.

Salt, pepper and garlic salt them moderately.

Allow them to reach room temperature or something reasonable (1-2 hours time recommended).

Spray with red wine and BBQ/Bake/Broil. (optional, but recommended)

Tell me if I'm wrong, no one I've fed thinks so...

B

One more for good luck...

Salmon Salad

Good for crackers, sandwiches or salads.

6.5oz can of Salmon, drained, but reserve liquid

1/4 cup finely chopped red onions

1/8-1/4 cup finely chopped pickles (kosher dill recommended)

1-2 stalks of Green Onions (according to size/taste) Finely chopped

2 Tbsp mayo

1/2 Tsp garlic salt (max)

1/4 Tsp lemon pepper

1/4 Tsp garlic salt (or garlic juice)

1/4 Tsp dill

Dash of Olive oil

Optional welcome additives:

Chopped egg

Chopped cucumber

Taragon

Cream cheese (omit mayo)

Curry powder(TOTALLY different, but good taste, omit lemon pepper)

Mix it up in a bowl, adding reserved liquid if necessary for consistancy.

Can be chilled and eaten days later...

As per my 'invented' recipies, I recommend starting with the ingredients

and seeing what you get, then modifying from there. If you are relatively

adept, you can handle ingredient swaps on the fly. If you nail down an

alteration that is good, PLEASE POST IT!!

Thanks, and enjoy.

B

Pretty much these turkey or beef burgers are good as hell...

1. toast up 2 pieces of bread pretty good and chop it up into like 1/4" squares

2. put the meat in a bowl

3. mix in 1 egg white

4. add a package of italian seasoning (like the dressing kind) or you can just add in regular italian dressing (add more bread if you take this route)

5. 3-4 cloves of garlic minced up

6. (I throw in some Worcestershire sauce and some grated cheese and minced onions)

Pat them badboys out throw on grill drink some beers and top with your favorite fixin's

I like Mrs Cambell's Chow Chow with some onions, mayo, cheese and a touch of ketchup

chowsweetc.gif

my quick and dirty meal my mom used to make growing up was uhh i donno what it was called:

~Get 2 packages of hillshire farms kielbasa and cut it in like 1/2" slices

~brown up an onion in the pan and throw in the kielbasa

~Once the meat is mostly warmed up "cooked" add in a package of crinkle cut fries

~let cook on low for like 20 or so mins stirring occasionally (i usually stirred about every other game/couple beers)

slap it on a plate and smother it in ketchup

My Moms Rouladen recipe which is good as hell...(cut and paste straight from her email cuze i'm lazy)

Rouladen

6-8 thin round Steaks, beaten out thin

bacon, (raw) cut each slice in half (one half / rouladen roll)

1 medium to large onion, chopped fine

Dill Pickle Strips( one/Rouladen)

mustard oil

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 can Beef Boullion

1 package dry Onion Soup Mix

Toothpicks or string (I use string now...much easier

After beating out the steaks leave on counter and brush or spread mustard on each steak.....then put a half slice of bacon , then the pickle spear and then some onions. Fold ends in and then roll up and tie or use toothpicks to secure tightly...if use toothpicks you will probably need 2 or more per Rouladen. Next brown each on all sides in a skillet with some heated oil. Now mix the Cream of Mushroom Soup, the dry Onion Soup Mix and the Beef Boullion together and put in an oven safe, covered casserole dish. Now add the Rouladens and bake in a 325 degree oven for about an hour, checking on it every 10-15 min. , turning them and spooning the gravy over them so they will not dry out or burn....the slower and longer you cook them the more tender they are. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green veggie. :-)

and her good as hell egg roll recipe...she used to cook these up for me and all my friends about once every couple months...I haven't tried making htem lately and I'm sure I may tweak the recipe some but they're good

EGGROLLS

2 lbs. ground pork 1 can Bean Sprouts, drained

1 pack white Bean Threads, soaked in hot water, until soft, drain off water and then cut up in bite sized pieces

2 eggs beaten, one for in the eggroll mixture and one to seal them with after folding

2 bunches of Spring Green Onions, chopped

(use part of these in Fried Rice...recipe follows)

2 packages of Eggroll Wrappers

Season Salt, Salt & Pepper ( to taste)

Oil....for frying the eggrolls in

Put all ingredients in bowl, only 1 egg and mix well. Then put some mixture in each eggroll wrapper and fold and then seal with other beaten egg. Heat oil and fry for about 15 min. on each side or until well browned....take one out and cut in half to see if done. (will be a light pink in color when done)

Fried Rice

2 cups cooked Rice

Chopped cooked Ham or Steak (however much you want)

2 beaten eggs

1 stick melted margarine

Chopped Spring Onions

Season Salt

Soy Sauce...to taste

Melt margarine in frying pan...add beaten eggs and fry like an omlet, ....remove from pan, leaving melted margarine in pan and chop up and reserve for later. Now saute the green onions in remaining margarine. Next saute green onion in remaining margarine. Add Season Salt and Soy Sauce to taste. Just add a lil at a time so its not too salty. Now add your cooked rice and mix well and cook until well heated.

Sweet Sauce

3 cups of sugar 2 cup of water

Crushed red pepper, to taste

Few drops of Texas Pete, to taste

Combine all in a pot and bring to a boil...then reduce to a slow boil and let cook down until thickened like syrup. Use to dip eggrolls in.