4Runner Comparison?

Guest Lok47

I'm debating between getting a 2nd gen 4Runner and 90-95 Pathfinder. Does anyone have experience with these two vehicles? I'm wondering if performance and reliability are comparable.

Basically, I'm looking to get a reliable, 4x4 that can go off road occasionally and tow a motorcycle.

I've realized that the Pathfinders have lower resale values, therefore it's cheaper for to get into one. Is there something I should look for when checking out WD21 Pathfinders? I'm not too experienced with trucks. I've had experience with small cars and motorcycles. Thanks!

i like 4runners. that originally what i was looking for before i got my pathfinder. my buddy has a 97 lifted on 33's and everything i went through in my pathfinder (mud, thick brush, hills, etc), he tried and tore up some stuff severely. wheel bearing were toast, basically broke his steering (i dont kno how else to describe it). maybe thats just the new ones though. i like the first gen's.

I too was looking at 4 runners when I bought my Pathy. Main reason was that they were quite a bit cheaper for just as good of a vehicle in my book. One thing that turned me off was that SOME of the 91-95 4runners have defective head gaskets and SOME will be replaced by SOME dealerships under a 'silent recall' otherwise it's quite expensive. Do a web search and you'll find some info.

The Nissans run for a long time if properly maintained. Just check out the VIN and ask if the timing belt has been changed per schedule (88-93 are every 60,000 miles, 94-95 are 110,000 miles). Make sure to test out the 4x4. If you get an automagic and it doesn't have an aftermarket tranny cooler, put one on immediately and bypass the stock one. They are prone to clogging and thats gets ugly... They seem to have gotten cheaper lately due to the gas prices. Good luck !

B

I also thought I wanted a 4Runner when I got the path. But for a comparably equipped 4 I would spend about 3-4K more. I read the consumer reports and really it seemed all you paid for was the toyota name.. Good trucks. I cant offer any insight on the WD21's though.

this was my deciding factor....

craigslist had a 88 pathfinder for 1800 bucks. then to 1500. then to 1000. thats when i jumped on it. i ended up getting it for 950 bucks with no problems with it what so ever, it just needed routine work.

craigslist also had a 88 4runner for 3000 bucks. while the pathys price went down, the toyotas didn't move. P...

i know for the 1991 models alot of car mag's put the pathy over the 4 runner...thats why we bought it over the yota

as far as any other years and now...im not sure. both nowdays are pretty darn watered down in stock trim

So most people here are cheap wannabe 4runner owners. :D

When I bought the Pathfinder, I was looking at a lot of other 4x4's. All the Pathy's I checked out were in better general condition than the other SUVs and trucks I looked at. I looked at 4runners, Tacomas, Monteros, Rodeos, Cherokees, Fords, Chevy's, just about everything. I also liked the look of the WD21 more than the others. I found my Pathfinder for less than I was planning to spend, and saved some $ for mods.

So most people here are cheap wannabe 4runner owners.  :D

That describes me. :crazy:

I am a long time and happy owner of an '83 Yota 4x4, so when I decided that I wanted an SUV the 4Runner was my truck of choice... but like many, price changed my mind.

Do I regret it? yes and no, I still love Runners, but I also love my Pathy... currently running or not ;)

So, they are as capable as a 4Runner is in stock trim and just as reliable then right?

If thats the case, I'm probably going to look closer into Pathfinders then :)

Anybody have pics of their WD21?

Anybody have pics of their WD21?

Are you kidding"?!?!? :P

Pics? You can go to the main site, www.nissanpathfinders.com and click on the members rigs section to see a whole pile of them. Or, on the forums here, if you click on people's names, some people have pictures of their Pathy's in their info.

Edited by Simon

Are you kidding"?!?!? :P

Pics? You can go to the main site, www.nissanpathfinders.com and click on the members rigs section to see a whole pile of them. Or, on the forums here, if you click on people's names, some people have pictures of their Pathy's in their info.

sweet, thanks man!

when I was shopping, I was looking at everything, 4Runners included. The big deciding factor for me was that I found a used Pathy with a stick, and could not find a used 4Runner with a stick. I also went for it because my dad had a maxima that lasted FOREVER!

Like most here I was looking for a 4-Runner but mainly because of the Toyota name. We had an old Camry for over a decade and it never gave trouble and never quit. That one car sold me on Toyota and Japanese in general.

When I found my 93 Pathfinder it was in good shape, had super low mileage (50k miles), a low price and was a fully loaded SE with a 5-speed. For the same price (or more) a 4-runner for me would have been a plain Jane 4-cyl with significant rust.

After 3 years with the pathy and comparing it to my friends 4-runners I can say that the pathy a) rides better (but rear suspension is way more complicated) b ) the v-6 nissan is more reliable (change the timing belt!) c) looks better (no-one here will disagree I'm sure)

Performance and ability seem to be about equal (we're all stock but my posi rear gives me a traction advantage)

The only weakness in the Nissan is their electrical. But then my friends Toyotas are so plain that I don't believe one of them even has a cig lighter so they have a lot less electrical to worry about.

My opinion: The Pathfinder won't dissapoint you.

Like most here I was looking for a 4-Runner but mainly because of the Toyota name. We had an old Camry for over a decade and it never gave trouble and never quit. That one car sold me on Toyota and Japanese in general.

When I found my 93 Pathfinder it was in good shape, had super low mileage (50k miles), a low price and was a fully loaded SE with a 5-speed. For the same price (or more) a 4-runner for me would have been a plain Jane 4-cyl with significant rust.

After 3 years with the pathy and comparing it to my friends 4-runners I can say that the pathy a) rides better (but rear suspension is way more complicated) b ) the v-6 nissan is more reliable (change the timing belt!) c) looks better (no-one here will disagree I'm sure)

Performance and ability seem to be about equal (we're all stock but my posi rear gives me a traction advantage)

The only weakness in the Nissan is their electrical. But then my friends Toyotas are so plain that I don't believe one of them even has a cig lighter so they have a lot less electrical to worry about.

My opinion: The Pathfinder won't dissapoint you.

What problems are there with the electrical system on the Pathfinders?

I've always wanted a Pathy since having an 85 720 truck, but figured I'd get a 4Runner. Then I shopped, and fell in love with my Pathy quick. Thousands cheaper than a similar Toy and fully loaded with 100K miles. Mind you, I sold my old truck at 255K miles reluctantly cause with 31's and a 4cylinder it got 200 miles per tank. The summary of most everybody in this thread would be: You'd be fine with either, but probably more happy with a Pathfinder and some coin in your pocket toward toys.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a comfortable rig capable of travelling long distances in 2wd in Baja roads and light in weight because most of my 4wd would take place in sand. The lighter the vehicle the less power needed (remember the sand-rail racers that are all 2wd) . The Pathy was the best option. The 4 Runner is far heavier, consequently uses a little more gas in the road, that in itself is not a problem, but, in my opinon makes it less suitable for sand driving.

Lok47 Posted on Oct 5 2005, 08:43 PM

What problems are there with the electrical system on the Pathfinders? 

For me it hasn't been anything really serious but they are at times frustrating.

One of my headlights occasionally goes out and then comes back on. It is supposedly a common problem where the switch make bad contact. I have cleaned it and improved somewhat but problem is still there.

I have a gremlin under the bonnet that occasionally limits the engine revs to 2000 rpm and under. It comes and goes, sometimes months apart and sometimes weeks. It clears up on its own but I have absolutely no clue as to why.

A common elec problem I have heard about (but not experienced) is vehicles not turning over even with a new starter installed. Oh, and power locks that lock on their own when you slam the door. This one I have. Never leave your keys in the vehicle as they may "lock themselves in".

Having said all this, I still think the pathy was a better buy for me than a Toyota. Oh, and the wife's old Camry that I praised very highly did have problems. One electric window wouldn't go down (a broken wire) and the rear wiper stoppped working (a timer/switch gave out).

Brian