New to Offroading

MrGame

I got an 01 SE a couple of months ago with about 65k miles on it, and my pop says I shouldn't take it offroad because it's "old". You guys agree? Also, if i do go offroad you have any tips for driving? My truck is stock other than a westin safari bar and hella 500 lights, and Im buying some ranchos for it within the next few weeks.

Edit: also, i just spend 600 bucks on a set of michelin cross terrain Suv's, and supposedly theyre pretty good offroad, I know they're AWESOME on the road

post-7-1124464943.jpg

Edited by MrGame

You will find that a lot of the serious off-roaders here are well over 65k, and an 01 is not too old, check out the sections on earlier years.

You are only a sold as you feel (or want to be).

Have fun!

Old? HAHAHAHA....MOST off-roaders would say that your truck is too NEW to take off road....hell, its a 2001, but I digress...

Since you just bought tires, run with them for now, they're DECENT on dirt and small rocks, anything more and you'll wish you bought some ATs or MTs.

Where are you located? I can clue you in to some Nissan specific 4wheeling clubs where you wont catch as much crap for wheeling an R50, or maybe more, who knows...LOL...but, it's all in fun. :aok:

thanks for the replies, yeah I'm in NJ, not really anywhere too serious to go offroading, just some dirt trails and what not (Unless you go to the pine barrens). I don't really want to put a lift on my truck, and I like the safari bar lol, but yeah..I feel more confident about taking the 01 offroad now, I'll tell my dad that I posted about it..any driving tips for dirt?

You're in NJ?? PERFECT!

*Please hold for NIORA recruitment agent* B)

Heh...I've gotta have a little fun somehow on this website problem riddled Friday evening, eh. sssh

Anyways, you might be interested to hear about the club that I co-founded and am Vice-President of, the Northeast Import Off Road Association (NIORA).

What is NIORA you may ask?

Well, to put it simply, we are a group of everyday 4-wheeling junkies, who happen to drive Imports (Hey, that's you!) from all over the Northeast. We've got members in PA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, and more!

What do we do?

Well, we go 4-wheeling, duh! But seriously though, we hold 4 major off-road events each year at Rausch Creek or Paragon. One for each season throughout the year. We also do community building events such as Show-N-Shines, Mod Days, BBQs and all around get togethers, however, our the vast majority of our time is devoted to planning and holding the 4 major runs.

Speaking of Seasonal Runs...

Autumn is just around the corner, and so is the First Annual, NIORA Autumn Run - 2005. :aok: This run will be held at Rausch Creek Offroad Park in Joliet, PA the weekend of October 7-9. The event schedule is still in the works, and will be posted on the NIORA website (http://www.niora4x4club.com) within a couple of weeks.

Rausch Creek is a very club friendly OHV Park, with a little bit of everything for everybody, from stock grocery gitters to full blown competition rigs, RC has something for you. Translation: Don't worry about being stock, you will be more than able to run the green trails and possibly some light blues with your current setup MrGame. We will have a couple of trail groups - one stock, and one modified. Obviously, the modified group will be running more difficult trails than the stock group. Personally, I will be running with the Modified group for much of the run.

We've already got BlackPanther Armor, L&P Performance and several others on board as sponsors for the run, and there will be a raffle type giveaway on Saturday evening after the club dinner (must be present to win). We are trying very hard to get a couple people from the Back Country Driving School to come up for the day on Saturday to give a Winching and Recovery Safety Course for us.

All in all, this promises to be one hell of a bodacious weekend. So come on out, let's have us a blast! :aok:

Dang all that typing vengeful for a "Thanks man, sounds cool". LOL

Hey MrGame, your car is definitely not too old to take offroad. Like vengeful said, most people would say that its too NEW! If you're not wanting to lift it, then get some decent shocks for it and save up for some AT or MT tires.

DON'T GET THE CROSS TERRAINS!!!!

I currently have the Michelin Cross Terrain tires and they are garbage, i have gone through 9 tires this year alone, they are nothing special off the road except when they are brand new, they impressed me as brand new, but they wear down so qucikly with freeway driving, i dont recommend them for off orad, they are incredible in snow and on road, except that they wear quick

not sure, but I've had them for over a month now..they seem pretty good to me though, the truck handles and rides great, and they're really quiet, but I haven't taken them off the road yet..if I can't take them back, then i'll just wait until they wear out more and buy a set of offroading tires and just keep them for when i go offroad so they last a long time

I got an 01 SE a couple of months ago with about 65k miles on it, and my pop says I shouldn't take it offroad because it's "old". You guys agree? Also, if i do go offroad you have any tips for driving? My truck is stock other than a westin safari bar and hella 500 lights, and Im buying some ranchos for it within the next few weeks.

Edit: also, i just spend 600 bucks on a set of michelin cross terrain Suv's, and supposedly theyre pretty good offroad, I know they're AWESOME on the road

Don't worry about what tires or shocks you have, just find a place to legally go and bring some friends...(To help you get unstuck) Once you've been out several times you'll get a feel for what Mods you want to do to the Pathy and how to drive off road. Out here in SoCal most mild off road tires will work in 80% of the areas since most of the areas are Fire access or BLM unimproved roads. A lift isn't really needed here either, unless you want to rockcrawl or do some sand dune jumping.

I went offroading for 2 years with stock suspension and a set of BFG radial long trails....I was sure to go with someone who had more experience than me (even though he drove a sheep)

I think the most important thing for offroading is packing. Tow straps, chains, shovel, CB radio, cell, Nextel, etc...

Good luck, have fun, and always check the depth of those mud pits before you enter

I carry an old pool cue....Two days after finding a good place inside the truck to store it, i decided to try this small (So it seemed) puddle that was only on the passenger side and was only like 4-5' long, of course I didn't use the pool cue.....BAM!!! Right front falls into a 3' deep pit from hell! The ground was level with the passenger window, i almost slid out of my seat and into the passenger seat! After an hour of waiting for AAA (I was on an unincorporated road, had a name and a street sign, only to have the tow truck driver tell me no way he was afraid he'd get stuck, I walked him along the way I thought he should use to get to me, and along with $40 he yanked me out!

USE THE TOOLS YOU BRUNG...DUMBASS!

My buddy who has a jeep found a good place in Sayreville, NJ. His truck is mostly stock also, and his dad took it there and said it went through everything fairly easily. So I'll probably take a trip down there (it's about 1/2 hour) and check it out this weekend. Vengeful I'm very interested in that offroading event you were talking about, do you think I would be ok in the stock class?

post-7-1124840708.jpg

Edited by MrGame

If you're in the New Jersey area - try looking up NJAX's board... theyre the New Jersey Area Xterra Club... I dont know if theyre as non-xterra friendly as the Xterra club I'm with - have a look around their boards - you might find some info...

My buddy who has a jeep found a good place in Sayreville, NJ. His truck is mostly stock also, and his dad took it there and said it went through everything fairly easily. So I'll probably take a trip down there (it's about 1/2 hour) and check it out this weekend. Vengeful I'm very interested in that offroading event you were talking about, do you think I would be ok in the stock class?

Yes, you'll be fine stock. :aok: