Path's not well.

RedPath88

More, much bigger problems..

First a little update…

Changed the plugs a couple day’s ago. Put in some Autolites (it was all they had six of) then after test drive I immediately removed them... truck ran like sh*t. Took them back the next day and got my money back.

Found a Schucks that had NGK’s (Standard Plug) in stock. Installed them last night and also changed the TBI gaskets, as I discovered that one or both of them were leaking.

Ok now the current situation…

Today it ran decent though it suffered from a bit of a power loss. This became a little more obvious later on my way home from work. Then it just died, I coasted it off the road and into a gas station parking lot. I did not hear anything just before or when it died, because there was a semi right next to me and it was in dire need of new exhaust… so much so that I could hardly hear my radio.

The Path as far as I could tell, simply died. I did not even know it until I tried to accelerate (I was coasting towards a red light at the time) .

Since I have been through something very like this before I did not try to start it right away. Last time it “just died” while driving down the road I was doing 60mph and the RH Cam snapped. So instead I pulled the upper timing cover and inspected the belt and camshaft sprocket gears… all looked good.

Pulled the RH valve cover and inspected that as well, again it all looked good. One thing that I did notice when pulled the air cleaner off was that fuel was around the mounting stud holes and all over the underside of the sir cleaner cover. Trying to start it without the air cleaner assembly cover on resulted in fuel splashing up (more like a fine mist, I guess). But again, the cylinders never fired. Note that it is getting spark.

I was not able to verify that the timing was correct, for check to see if the timing belt had jumped any teeth on any pulleys.

Right now it’s sitting in Puyallup (30 miles or so away from home) and I am nervous as hell that it won’t be there or will be damaged when I get back to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by RedPath88

Shiet Red !! I don't know the TBI system at all, but it sounds like you are getting compression blowby at the intake valves if you have a gas "fine mist" spraying up. I've seen this on a totally different vehicle that would cough and then ignite the mist. Scared the crap out of me to see the air filter housing bulge and jump !! It was worse with the lid off, the flames almost stole my eyebrows. Sorry, I digress. How old is the timing belt ? Is the tension correct ? Could it have jumped on the cam(s) ? Any chance of abrasive or oil destructive crap getting in the engine (wearing valve guides or seats) ? Still, that it noticably got worse is odd. The truck is probably ok, don't worry about it. At least it is the weekend so you have some time ? Know anyone with a big truck so you can dolly or trailer it home ? Keep us posted !

B

Good point V6, I forgot about the timing, thats probably the first thing to check...

B

I had a V8 Commodore and a similar thing happened. Just had the car serviced and while driving it home it began to run rough and then stalled. The stupid f*ckers at the garage forgot to tighten the dizzy retention bolt.

My engine in the Pathy doesn't have a dizzy, does the Nissan?

Yes, it does. I didn't think about it because if it hasn't been messed with, it wouldn't change by it's self. But then I don't know what Red did when he was under the hood, so it very well could be the culprit. Rebuilding an old VW, I once put the dizzy in 180 off, that was a head scratcher for a few hours !! :D

B

I am borrowing my neighbor’s truck tomorrow to go get it. Mr. Pickles, I thank you much for the offer!

Timing Belt is.. umm lets see, last changed when I replaced the broken RH cam… maybe 1.5yrs or maybe 25-30K ago

Abrasive materials: Yes, some dirt possibly, but very little if any.

Spark: I checked the coil wire and cylinders 1and 3… Will check it all after I get her home.

V6.. a “dizzy”?

Timing: Will be verifying the cams/crank timing marks and belts relation after its home.

---------------

Went and checked on it tonight and so far so good, but the store/gas station was still open at the time.

Ok by dizzy, are you referring to the distributor?

If so then yes (as B already said), they do have one.

I have not removed that but have adjusted it in the past couple weeks. However, prior to loosening the retaining bolt, I marked its position. It was also returned to the same location as it was before I started "adjusting" it.

Ok by dizzy, are you referring to the distributor?

Yes, dizzy as in spinning 'round and 'round. The only way I can see that 'moving' its self is if it is not seated correctly, and the gear skips occasionally, but I honestly doubt that as you did not pull it and would probably notice it. Might be worth checking the condition of the gear teeth if you cant anything else. Check your manual for the TDC relocation process if you do. I cant think of anything else right now. Go get her and start checking... Hopefully you can find something simple. Keep us informed.

B

Ok got it home today.. What a PITA to do by yourself (given the place it was parked)

I was unable to devote much time at all to it after getting it home. But, I did notice that one of the cams "appears" to be one tooth off. This is in relation to each other and the cam timing marks. How they are compared to the cranks position, I do not yet know. :shrug:

EDIT: she was in one piece (other that what I removed) and otherwise unharmed.

Edited by RedPath88

“Time” it's all about the time to dig in. I get a few minutes here and a few there but never enough in at any one time to really dig in.

Have to study my A$$ off for an important test Friday and at the same time, try to find time for the Path (which is also important)

Sucky thing about the test is that I don’t exactly know what it will cover…

ME

ll ll

ll ll

V V

wall.gif

OK I managed to get a bit of time in on it tonight...

Removed the fan, the fan shroud and the accessory belts.

Removed the crankshaft pulley.. Which BTW, was a MAJOR PITA. I actually stripped out one pullers threaded shaft doing it (Luckily I had a second puller).

I also removed the lower timing cover.

As I was trying to take the CS Pulley off is when I noticed something different from Friday when I looked at the T Belt after it stopped running. The belt and cams do not move when the crank was moved.

After getting the cover of, it was verified that the crank shaft timing belt sprocket was freely spinning on the crankshaft.

This is where I had to leave it, hopefully I will be able to get out there tomorrow and take the belt off and take a closer look at the sprocket and CS.