Is the war making gas prices higher?

statikuz

Is the war making gas prices higher?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is the war making gas prices higher?

• Yes, very much so
    • Yes, kinda
    • No

"Yes, kinda" mainly because all the Hummers, Bradleys, Abrams, helicopters, jets use a LOT of gas. Did you know the US petroleum reserve is almost full for the first time in history ? Bush has been fattening the oil barons, and they have shown record profits during his admin. On the other hand, we have had cheaper gas prices than the rest of the world for a LONG time. Why is it we sell most of our produced oil to Japan and other countries if we need it so bad here ?? I say get ready for $3-3.5 a gallon pretty soon. It certainly wont go down; China needs all it can buy. Supply and demand... :shrug:

B

They were saying on Nightline or whatever show that was, that we are using 84 million barrels of oil and we are only producing 85 million barrels.... mmm K..howzabout we go rob some from Suddam then eh?

They were saying on Nightline or whatever show that was, that we are using 84 million barrels of oil and we are only producing 85 million barrels.... mmm K..howzabout we go rob some from Suddam then eh?

Little late, the're doing that already. Have you forgotten about the war in Iraq?

While I do not currently work for them I put 22 years in with Exxon/Mobil. The only legitamate reason is delivery disruption. What we have here is commodity brokers running the crude future price up which "forces" the real price to go up. Additionally there have been some mysteryous shut downs at refineries in teh country. Why take a refiner down for maintainence during the summer season? There have been some legitamate shut downs for small fires but nothing unusual. BP is the first to raise the price at the pump and they have NO crude source from the middle east. They get Alaskan and SOuth American crude only. Look at big oil profits. They have been going up and up in teh last few months. If it is truely an initial crude cost profits don't go up.

One big truth--- the US has not built a refinery in decades and many have closed. There are many resaons for this, but a big one is that no one wants a refinery near where they live. Lets face it these need to be on the coast some place not in the middle of Kansas.

rebuttles?

oh, i'll have to comment more when i come back but the shrub is a slick foker so YES is my answer.. it's really more because of policies then the war itself but that's heavily tied to all of this..isn't BP really Royal Duch Shell? they get their oil from the middle east too!

EI= energy independence

Imagine the push towards learning to use our US farm lands for alternative fuel sources we could have invested with some of the billions of $ that are getting burried in Iraqi sands and war profiteers pockets...

or tidal energy

or hydro

Well said lgranch ! :clap: Only problem with refinerys on the coast is that the ocean already has such high concentrations of heavy metals that some fish are not good eating any more. That is simply astounding when you stop and think about it !! The answer is that there are no good places for refinerys.

Exactly earth1 !! :clap: Don't forget solar and wind !! What we need to do is use solar power (and others) to create electricity for use in breaking down water into H and O2. It is easy to make an engine to run on hydrogen and all it produces is heat and steam. Completely 'free' energy that does not significantly impact the natural cycle and balance. Gee, what a concept !!! Of course, smaller better designed vehicles would help also but 75% of Amurikans would never go for that. :shrug:

B

It is easy to make an engine to run on hydrogen and all it produces is heat and steam. Completely 'free' energy that does not significantly impact the natural cycle and balance. Gee, what a concept !!!

B

This is why it will never happen. No money in this idea for the oil companies is there?

fast growing thread. but i digress...

watch the news, read the paper, use google. the answers are everywhere.

Long story(ies) short, terrorism, shut down refineries (for repairs and renovations) and some saudi dude thats dying are the reasons for the sudden gas hike....

The reason its been steadily climbing regardless of terrorism and what not. is becuase of a a shortage of oil refineries. in the early 80's ( I heard) a bunch of refineries where no longer needed and shut down. now we dont have enough refineries to keep up with demand... supply and demand.... now its expensive... they wont make new refineries because that would be stupid on their part, buisnesswise. it sucks but theres not much we can do about it except try to drive less.... drive more fuel efficient cars... and PUSH for hydrogen CUMBUSTION engine cars.

just my .02

It is easy to make an engine to run on hydrogen and all it produces is heat and steam. Completely 'free' energy that does not significantly impact the natural cycle and balance. Gee, what a concept !!!

B

This is why it will never happen. No money in this idea for the oil companies is there?

it has less to do with oil companies and more to do with your own saftey and te saftey of others... compressed hydrogen isn't exactly the best thing to be lugging around in a tank during a high speed crash. fortunatly BMW(i think) just pattented a new tank that stays very cool, and keeps the hydrogen in a liquid state at a low pressure... its nearly puncture proof and has several insulating layers within the tank.... its now deemed road safe and production COULD start within the next few hundred years. lol... ok ok, 15 max

Nah, it's just an excuse, not a reason.

no b/c of the economic success of the oil companies in america...and how we cant build more refinaries and what not...its kinda like back in the day when rockerfeller had half the oil and the other guy had the other half...then they busted it up into a bunch of smaller compainies to distribute lower price wars...but now its all becoming a couple main groups and they want to make more $ so gas goes up b/c we have lots of crude oil just not refined...

5 years...everything will be diesel...then in another 15 or so it'll be all fuel cells(which are already being used in some 3rd world countries already as power stations)...

hyrdogen wont explode thats the #1 myth of it...

We have a million wind thingies all over the Altamont pass.. but every time I drive over the pass... only about 25% of them, if that, are ever working.... umm.....guys...like...hellooooooooooooooo *smacks self in head*

fast growing thread. but i digress...

watch the news, read the paper, use google. the answers are everywhere.

Long story(ies) short, terrorism, shut down refineries (for repairs and renovations) and some saudi dude thats dying are the reasons for the sudden gas hike....

The reason its been steadily climbing regardless of terrorism and what not. is becuase of a a shortage of oil refineries. in the early 80's ( I heard) a bunch of refineries where no longer needed and shut down. now we dont have enough refineries to keep up with demand... supply and demand.... now its expensive... they wont make new refineries because that would be stupid on their part, buisnesswise. it sucks but theres not much we can do about it except try to drive less.... drive more fuel efficient cars... and PUSH for hydrogen CUMBUSTION engine cars.

just my .02

You've been watching too much Fox news. Did I say news? :laugh: -thnkboutit-

B

it has less to do with oil companies and more to do with your own saftey and te saftey of others... compressed hydrogen isn't exactly the best thing to be lugging around in a tank during a high speed crash. fortunatly BMW(i think) just pattented a new tank that stays very cool, and keeps the hydrogen in a liquid state at a low pressure... its nearly puncture proof and has several insulating layers within the tank.... its now deemed road safe and production COULD start within the next few hundred years. lol... ok ok, 15 max

You will not see it in your life time. Ever heard of the Sarich orbital engine? It was invented by an Aussie guy and got something like 100k's to a litre in a mid sized car. Guess who bought the rights to the engine? An oil company in the USA. Funny that after 35 or so years we still do not see any sign of the engine on our roads.

Taking up the Mantle

Australia was introduced to mileage marathons in 1980. Ralph Sarich's orbital engine won the first event at Sydney's Warwick Farm with a consumption of 2,948 miles per gallon, 0.096 l/100km.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

And there are many others sitting on a shelf in the back rooms of oil companies. It's a real pity too. Once the worlds oil begins to run low they will bring them out and then charge $400 a gallon for fuel.

Edited by SteveWA

compressed hydrogen isn't exactly the best thing to be lugging around in a tank during a high speed crash

Oh, I'm sorry, a single walled 20 gallon gas tank is ok then ??? I'll take the hydrogen tank risk !!

The bit about hydrogen not exploding... What ?? You are joking, right ? Hindenberg... It also goes bang in a cylinder. Tell me you typo'd or I read it wrong.

Ralph Sarich's orbital engine

No, I have never heard of it. Thanks for the tip though, I'll look it up !! I spend a lot of time studying alternatives to gasoline and that sounds VERY interesting. From what you say, the moral of the story is if you have something that good, don't sell the patent, get a group of investors and produce it !!

LOL Steve, you are probably right !! Hopefully soon I will have a place to work and I have some ideas to work on. Nothing that will make it main stream, just prove alternatives to regular gas engines... :shrug:

B