Roof Rack

Guest Desert Dog

Guest Desert Dog

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie and have had my pathy for about a year and had to do some mechinical work and now I am looking to mount a roof rack for additional gear on camping trips. I have no current roof rack and am wondering what the best option is? Welding?

Barry

post-19-1123642898.jpg

Welding indeed is the best option for anything. :beer:

In the mean time I suggest you look on eBay for a used Thule 400 system and get yourself a proper fit kit for your Pathy from a Thule dealer or their site. That is unless you want to pay for everything brand new.

Ditto. I've had a Yakima rack for like 2 years. Picked it up on eBay for maybe 1/3 of the brand new price. They're also pretty easy to mount and remove if you need or want, but lock up nice and secure.

And welcome, by the way!

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Although I agree with some of the other options if you just looking for a permanently mounted rack that does not take a lot of work, yet is functional enough for most things. You would do like I did, and take measurements of the max size you want to mount, then look around in a wrecking yard.

I ended up getting a rack from a 90’s Blazer, since the blazer was a four door it was a bit longer than I wanted. But that was easily solved by trimming the front-to-back bars down (it was also a bit wide but again, it was just a little trimming of the cross bars). After getting its dimensions correct I test fitted it.

Then marked its location and drilled the holes. Once mounted, it’s solid as can be… I have put it to the test many times now.

• 3 weeks later...