Who here has actually drove...

Duffman

Today was the first time I actually had the...experiance of driving a Jeep. It was a coworkers 90 something circle light(i think) with about 130,000 on it. First of all every story Ive heard about Jeeps in general is that they dont last past 70,000. Second of all this car friggin sucks. The steering is garbage, the brakes are like, either off or locked up, the line of sight is terrible, the seats are uncomfortable, the whole cockpit is ugly and tight.

The real question is what is the obession with these cars? What is the hype? Why would you pick this to make into a 4 wheeler?

One thing i did like however was looking out the backside while backing up, its like a fishbowl back there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more then likly is because...

1)people are stupid

2)people are dumb

3)people are idoits

4)its small and can fit into holes between rocks when it breaks in half and bridges the way for us LOL

5)it was in world war 2

6)it has roll bars so as i said in 1,2, and 3, it must be an off roader

Edited by FLApathy

I had a '87 6 cylinder Wrangler a while back. It was a fun little car that had no room whatsoever, was a complete slug after the 32" MT's were mounted, wouldn't start in the rain...

The draw for that vehicle is the short wheelbase, solid front axle, light weight, and more aftermarket support than you could squirt a dead toad at.

Back in the CJ days it was a pretty cool way to get around but once Chrysler suburbanized it, all hope was lost.

yes he is right chylser hit it with its ugly stick and yes there are tons and tons and tons of aftermarket parts, summit has there own jeep section and it is small with a short wheel base so it can turn better and can fit, like i said, in small places

umung others

Edited by FLApathy

To follow up on FLAp'ers comments. Circa ww2, the Willy's jeep was the hummer of today; sadly, no longer. Things that have to be considered...

1) Marketing: a HUGE segment of the population buys what they are told to buy without doing any real research or comparison shopping. They are too stupid.

2) Made in Ammurika: A lot of people are so nationalistic that they'd rather buy local crap than imported goodness. Maybe thats good thing, but I cant afford to. I had someone yell "Buy American' when I was on my Honda motorcycle. I told him as soon as Americans built something as good I would.

3) Ego & Attitude: While the newer Harleys are actually marginally competent, for decades they were complete crap, yet people would still buy them. Transfer that over to Jeeps.

4) Short term ownership: I'd actually argue that american vehicles are worth buying, if you buy them new and upgrade every 2-4 years. Thats before the major problems start and then it's someone elses problem. Of course, then you always have payments...

I have seen some NICE jeeps, and I'm not afraid to say it. Last week when I left a scrap yard, there was 00ish Wrangler with 37" tires parked next to me. It make my Pathy look like a stationwagon. I looked all over it and it seemed to be set up very well, and could no doubt go where I couldn't even conceive of. Having never owned a Jeep, I have no idea how relaible it would be, and to me thats a big factor. I also couldn't imagine using it as a daily driver. Still it was impressive. To each their own, I say. Personally, I like what I have, especially for the reliability and the price I paid.

B

OK. Although I took a little offense at some of the "idiots own Jeeps" kind of comments.. I assume that I am also a stupid idiot for owning a Jeep? well.. you are entitled to your opinion wholeheartedly.. just don't expect me to help pull you out when you are stuck.. or broke down on teh side of the road.. I can take insults pretty well.. but my gawd!

I sold (actually.. I swapped) my '92 S-10 (it was immaculate and ran like new) with 210,000 miles on it for my '90 Jeep Wrangler Islander from an ex bf and good buddy of mine. i loved the Jeep from the day he bougth it and had always wanted one of my own. My reasons? 1) can fit in a matchbox 2) easily modified in any which way you want to go 3) good gas mileage 4) love driving around topless 5) very fun to wheel. I beat the snot out of that 4.2 motor, was running 33's with a 6" suspension lift. yes.. in a head wind you are screwed (not gunna brag about the Pathy with the a/c on either!), they are no fun on long trips, which is why I had it as a SECOND vehicle to my Pathy.. I bought the Pathy a year after the Jeep. It had been my primary, but with the attraction to theives, she was used primarily for cruisin town, short trips, and 4 wheeling. I loved my Jeep and have never regretted owning it, although last ear when it came crunch time, she got sold and I kept the Pathy, only because of the cost of insurance, nowhere safe to keep her, and the Pathy could carry more people in comfort. (I had taken teh abck seat out of my Jeep). I do miss the Jeep sometimes.. but am glad I kept the Pathy. I would love to have a CJ5 or 7 someday for wheelin, but for now the Pathy is the work horse and wheelin vehicle. I was never your "average" Jeeper... I didn't care what you drove..as long as you enjoyed it, that's your puraggotive (sp). I never acted like my Jeep was better than anyones, and do not have that "my siht don't stink" attitude. Jeeps are fun, I had 100,000 miles on it when I sold her last summer, and it was very reliable (unless I drowned it or did something stupid).. the only thing I ever had to change was the ignition module, which took me all of 15 minutes, and $83. I reast my case as to why I was one of the stupid people who owned a Jeep. Here's a pic of her... -bounce-

And after one of my stupid moments when I plowed into really deep water she could easily have gone through at a slower speed.. but I caused a title wave and drowned her... BTW... after drying everything out.. we got her jump started and I drove her all the way home.. the GMC I was with wasn't so lucky.. and the 2003 Tacoma I was also with fried his alternator too. After installing a new alternator, draining my oil (no water anywhere!) my Jeep was good to go. Here she is drying out.

i know i was digging my self into a hole when i said that but the fact is that you own pathfinders, not just a jeep, so you guys arent stuck up about driving a jeep, jeep drivers become idiots when they think they are better than everyone else (or any 4x4 driver), i would never call you guys and girls stupid for driving a jeep, i have respect for jeeps and drivers but not when they think the way most of them do, and if you dont want to pull me out of a hole or help me out if i were broke down fine but i would help you or anybody else no matter what they drive, i believe its an unspoken rule, i wouldnt care what somebody said to me because i would want them to do the same for me, and there is always going to be somebody or something better than me are you (reader) and i know that and most of the time youll be better than somebody else but i dont think thats a way to judge people weather it be a jeep or pathfinder

i know i was digging my self into a hole when i said that but the fact is that you own pathfinders, not just a jeep, so you guys arent stuck up about driving a jeep, jeep drivers become idiots when they think they are better than everyone else (or any 4x4 driver), i would never call you guys and girls stupid for driving a jeep, i have respect for jeeps and drivers but not when they think the way most of them do, and if you dont want to pull me out of a hole or help me out if i were broke down fine but i would help you or anybody else no matter what they drive, i believe its an unspoken rule, i wouldnt care what somebody said to me because i would want them to do the same for me, and there is always going to be somebody or something better than me are you (reader) and i know that and most of the time youll be better than somebody else but i dont think thats a way to judge people weather it be a jeep or pathfinder

well spoken flap, my dad has a 94? jeep cherokee and it seems to have been decent to him (one of those I have to buy american guys), but I personally like my 93 pathy way more than his jeep, and I think he secretly does too :P , oh yeah and, wtf, he would have to lift his just to fit 31's, thats no offroadin rig (factory wise) by a long shot

...but the fact is that you own pathfinders, not just a jeep, so you guys arent stuck up about driving a jeep, jeep drivers become idiots when they think they are better than everyone else (or any 4x4 driver)...

You have to admit... we all think that we are better than Jeepers. I personally think my Pathfinder is better than Jeeps, not because of the capability, mostly because of it's stance. I love the high slopeing hood and slopeing rear windshield. I am one of the few who absolutely love the looks of the Pathfinder. Mine is best, though. Black with everything on it black or blacked out.

I've driven an '02 Wrangler with a 3" suspension lift and 33" Duelers. Manual transmission, the trim level underneath the Rubicon. I loved it! Quite a bumpy ride and slow as a snail, but I liked it a lot. And it looked gorgeous too; black with a tan hardtop (he has a soft top, bikini top, and some half doors as well, but I drove it in the winter and they weren't on at the time), 15" chrome wheels. I couldn't picture it as a daily driver, however. And when I compare the fact that the owner got it for 12,000 and I got my truck for 3,000, I consider myself to have gotten the better deal.

I don't think my Pathfinder's better or worse than a Jeep. I think it's different. Take that as you may.

My stepdad has a 2-door Cherokee with the 6. It works OK, but it feels loose and kinda funky to drive, suspension-wise and steering-wise. The engine has adequate power and it has enough room inside. I'd drive it for kicks if it were given to me, but I wouldn't go out and buy one, personally.

no. I am saying if someone was making fun of me and called me stupid out on a trail for driving what I do, and then got stuck and asked for help...I would be like "WTF dude...didn't you call me a retard and stupid a while back?"... I do not have the mentality of a LOT of Jeepers.. and it is a shame there are folks out there who do. I love my Pathy, I loved my Jeep.. I love our Chevys.... if it has 4wd, looks big, ugly and mean.. chances are, I'll like it! *giggles*

it's kinda funny, when I would wheel the Jeep, then go and get the Pathy (same day) I suddenly got treated a lot different by the same people who thought I was so great while in my Jeep...can people really be that shallow? yes, they can. sad but true. maybe that was one of my deciding factors also to keep the Pathy and sell the Jeep? Just so when my Pathy is done I can go back to the people I used to wheel with and show them a thing or 2? I hate to be 'smacked down" for what I drive, and I am a great believer in "you drive what you want, I'll drive what I want". Maybe, if us Pathy drivers show the Jeep drives what WE can do.. their mentality will change.. just keep smiling even when you'd rather sock them in the jaw...

don't worry FLA... I would still stop and help you out. :aok:

Jeeps are fine for off-roading, it's just that everyone has one and I don't really want to be just like everyone else. If Jeeps didn't make good off road rigs you wouldn't see them being used in competitions ;)

Speaking of top down doors off wheeling fun you could also get a Suzuki Samurai. Of course it's only got a 60 hp engine (and here I was thinking the Pathy was underpowered!). I'v seen a couple modified for off-roading around here and I really like the looks of them. Hmm I wonder how much one would cost? :contract: :X

Of course I'd never get rid of the pathy, but having a strictly trail rig would be fun...

i actually like jeeps. dont get me wrong, i like my pathfinder, but i actually was about to buy a 94 4 door 4x4 cherokee. i test drove that thing and loved it. the engine had about 190,000 miles on it and it still drove great. im not a big fan of wranglers nor libertys though. i guess like somebody said above, EVERYBODY has a jeep.

Seeing how the Jeep thing went.

:secret: I'm kinda wondering if I should mention that I lead a double life... the second one as a Yotaman :hide:

'88 Path & '83 Yota... proud of both! :beer:

Seeing how the Jeep thing went.

:secret: I'm kinda wondering if I should mention that I lead a double life... the second one as a Yotaman :hide:

'88 Path & '83 Yota... proud of both! :beer:

Well at least you never said Chevy :X

No problem Red... ;) If it is something interesting, post a pict ! I was looking at 4runners also when I bought the Pathy. I prefered the size, styling, price, and characteristics of the Pathy... Not to mention the 720 that I was replacing was the best vehicle I have ever owned so Nissan was favored. ;)

B