Who here has actually drove...

Duffman

No problem Red... ;) If it is something interesting, post a pict ! I was looking at 4runners also when I bought the Pathy. I prefered the size, styling, price, and characteristics of the Pathy... Not to mention the 720 that I was replacing was the best vehicle I have ever owned so Nissan was favored. ;)

B

:::Wipes sweat from forehead::: :D

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of it... or if not I'll just take a new one ;)

It's not extremely pretty to look at.. you would be hard pressed to find a flat spot on it.. but that truck and I have a great history together... it's like a best friend to me!

Like you, I was also looking for a 4Runner when I bought my Path... the deciding factor for me was mostly the price.. 'Runners cost more than Paths. But don't get me wrong I love my Path and don't regret getting it. :aok:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think my Pathfinder's better or worse than a Jeep. I think it's different. Take that as you may.

ding! ding! ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!!

As some of you may know, we wheel with a family of jeepers... so I cant say anything bad about jeeps, or the drivers in general... yes, there is the stereotypical 'I'm better than you because I have a jeep' attitude amongst some people... but whatever... I'm not going to knock someone simply becuase they drive a different truck than I do... that's stupid...

I was chatting with a friend about jeeps and wheeling, and why someone would want one...

When I bought the pathy, I bought it because, it wasnt a car and it was a 4 door. I never intended on wheeling it. Before we had the X, we had no intensions on wheeling at all... we bought the X because we liked it. Then we found SOXC, and found what you can do with the truck (and also the Pathy)... that's when the interest in wheeling came...

I honestly think if we went out to buy a truck for wheeling back before the X and the Pathy, we would have got a Jeep... mainly because they're the most known for offroading. I've always loved the look of the jeeps, even as a kid... The idea of taking the roof and the doors off on a nice sunny summer day is awesome!!

Now that we are into wheeling & know a bit more, I have to admit, more than once we have been jealous of the amount of aftermarket parts you can get, the prices you can get them at, and the availability... Wheeling with jeepers have shown us that they can do a lot more with their rigs... although, in those cases, they are not driving their daily driver like we are...

BUT, at the same time... when there's 34682943 bugs out, I roll up the windows, when it's hot as hell out, I flip on the AC, when it's cold, hello heat, rain - oh - windows again!! When camping, I can haul a lot more stuff, if it's cold weather camping, down go the back seats, and helllooooo bedtime!!

Oh, and I can fit a lot more groceries in my pathy!! hehehe...

We all have our pros & cons, it's all about what you want.

Edited by Pezzy

Seeing how the Jeep thing went.

:secret: I'm kinda wondering if I should mention that I lead a double life... the second one as a Yotaman :hide:

'88 Path & '83 Yota... proud of both! :beer:

Well at least you never said Chevy :X

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY now! lol. my other truck is a Chevy if you remember for my project mud truck! and allllllllllllllllllll the trucks n cars my bf have are CHEVY..and I traded my CHEVY for the JEEP...*rolmao*....

BUT! I am with Pezzy (and previously stated by myself) that I am glad I haev my Pathy.. I had been looking for a 4 runner also..and if it has 4 wheels..is reliable..and can take some hits off road...well then... it's ok in my book (as long as it's NOT a Ford..)... sssh :X did I saaaaaaay thaaaaat? not me! :laugh:

No problem Red... ;)  If it is something interesting, post a pict !...

B

Well here it is. Overall it's has not been modified greatly... as in no lockers, dual transfer case set up.. nothing like that.

Just lifted and taken care of.

Total of about 6in (4 spring/2 shackle) lift when it was installed quite a few years ago.. rear is sagging some so I may replace the springs or just toss a 1-2in block under it.. although I dislike lift blocks!

TLC from the time I got it... converted to power steering (arguably the best change I made) 33x12.50 BFG Mud Terrains.. not the KM's as these tires are... hmm, they have got to be "at least" 8yrs old!, NWOR Recurve Kit (results of that are up in the air), extended brake lines, JVC system installed with deck/12 disk changer/amps/AL and RF fronts and subs... and little stuff that I just don't recall right now

Have a replacement cab sitting in the garage for it, still need fenders, a hood and a bed. Cab will be heavily modified prior to mounting on the frame... this is a long term project that has become longer term due to the fact that single parents don't have a lot of time for such things lol

EDIT: The 15x8.5 Centerlines currently on this truck will be making the move the the Pathy... have some 15x10 Alcoa for the Yota.

83Toy_RedPath88.JPG

Edited by RedPath88

Logged over 180K miles on two different Cherokee Sports('93 and '98). Had decent luck as far as reliability goes(over a 6 year period) and they will run circles around my Pathfinder when the pavement ends. More clearance, lighter, better approach/departure angles, shorter wheelbase, etc. Would I trade the Pathfinder for another Jeep???? Not if the future of the human race depended on it.

ding! ding! ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!!

Overall post... Well spoken! I agree completely

Oh, and I can fit a lot more groceries in my pathy!! hehehe...

Off-road grocery-gitter!

We all have our pros & cons, it's all about what you want.

And that in the end is the most important thing... get what everyone else has instead of what you want and you'll always doubt what you bought.

I'll kid around as much as the next guy, but I can't stand the "mine's better than yours" attitude of some folks. We all have our own preferences and biases, but admit it. We've all seen really cool vehicles from the manufacturer we talk smack about.

I'm probably gonna get a lot of flack for this, but Jeeps are kinda like Harleys. Both are pretty cool and fully capable of the function they were built to do, but neither is the be-all-end-all of their respective niche. Anyone with thirty grand can have a sweet TJ or FLST using aftermarket bolt-on stuff, but I get a feeling of accomplishment when someone compliments my rig which has relatively no aftermarket support because it reflects the ingenuity and thought that I (and others on this board) put into it. Kinda like making a silk purse from a sow's ear. Plus I really like being different.

That being said, there's a guy down the street from me with a long travel equipped TJ on 35's that I'd love to have. :D

Now granted it's not exactly the Off-Road Queen of Jeeps, but I had a 2002 Liberty for 3 weeks right before I got my Pathfinder. Libby, what I had named it, had only 5,000 miles on it, and was traded in for a Tahoe because the owner needed something larger, due to a new baby. Evidently this thing was pampered and treated very well.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the road manners of it. It had decent accelleration (3.7L V6 engine), and handling wasn't terrible. I also liked the way the back opened up (swing up glass, and swing out rear door). It was bright red, which I wasn't a big fan of, but the price was right, $12,500 for an almost brand new Jeep...

Now, in the 3 weeks that I had Libby, she developed more rattles, squeaks and groans than the previous owners new baby could have made in it's lifetime. I was NOT happy. Then at 6,000 miles, the starter and alternator both went out (covered under warranty, but still). At 6500, the fuel pump and ignition coil went out, and I started shopping again.

The Liberty was the single biggest pile of donkey poo to ever sit in my driveway. And if you scour the w00t thread, you'll see I've owned a LOT of vehicles.

I willl NEVER own another Jeep product, ever. Now, that's not to say that I won't wheel with Jeepers, if they're cool, or pull one out, or be pulled out by one, but they are not for me. I like my vehicles dependable.

Jeeps are kinda like Harleys. Both are pretty cool and fully capable of the function they were built to do,

Yes, but then thats not saying much... You have heard of TT races ? Harleys are masters of the BTB races... Bar To Bar. While they have improved considerably since they hired engineers and built the EVO motor, they are still barely acceptable in the current market, and usually get considerable aftermarket parts immediately. Consider the price also. I bought a top Honda cycle with 5 year extended transferable warranty out the door for 12K. You cant find a Hardly Ableson close to that price alone. My bike beats a Hardly in every category. If you have excess cash you can afford toys. If you are like me, you prefer value. Harleys look nice and are fun to ride aroung town, but the obnoxiously loud pipes and ego attitude of the riders makes me dislike them even more.

As I said before, I have seen some nice Jeeps !! Even a Cherokee that was lifted and had 36" tires. If I was to set up a trail rig, I'd probably start with a Jeep (CJ) due to their size, the mods available, etc. I take that back, it would be a Nissan D720. Again, not being rich, having a dedicated trail rig is not remotely possible. I certainly don't want one as a daily driver... :shrug:

Nice Yota (toy) Red !! It looks like a lot of fun and fully capable. In my book, 20 year old japanese trucks are some of the best made vehicles out there. Geez, I wish I didn't have to sell my 83 nissan !!

B

I totally agree. I bought a CBR900RR for $5k that I polished, painted and designed graphics for. I'd much rather have that than my good friend's '00 Night Train which cost him ~$20k after the bolt-ons. Different strokes, I guess. But when people complimented mine, it meant something because of the effort I put into it, plus it would do second gear wheelies!

That EVO motor is the 60 degree twin, right? It was pretty weak in the AMA Superbike series when they campaigned it. Oh, and the Isle of Man TT is wicked cool! Ever heared of "Mad Sunday" following the race? I think they stopped allowing it because so many people die.

The only nice Jeeps I have ever seen are at the tip

WTF ?? What tip ?? Wait, maybe I don't want to know...

Totally off topic, but tough, we are talking motorcycles here !!

CBR900RR ??? Sweet !!! Thats my crotch rocket of choice ! I'm old and boring and have a CBR1100XX... Set up for touring with throttle lock, taller wind screen, soft bags and rear venture rack. I can ride it all day, Nevada took about 4 hours (and was fun as he!!)... ;) Have you been on the newer 969 ?? I haven't yet, but what do you think ? If you have a bit to say, I'll move it to a new thread. Yes about the EVO. They are pretty wimpy other than torque, but the point with them is that they run for more than 500 miles at a time and dont piss oil all over the driveway. Friend of a friend put 80k on one with no repairs !! Vast inprovement for Hardly !! I know the Isle of Mann TT well. I check it out, and my dealership head mechanic goes every year. I can send you a link to his page about it. Makes me all goose pimply thinking about it !! Mad Sunday I have not heard about, but will look. Feel free to inform me; as I said, I'll move it... ;)

B

I saw a CJ7 roll by the house yesterday... it had been stretched like a old scrambler.... longer WB and it was niiiiiiiiiiiice.. I drooled..and I freely admit it. :eek:

I owned a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee for about 2 yrs that my wife drove. I liked the power of the inline 6 and the suspension on it with the solid axle. I wish my Pathy had those. It did have a transmission sensor go out about 2 months after I bought it. Luckily I had a friend at the dealership I bought it at fix it for no charge. It was a nice vehicle, but didn't feel as much like a truck as the Pathfinder.

I have also ridden in several Wranglers, but the fact they are so small and no storage space turned me off on them quick.

My Grandad has a 2002 Jeep Liberty that has 25,000 miles that he has promised to sell me cheap in about another year. If it is a good deal I will take it as a daily driver then I can really mod the Pathy! :D

I am not so much for the Liberty.. I think they are blatantly ugly.. but to each his own, and with the diesel motor in them now they get some good torque.

I was single for many many moons, so my Wrangler was ideal.. room for me and a passenger... stereo and spare tire... and off the ebaten path I would go!

As I get older (ok.. I JUST turned 36) the less inclined my abck was to take the beating from wheeling the Jeep... another deciding factor of keeping the Pathy and selling the Jeep...