What I've been up to lately...

wheelmanLS1

Just thought I’d let you guys see what I’ve been doing lately. Maybe it’ll give you guys some ideas, or maybe I just want to show off.

I picked up a Chevy SSR cupholder today. It’s a sturdy little thing; my 40 0z. Slushy isn’t going anywhere. Here it is installed on my console:

rupdates1az.jpg

rupdates11rw.jpg

rupdates30wc.jpg

I got Nissan Xterra free-running hubs as well. I’ve had them for a while, just haven’t said anything about them. They are much better designed than the Pathfinder ones, but I never took pictures of the gearing before I put them on. You can see for yourself if you get the Xterra ones, and I think you will agree.

rupdates29hs.jpg

I also get better gas mileage, but I think it’s more because my old ones were gooped up a lot:

rupdates113cb.jpg

And I got hub cover doodads for the rear wheels from an Xterra… note the Nissan emblem in the middle. I have two more like this as well as a full regular set (2 front, 2 back) if anyone wants them. I think they will fit on the polished steel wheels only. Just email me. I’ll charge shipping but that’s all.

rupdates106st.jpg

Extra 12-volt outlet for charging my cell phone:

rupdates44pd.jpg

rupdates56sw.jpg

I replaced the string with cable:

rupdates60df.jpg

rupdates79vh.jpg

Tinted the 3rd brakelight a while ago. I am going to tint the other taillights after I get my car inspected in August. I have friends who have passed inspection fine with tinted taillights, but better safe than sorry. You’ll see a write-up on how to do this when I’m done.

rupdates82hi.jpg

rupdates92om.jpg

Here is my butterfly key. I’ve had this for a few months; it’s in my avatar. Type in ‘butterfly key’ in the Ebay search bar to find them. Then take it to a locksmith and they’ll cut it for you.

426002_144.jpg

426002_145.jpg

Edited by wheelmanLS1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had an afterthought. I would like to see everybody else's little mods so I can get some more ideas. For example, Harbinger, I have noticed the custom map lights in your signature; I'd like to see those. And someone had the Jeep Cherokee center console. And I'd like to see those Acura Integra seats... whose did those belong to? 88, I know you have mods running out your ass.

Man that cupholder is sweet! I'm tired of my morning coffee ending up all over my console and carpet. I never thought of one of those fold up kind.

My wifes Toyota van has those kind attached to each seat. I might have to make one disappear. sssh

The string eventually rots or discolors the cable is difenately a nice touch. I hope it's stainless otherwise she's going to rust. The little pin goes into the lower spare tire hinge to hold the tire carrier open while accessing the rear hatch. Although my hinge has been as stiff as (insert joke here) heck even since new. It's only after a dousing with penetrating oil does it swing by itself. LOL. This should be an interesting thread as time goes on.

I got a dual cupholder, that's adjustable, at Wal-Mart for $8 CDN that helps with that situation. It sits between the shift boot, and the dust collector under the hand brake. (mine's stick). I just screwed it into the floor with a couple of self tapping screws, and the cupholder issue was solved.

:aok:

wow simon, time for a cleaning my friend.

That's a really old picture. It was filthy. That was taken right after a camping trip. My truck was used as the music machine, so the doors were open, hence the ashes all through it. Not to mention the coffee spilled in the dust collector. That wasn't due to the cupholder, but a large bump I hit on the way home, as I was grabbing the coffee out of the holder.... -alcohol-

Arr...

LED dome light conversion

LED's inside headlight housings for a nice blue reflection inside

55W yellow rock lights underneath

PIAA switch recessed inside a stock switch plate so it fits into a stock hole in the dash

Rear battery box and mount

Hand-built panhard rod drop bracket

Tubular rear axle lower control links with angle iron welded on for rock sliding purposes

Dual LED lit switches in the console for roof lights

Hand-built roofrack light bar

Diamond plate rocker panel guards

I could go on, but I don't want to. Too much typing. I'm tired after cutting down some 60 foot trees today and sawing them all up into firewood.

I'm loving all the little touches here and there, particuarly the cupholders and the butterfly key! :beer:

Heres a little synopsis of my map lights, sorry for the bad pictures, but my camera is cheap and it was free :D

The lights themselves are kitchen island lights, found in lowes/home depot stores. When you remove the transformer they will run off of 12v DC. In a truck cab they are comparable to the light of god coming through the sun roof.

Off

toy004-maps-small.JPG

On

toy-map003-small.JPG

They're controled by the fourth switch in from the left.

toy003-dash-small.JPG

I'm quite fond of the toolbox/switch center. It controls all my lights/accesories and has 4 extra 12v outlets on the right hand side of the box.

Edited by Harbinger

Here is my butterfly key. I’ve had this for a few months; it’s in my avatar. Type in ‘butterfly key’ in the Ebay search bar to find them. Then take it to a locksmith and they’ll cut it for you.

Can you put it on a keychain or does it not have a big enough hole?

Can you put it on a keychain or does it not have a big enough hole?

You can. I had it on one but it kept coming undone in my pocket (because the weight of the other keys, I guess). Plus, it's not as cool to flip out when it's on a ring because people know right away it isn't a real knife... which ruins all the fun.

I really only use it when I'm trying to show off to the guys or impress a girl. Let me tell you, it works. Some guys consider paying to take a girl to the movies and to dinner is an investment... it's all lies. A Butterfly key is a real investment.

:I really need that one avatar on 88's forum right now:

Harbinger, those lights are bitchin'. I might look into some of those.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

I'm loving all the little touches here and there, particuarly the cupholders and the butterfly key! :beer:

Heres a little synopsis of my map lights, sorry for the bad pictures, but my camera is cheap and it was free :D

The lights themselves are kitchen island lights, found in lowes/home depot stores. When you remove the transformer they will run off of 12v DC. In a truck cab they are comparable to the light of god coming through the sun roof.

Off

toy004-maps-small.JPG

On

toy-map003-small.JPG

They're controled by the fourth switch in from the left.

toy003-dash-small.JPG

I'm quite fond of the toolbox/switch center. It controls all my lights/accesories and has 4 extra 12v outlets on the right hand side of the box.

See how I say nothing at all if I have nothing nice to say.

I did get a good long laugh though.

IIRC, it was already there when he bought it and had the wiring all run and everything as it was. Am I wrong?

I guess you could cut out the part with the switches and use the rest of the box for matching material, to make your own custom box with welded corners and siliconed edges or something like that.