So you want to lift your 96-up Pathy?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing suspension lift on my 2000 pathy and its gonna be either an AC or OME set-up. Since I live in Canada, I intend to purchase the struts and shocks locally while ordering the coils online. Will anyone be able to confirm with me the item codes? Also, can anyone kindly tell me what I'm missing out since I will get a shop to do the installation.

Nissan Strut Mount

Spacer

Strut bearings?

Camber alignment kit?

AC Coils

Rancho Struts (RSX17504 for the left and RSX17503 for the right)

Rancho 9000XL Shocks (RSX900096PFLIFTRR)

or

OME Coils (OME923 for the heavy-duty front and OME922 for the rear)

OME Struts (OMEN144S for the left and OMEN143S for the right)

OME Shocks (OMEN104)

Thanks a lot... I appreciate your input.

Andrew

PS: Do I have to get the manual hubs right away? Or can i wait for sometime?

If you are getting the AC lift I would definitely get the camber bolts. If you are going OME I don't think you will need them.

Definitely get the OEM strut bearings, and a new strut mount is worth it as well. It looks like you have everything covered really.

As far as the hubs I would personally get them right away, I always got them before I lifted because the improvement in mileage (or kilometerage for you) was something that paid for itself pretty quickly (especially with high gas prices)

:aok:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly still acquiring all my lift parts.....I trying to figure out what stock/old OEM parts I can still use on my 96 when I install my lift....Obviously, everyone agrees to replace the strut bearings with NEW OEM ones, what about things like, the 2 strut insulator brackets (which I'll have to drill out the pressed in bolts to add a 1" spacer) should I go new? and the pieces that go under the strut bearing, the seat and rubber pieces?, what did you guys do?.....Now that I'm getting closer to getting ALL the parts for my lift, I'm getting a little antsy trying to cut corners and not replace EVERYTHING with new parts! Money's a little tight now, until I go back out on the road (touring). But then, most likely won't get it done until late summer early fall, then.

• 1 month later...
I'm slowly still acquiring all my lift parts.....I trying to figure out what stock/old OEM parts I can still use on my 96 when I install my lift....Obviously, everyone agrees to replace the strut bearings with NEW OEM ones, what about things like, the 2 strut insulator brackets (which I'll have to drill out the pressed in bolts to add a 1" spacer) should I go new? and the pieces that go under the strut bearing, the seat and rubber pieces?, what did you guys do?.....Now that I'm getting closer to getting ALL the parts for my lift, I'm getting a little antsy trying to cut corners and not replace EVERYTHING with new parts! Money's a little tight now, until I go back out on the road (touring). But then, most likely won't get it done until late summer early fall, then.

Don't jew yourself out. just replace everything. you'll be glad you were thorough.

I am gonna lift the r50 in august. How is the ride?

Depends on what you end up doing. AC or OME coils will be stiffer than OEM and aftermarket shocks and struts will have improved response over OEM. So you can expect a way more comfortable ride with more of a 'truck feel'. Keep in mind beefier meats will further cushion the ride, too.

The difference between stock and 2" lifted has been nothing but great based on my experiences. :aok:

Depends on what you end up doing. AC or OME coils will be stiffer than OEM and aftermarket shocks and struts will have improved response over OEM. So you can expect a way more comfortable ride with more of a 'truck feel'. Keep in mind beefier meats will further cushion the ride, too.

The difference between stock and 2" lifted has been nothing but great based on my experiences. :aok:

ok good. I dont mind stiff. My x 4runner was mad stiff even with stock suspension and i like the trucky feel, so is their a difference between teh two....AC and OME.

ok good. I dont mind stiff. My x 4runner was mad stiff even with stock suspension and i like the trucky feel, so is their a difference between teh two....AC and OME.

Hell yeah! :D

Overall, the quality and durability of the OME coils are superior and the difference in price is negligible. When it comes to something as crucial as suspension, quality parts go a long way. :aok:

Depending on how you plan to wheel your R50 shouldn't be a factor, either. ;)

So here we are, almost 4 years after I started this thread! I can't believe it has been that long and I still haven't done anything except new tires!

A lot has gone on since then, and money was tight there for quite awhile, but now my Pathy NEEDS new suspension. I wouldn't even call what it has on there suspension anymore, more of just "something to keep the frame off the wheels" :D

So anyway, I am ready to order a lift kit, and I was just looking at the AC kits and they all say "You must purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75" negative backspace when installing this lift."

Whats up with that? My OEM wheels won't cut it?

And I was looking at the OME page as well, and couldn't find any lifts for an R50. Can I use my OEM wheels with OME stuff? I am just as lost as I was 4 years ago! Anyone care to help?

Thanks!

I have the OME lift and it works fine with the stock wheels. You can find it at http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfindersus.html

That's where I ordered mine from. I ordered what they call the HD front coils (which turn out are actually the mediums - OME923 is the part #) and the medium rear coils (OME922), the medium rear shocks (OMEN61) and a pair of "trim packers" (NI7100). I think I may have actually ordered the package that came with the front/rear coils and the rear shocks (OMEPATH96) and added the trim packers to the order. I then ordered up KYBGR2 struts from another website. I am very happy with this lift.

I would say that the ride is most def more truck like, but I like that, and it actually feels like you can control the pathy alot more precisely. As per the wheels I have the AC lift installed, and I am still running stock wheels, but with the same size tires that I have stock. If you get bigger tires yes, you will most likely need new wheels.

So here we are, almost 4 years after I started this thread! I can't believe it has been that long and I still haven't done anything except new tires!

A lot has gone on since then, and money was tight there for quite awhile, but now my Pathy NEEDS new suspension. I wouldn't even call what it has on there suspension anymore, more of just "something to keep the frame off the wheels" :D

So anyway, I am ready to order a lift kit, and I was just looking at the AC kits and they all say "You must purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75" negative backspace when installing this lift."

And I was looking at the OME page as well, and couldn't find any lifts for an R50. Can I use my OEM wheels with OME stuff? I am just as lost as I was 4 years ago! Anyone care to help?

Thanks!

If you have a 2001 like your profile says, you do not need to change your wheels in you do not go more then 265/75r16...I did install wheel spacers (1.25") because I was afraid the tire was eventually hit the strut...but it did fit... my tires measured 31.9" have a look here with the oem wheels : http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?s=&amp...st&p=391543

Thanks!

:aok: on starting the thread. I learned a lot reading it.

Sounds like your R50 is in the same condition mine was when I got it - you could press the strut down by hand and it wouldn't rebound! :ohno01:

My experience was that stock worked post-lift so long as you didn't go much beyond the OE height/width. E.g., I had wheels with 4.25" backspacing, 255 width tires and a total height of approx 30". Stock width on my Pathfinder tires was 255 and stock height was 29" apprx

Once I went to 31" and 32" tires, though, it was a different story. Rubbing everywhere and the tire was practically sitting on top of the strut. Shifting to 3" and 3.125" backspacing - which accomplishes the same thing from a distance to Hub and strut perspective as spacers - solved a lot of problems. Still had problems rubbing the plastic on the bumper and the front fenders. A set of heavy-duty clippers and an angle grinder solved that problem.

Now, about those 34s...

Edited by GoPathyGo

If you have a 2001 like your profile says, you do not need to change your wheels in you do not go more then 265/75r16...I did install wheel spacers (1.25") because I was afraid the tire was eventually hit the strut...but it did fit... my tires measured 31.9" have a look here with the oem wheels : http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?s=&amp...st&p=391543

of course you won't need new wheels if you get wheel spacers.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone im new to this site and i need some advice before i shell out some cash for a lift i have a 02 pathfinder .i am going to get a OME lift 1.75 with the ome shocks they provide and im going to keep my stock struts buy new strut mounts but i was wondering if i really need those manual locking hubs they seem like a pain in the ass to get out of the truck when i need to switch into 4wd i love the shift on the fly. its sounds worth it i deff. dont wanna be replacing my cv's in a year because of a lift if i dont by hubs

With the OME lift you should be fine. Just don't be slamming the gas when your off the main road. The WARN's are mainly for a bit more reliability and ease of mind.

Also, why aren't you getting new struts? Your ride is bound to be a bit more bouncy without some more aggressive struts. Try the KYB struts. I hear nothing but good things, and I just put a set on mine and love them (even though they are used, its still a better ride than before!)

Jose

Hi everyone im new to this site and i need some advice before i shell out some cash for a lift i have a 02 pathfinder .i am going to get a OME lift 1.75 with the ome shocks they provide and im going to keep my stock struts buy new strut mounts but i was wondering if i really need those manual locking hubs they seem like a pain in the ass to get out of the truck when i need to switch into 4wd i love the shift on the fly. its sounds worth it i deff. dont wanna be replacing my cv's in a year because of a lift if i dont by hubs

If you put manual hubs on, and leave them in the locked position, it will operate exactly as your setup now (drive flanges). You can drive around in the poor weather, or when 4x4 will be most likely used, but get out and flip them to free-wheeling when going on the freeway or everyday normal driving. What you spend on the hubs will pay for it's self in fuel savings in no time.

i have stock le rims that the only thing is idk if the hubs will fit thru the center cap holes.

about the front strut im trying to save some money and keep my stock struts i just had them put on. i have 101.000 on the truck

i only 4 wheel between 2-4 times a year i live in ct and there no where to go out here there all tree huggers out here.i want the truck to look more like a truck not a mini van

i have stock le rims that the only thing is idk if the hubs will fit thru the center cap holes.

about the front strut im trying to save some money and keep my stock struts i just had them put on. i have 101.000 on the truck

i only 4 wheel between 2-4 times a year i live in ct and there no where to go out here there all tree huggers out here.i want the truck to look more like a truck not a mini van

You'll need to either get new wheels or bore out your wheels for the hubs to fit. And since you don't go wheeling that often, You can just do what morpheous said and leave them unlocked. And when you think you might need 4x4, lock em up. It'll act just like stock with them locked up!

Jose