New to the forum.

ACEAKAI

MNwGlz4.jpg

This is my 1995 nissan pathfinder SE I’ve had it for about a year now, so far I have reindexed my torsion bars, replaced my timing belt (with basically everything else that comes with it seals, water pump, etc.) I am now installing electric fans and soon a new steering wheel as my OEM one started to fall apart. Is there anything else that would be worth changing/upgrading? I’ve been thinking about doing a slight polish in the TB, and doing new bumpers, and all new window seals. 

• Like 1

When I got my 92, it had 283K miles on it. It leaked from every single seal, including the steering box. If not already done, I would expect to have to replace them all in time. Rear wheel seals, rear main, and front transmission are all that are left to replace.... Simply haven't made the time to do those, and they're leaking all over the garage... Keep an eye on the fluid levels, including the coolant/antifreeze.

What's the reason for shifting to an electric cooling fan? It just adds more components to fail, and if mounted directly to the radiator, it could wind up eating a hole into it, causing more problems.

Edited by gamellott

11 hours ago, gamellott said:

When I got my 92, it had 283K miles on it. It leaked from every single seal, including the steering box. If not already done, I would expect to have to replace them all in time. Rear wheel seals, rear main, and front transmission are all that are left to replace.... Simply haven't made the time to do those, and they're leaking all over the garage... Keep an eye on the fluid levels, including the coolant/antifreeze.

What's the reason for shifting to an electric cooling fan? It just adds more components to fail, and if mounted directly to the radiator, it could wind up eating a hole into it, causing more problems.

I’m switching to e fans because for the conditions I have over here it’s hot with a lot of stopping and going, so the constant consistent airflow will be beneficial, plus it removes weight from the water pump making it last longer.

11 hours ago, ACEAKAI said:

I’m switching to e fans because for the conditions I have over here it’s hot with a lot of stopping and going, so the constant consistent airflow will be beneficial, plus it removes weight from the water pump making it last longer.

If you replace the water pump every time you replace the timing belt, as suggested, you won't have the problem of it wearing out. The sideload on the bearing from the belt is probably more problematic than the fan and clutch. Good money towards bad IMHO.

Stop and go and hot? That's what the fan clutch is for. It's not as though this is an over bored Chevy 454 that actually runs incredibly hot. I'm not aware of any of these VG30's having a problem with overheating unless you have underlying problems already. Been there, done that 🤪

Adding aftermarket fans, switches, sensors just makes things more complicated and will make things less reliable in the end. I have seen more electric fans/switches go bad than I have seen clutches actually go bad.

The factory thermostat on the VG30 is 170°F. Combine with the very efficient fax clutch these dont have issues with overheating. If it does overheat then you have a problem elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I'm a huge Efan fan. I've been running them for almost a year with really great success. I have put out info on how mine have performed so far, but 100% they won't move as much air a mechanical fan will. You either need a lot of fans, or really good ones. I have the 5spd, so the change was very much noticeable to me, especially when i was still on my stock small wheel setup. 

On 2/18/2023 at 6:13 AM, gamellott said:

If you replace the water pump every time you replace the timing belt, as suggested, you won't have the problem of it wearing out. The sideload on the bearing from the belt is probably more problematic than the fan and clutch. Good money towards bad IMHO.

Stop and go and hot? That's what the fan clutch is for. It's not as though this is an over bored Chevy 454 that actually runs incredibly hot. I'm not aware of any of these VG30's having a problem with overheating unless you have underlying problems already. Been there, done that 🤪

Adding aftermarket fans, switches, sensors just makes things more complicated and will make things less reliable in the end. I have seen more electric fans/switches go bad than I have seen clutches actually go bad.

the oem fan was defiantly more then enough to cool the engine, to the point that it wouldn't get to running temp and during summer at low rpm my ac would blow warm unless I was moving the airflow from the oem fan wasn't enough to keep everything cold during summer and was cooling too much during fall and winter. my brother swapped his fans to electric fans about a year ago and hes had pretty good luck so far.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, Slartibartfast said:

The e-fans are popular because they free up a little power at high revs. But, yeah, there's more to go wrong, and you may struggle to move the same CFM as the clutch fan when you really need it. 

i know it wont move as much air because theres really nothing better then the stock system at moving overall air, but with e fans even if im parked they will still be moving the same amount of air as when i was moving, with the efans they move a constant 1730 CFM per fan (not an insane amount but more then enough to keep it cold.) I do understand that it will create more problems (as with most mechanical to electric swaps) but the problems that may arise wont be too hard to fix (hopefully.)

Nice looking truck. Mine is also a black 95 SE. Bought it from a lady who moved to Toronto from North Van in 2007, so it only saw a couple of Ontario winters.

The issue with whole fan thing is that the stock fans work great for everything but these rigs are pushing 28 years old at the youngest, all the foam and crap around the radiator and condenser to keep the airflow going across is long since rotted away. Also if you have the bottom half of your fan shroud missing that doesn't help either, most body lifted ones are missing it. So I guess you can go e-fan if you want or try to rebuild the stock setup.