Most stuck you've been?

Guest El_Madmaster

Guest El_Madmaster

What's the most stuck you guys have gotten while offroading?

Mine happened right after I got new tires, mentioned it in a tire thread I posted a while back. A Ford F-250 and a Pathfinder hooked up together didn't even come close to pulling me out lol. Had to call AAA for that one. The guy actually took the tow truck about 10 feet off the road down a rly small hill, and got stuck trying to get back up it, had to winch himself out heh.

This was a pretty good one, I parked it on a stump after crawling over a rock that tipped over and dropped my frame onto the stump. We had to jack up one tire and stuff rocks underneath until I could reverse off the stump.

115625_144_full.jpg

115625_145_full.jpg

115625_147_full.jpg

Hmm, I don't know 88, looked like plenty of room around there... You sure you weren't trying to put a tire on it for a photo opportunity and overshot ?? :P

Sorry, have never been stuck in a 4x4, but then thats my goal as I am a wuss :o

B

here i was stuck for nine hours. very very long day. my buddy's samuari wasn't heavy or strong enough to pull me out. we found this guy that had a 78 ford f250 with 38's, locked front and rear. started tugging like krazy, my path wouldn't budge. while tugging on me, he snapped his driver side front axle hub. so he got stuck. he had a friend that had a pto wench. him and my buddy went to get this guy, that wench just yanked my right out. very screwed up day.

these pictures here are when i just got stuck. notice the exhuast pipe above the mud

716128_16.jpg

716128_17.jpg

here is about 2 hours after i got stuck. the rear passenger side tire was completely submerged along with the exhuast pipe.

716128_11.jpg

since i don't have 4wd, people helping said that it wouldn't make a differnce if i had 4wd that i'd still get stuck.

Edited by mudfinder

It wasn't technically me that was stuck, i was just a passenger... sorry its not a pathy, but I still think you'd get a kick out of it.

A little roost to get things moving!

truckredux5.jpg

Its deep than it looks... bad angle.

truckredux1.jpg

You can see the water line where the mud stopped... the inside of the cab was half full of water!

truckredux2.jpg

Didn't take a WHOLE lot to pull us out, but i had pics so it was convenient.

When I first got my pathy, I was living in New Mexico. Just outside of Las Cruces, there is a flood control dam (actually it's just dirt and rock but it's to keep the 100-year-flood from sweeping out of the Organ mountains and flushing the city) Anyway, during the rainy season, water pools in some areas behind the dam. This is all BLM land ( bureau of land management) and is open to all who wish to play. I decided that I would go play in some of the mud so I would get a good run and catch the edge of the mudholes and make an absolute mess of the truck. The more fun I had, the more daring I got and decided, just as it was getting dusk, to go for the big one. There was a puddle about 50 ft round and about 6-10 inches deep. I hit it at about 40mph and aboput half way through, discovered what happens under water that has been standing for a few weeks. Under the water was the nastiest mudhole I'd ever encountered. I plowed in and sank to my headlights. With no hope of getting out, I crawled out the window and called a buddy to come out and give me a pull. I even had to tie to the bull-bar since there was no way I was going to be able to dig down to my tow hook. Anyway, after dragging her home and letting it sit in the back yard overnight, I started the long job of cleaning. As I was hosing it off, I kept seeing these little mud-blobs hit the ground then start hopping around. It looked like the biblical plague and all I could do was laugh as my wife watched and just shook her head and rolled her eyes. I test my depth now before I play.

are those ice sheets over the water?

yup! busted soime nice holes in his grill too. He didn't care much though cause he's rebuilding the whole truck right now.

I dunno if you where talking to me 88, but we actually did use sticks to begin with, and we'd been through that spot about 2 or 3 times already.... i guess we just hit some ruts that where really deep, that we musta missed before. Im just glad he never sucked wome water into the engine on that one.

:wacko: My best stuck was when I (with best friend beside me) went wheelin with 7 other friends (3 trucks) and my Jeep was always topless. The boys dared me to get braver with the water/mud hole...and as I grew confident.. I headed for the middle...going too fast..and got cut off.. KERSPLOSH! up over the hood.. a moment of splutter...3 more feet.. and the water coming in under the doors (I had a 6" lift and 33's) she died. us girls were laughing.. the boys thought it all too funny.. and I can ever figure out how to ge tthe video from teh camcorder tape to cd.. I would post it. :blink:

Hmm, I don't know 88, looked like plenty of room around there... You sure you weren't trying to put a tire on it for a photo opportunity and overshot ?? :P

Sorry, have never been stuck in a 4x4, but then thats my goal as I am a wuss :o

B

lol, i agree.. and must second the not stuck part.. not much anyways... ;) learning to drive your rig will do wonders to your abilty to keep'er moving...

748073_32_full.jpg

This is a bit of an understatement but...I slid into some deep ruts. I don't know what I was thinking...I conquered that spot later on another excursion.

BTW that's not my tire on the side!

Edited by Lextronix

This is my first time (and only time) I've been stuck. Ventured to near a boggy lake and was hub-deep in lake mud before I knew it.

stuck1.jpg

That and I had no gear with me. The 2x4 and some pallets were scavenged but to no avail. Waited till the next day and paid a guy from ORI $50 to come pull me out.

stuck2.jpg

Now I'm a lot more paranoid about the gear in my truck.

Thats what I get for not being a boy scout.

Guest 91Pathfinder

I managed to high-center my truck in like 3 feet of snow once. The tires were spinning but we soon found that we could dig all the way out from all four tires and the thing still looked like it was floating.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jonathanb18

mine was something like Harbinger's but the mud was dry clay and it was 3/4's up the wheels and up in the frame :)

Sad to say my worst stuck was in a parking lot in the winter. :wacko:

I was playing around and attacked a plowed pile and got high centered on packed snow(ice). I spent 15min wiggling back and forth about a foot and a half till I finally worked myself off the side of the bank.

Have yet to be stuck to the point I couldn't unstick without help (knock on wood P... ).

• 2 weeks later...

The worst I was stuck was back in Oz in my LWB FJ 45 Landcruiser. Was by myself exploring around some old volcanic hills and rainforest. Snuck down to a small creek for a swim when she slid downhill on the mud. Could not drive back up hill. Spent the night there parked on an angle, not nice to sleep this way. Next day I spent 8hours on the trifor hand winch pulling myself out. When I got that truck out I sat there punching the air and ground in victory. Never felt so much job satifaction before in my life. By the way the truck was full of my gear as I was living in it at the time plus my trailbike.

Al

Guest vERSATILE

I have always said that you are not stuck if you get out by yourself. Once when trying to get to a river we were pushing down small ttees about 11/2 inches in diameter. The bank dropped down about a foot and there we were up high on some 2-3 inch trees and no go. We had to crawl under the front and use our 357 magmums to shoot down a few trees. I don't remember how many shots it took.

When combining in mud i have drug a 3/4" steel cable around plenty and alot of the ruts were waist to chest deep. I try to stay out of the mud nowdays. I am more interested in getting back to point A ranther than having to get from point A to point B.

My worst time was when ... well, here is the deal. A very narrow road, it makes a sharp turn and goes up a hill. No place to accelerate, you just enter the turn, then when you come out of it you step on the go, and you accelerate from almost zero speed. It was winter, a lot of snow... about 1 a.m., very cold and windy winter night ))) I could've avoided that hill, but it was my first winter on a pathy (I owned a 89' 2-door pathy then), so of course I decided to try)))

I went to 4H, flew almost to the top, and there I found that those who tried it before me, polished the top with their tires into ice... so my wheels slipped... a couple of seconds the pathy was fighting, and then it was flying back to the beginning of the hill)) Remember the shapr turn I told you about? Well, in its corner it was a huge pile of snow that was before taken off the road. So in a couple of seconds my pathy is roof-deep in this snow. I got out of the car, took the shovel (I always have a shovel in the car during winter) and started digging. It took me FOUR HOURS before I dug the car out ))) darn, it was so cold... and I even had no gloves, I managed to leave them at home )))

I could've called a friend to help me, but you know this feeling when you are stuck because of your own stupidity, so you want to get out by yourself? I frantically dug and dug and dug... for four hours. In the morning all my muscles were telling me what an idiot I was ))))

Another story..another stupid story))

My friend drives a Toyota LandCruiser Prado. I don't know if you have them in U.S., it is probably a Japan-only car. The image is attached to this post to get a better feel of the story ;)

Winter, no snow, clear roads. Night again. There was some snow during the day, but due to strong wind there was none of it on the road. He was going on a narrow road between the houses, and there was a bit lower thatn bumper-high pile of snow about 15 m in length gathered by the wind. Nothing serious, and it was fresh snow, easy to go through... He goes into 4H, dives into this snow.... and gets stuck.))) LOL! No snow around, clear roads... and he manages to find a place to get stuck. The problem was there was ice under the snow :furious: He spends a couple of hours trying everything... he jacked the car to place some gravel under wheels... it did not help...

There was a tiny slope.... well it was not so steep... just a really tiny bit of it, but combined with snow and ice under it, it was a serious obstacle )))

My friend called me, I went to rescue him on my pathy. As I approached him, the first question I asked was "how did you manage to get stuck on it??? He pointed under the wheel, so I could see the ice. OK, I got back into the car, got closer to tie the rope... than a though struck me! "What if there's ice everywhere under this snow?" I switch to R, try to go backwards... yep, can't move either P... ))) darn, we laughed like crazy))) Two SUV's stuck in the snow without snow anywhere besides this spot. :shrug:

Somehow we took my car off the ice. I don't know how, probably I was lucky to stop before that tiny slope began. Than we took my rope, it was longer than his, tied it.. and I pulled him out. It was about 4 a.m., we did not sleep during that night, as we had some 4 hours before our working day started...

But it was a great andventure. -thnkboutit-

Though it would be even more funny if we wouldn't be able to get out, and somebody'd have to save us)))) People would have the laugh of the century)))

post-6-1117758766.jpg

Edited by Terrano

Thats a neat lookin truck there. Kinda like an oversize hot wheels car. :P

I haven't been stuck yet, but my mom managed to get our F150 stuck on our driveway. It was raining and there was nothing in the bed of the truck and we have helper springs on the back as we occasionally haul stuff with it so you can loose traction on our driveway even when it's dry out. Our driveway is quite steep and does about a 90 degree turn at the steepest part. So she got to the turn and the wheels started spinning. She didn't know what to do and tried flooring it which wound up allowing the truck to slide down the driveway and into the hill behind the turn. So I got my neighbor (this was before I had the pathy) with his early 90's model F150 (his does have four wheel drive) and pulled our truck up the hill. Nothin too serious but it validated my claim that we should have gotten a four wheel drive F150.

Nothin too serious but it validated my claim that we should have gotten a four wheel drive F150.

4WD rulez!

You never know when you'll need it. It's better to have it and drive in 2H, than not have it and in certain situations want to give up anything for several minutes of 4WD))))))