PathyDude's R50 Projects (03 SE 4x4)

Gonna try to pull off the rear spring install tonight, as well as extending bumpstops. Maybe even brake line if I have time. Found some basic instructions for how to get by without a spring compressor as well. Thanks @hawairish

30 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

Yep those instructions are spot on! Same way I do it, no need for a spring compressor at all.

Good to hear, and ive got pretty tall jack stands to boot

53 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Gonna try to pull off the rear spring install tonight, as well as extending bumpstops. Maybe even brake line if I have time. Found some basic instructions for how to get by without a spring compressor as well. Thanks @hawairish

30 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

Yep those instructions are spot on! Same way I do it, no need for a spring compressor at all.

Nice.  Yes, I just used the same approach over the weekend to lift my brother's FJ80 (well, rear springs only so far, work in progress).

KGe4jtg.jpg

heres my extended bump stop, anchored to the lower perch using a 4.5” bolt and a nut on the underside. 4” would’ve been better but oh well. Bumpstops are now about 2” longer

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Well, the bolt for the oem bumpstops snapped. Anything wrong with anchoring the bump stops to the lower perch?

Hoping it'll be ok.  The lower perch metal is thicker than the upper perch metal, and the bumpstop has that steel plate to distribute load across the upper perch, too.  With rust up top on the perch, and reduced contact area, could become a problem eventually.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Hoping it'll be ok.  The lower perch metal is thicker than the upper perch metal, and the bumpstop as that steel plate to distribute load across the upper perch, too.  With rust up top on the perch, and reduced contact area, could become a problem eventually.

Thanks, I’ll monitor that. I don’t plan to bottom this thing out much, but things don’t always go according to plan

I got the coil springs in hours ago, but ran into trouble with the upper fitting of the brake line. Gave it some time to soak in WD40, but long story short, I snapped the tiny rubber/plastic hose. So, I have the aftermarket brake lines screwed in at the axle and the frame mount, but the hose is broken right after the frame mount. I guess I’ll figure out how to fix that tomorrow, as well as bleed the brakes. I was tempted to put several layers of heat shrink over the hose at the break, but I’m not sure that’s a great idea. Too bad too, cause that’s a tight spot to access. At least the brake line is noticeably longer

STJQih4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

I got the coil springs in hours ago, but ran into trouble with the upper fitting of the brake line. Gave it some time to soak in WD40, but long story short, I snapped the tiny rubber/plastic hose. So, I have the aftermarket brake lines screwed in at the axle and the frame mount, but the hose is broken right after the frame mount. I guess I’ll figure out how to fix that tomorrow, as well as bleed the brakes. I was tempted to put several layers of heat shrink over the hose at the break, but I’m not sure that’s a great idea. Too bad too, cause that’s a tight spot to access. At least the brake line is noticeably longer

Not sure I'm familiar with the broken line/hose you're talking about, but if it's got brake fluid in it, heat shrink tube isn't going to help.  Got a pic?

8 hours ago, hawairish said:

Not sure I'm familiar with the broken line/hose you're talking about, but if it's got brake fluid in it, heat shrink tube isn't going to help.  Got a pic?

I’ll take one when I get home from work. I’ll probably just buy generic brake line from Autozone and splice it in

11 hours ago, hawairish said:

6DFI1K4.jpg

the dude at autozone recommended finding a female fitting from a hardware store to screw both of the lines into

QXzVOS8.jpg

Edited by PathyDude17

Here’s how I’m planning on putting the brake line back together. I’m gonna pull an oem connector off of a JY pathfinder, along with the specially threaded nuts that plug into the connector. Then, whit my new overpriced cut and flair kit, I’ll flair both sides of the snapped line and properly screw the line back together using all oem parts

https://imgur.com/a/cD24at

this is the connector and nuts that I plan on pulling

Edited by PathyDude17

Brake line fixed, and brakes bled! WOW those springs are good. Definitely tightened up my rear handling, and they’re not annoyingly stiff. Stiffer for sure though. Rear currently sits at 37”. Front is currently at 35.5”. The rear used to be at 35.5” with 3” of spacers.

xYBfn75.jpg

AC coils showed up late last night! They go on tomorrow morning at my local suspension alignment shop.

l7E1j17.jpg

Special thanks to @02_Pathy and @micahfelker to giving me advice and help along the way!

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Looking killer!!!  Planning on having the front sit the same (but ride better) post-AC coils?

Ya, it’s gonna sit somewhere between 35.5” and 36.5 if I had to guess

• Like 1

Brake line fixed, and brakes bled! WOW those springs are good. Definitely tightened up my rear handling, and they’re not annoyingly stiff. Stiffer for sure though. Rear currently sits at 37”. Front is currently at 35.5”. The rear used to be at 35.5” with 3” of spacers.
xYBfn75.jpg
AC coils showed up late last night! They go on tomorrow morning at my local suspension alignment shop.
l7E1j17.jpg

Special thanks to [mention=39493]02_Pathy[/mention] and [mention=38818]micahfelker[/mention] to giving me advice and help along the way!
Glad to help you out!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

YUA8Aw7.jpg

AC coils are in! Sitting at 36.5” in the front after driving home, so as of right now my rig is completely level. Also, I forgot to mention this, but I complained to AC about their shipping and got refunded $18 lol. Also, old spacer kit is up for sale, 2.5” front 3” rear. Pm for details.

• Like 5

For anyone wondering how the AC coils ride, I’ve got about 70 road miles on them, freeway, backroads, city, etc, and honestly I don’t have any issues with how they ride on road. Tight handling and it takes the bumps solidly. Stiff, of course, but not uncomfortable. I’ll give an update when I have the chance to go off-road as well. Also I haven’t changed my driving at all and no topping out experiences yet.

• Like 1

After being under my pathfinder several times and taking a good look at ones in the JY, I have realized that I don’t have a load sensing Valve connected to my rear axle. How big of an issue is that?

Edited by PathyDude17

3 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

After being under my pathfinder several times and taking a good look at ones in the JY, I have realized that I don’t have a load sensing Valve connected to my rear axle. How big of an issue is that?

No issues! It’s a 98-01 thing only. Yours never had one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bax03SE said:

No issues! It’s a 98-01 thing only. Yours never had one. 

Ok i was wondering if that was the case. I do think my rear diff has the mounting bracket for it though, could be wrong.

Edited by PathyDude17