Oem hitch bolt location

Hi guys, the r50 I recently purchased came without a hitch so i took a trip to the junk yard and picked one up. My question is I have two types of lock washers; one thicker than the other. Does someone know where these specific bolts go? I have four total. Edit: i also just noticed i have two bolts that have thin washers but are shorter. Thanks! Install instructions maybe?1cd7dfeaf291dfb31c1f1fe01acbdf3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies... unfortunately that doesn’t answer where the different bolts are positioned.

You could contact one of the hitch brands and just ask for the instructions, may even get lucky and find them on the net somewhere. Otherwise I would just try the bolts in the holes and see what happens.

Do you have the hitch already? Seems like the easiest thing would be to just get under there with the hitch and see where all the holes line up. If it installs like any of the aftermarket hitches then the factory tow hooks need to come off. Each one is held on by 3 bolts, and there is a 4th unused factory hole there as well, giving you a total of 4 mounting bolts on each side. That should take care of 8 of your bolts and have the hitch mounted to the truck. From there you should be able to figure out where the other bolts go if there are any additional holes on the hitch that line up with mounting points on the truck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies... unfortunately that doesn’t answer where the different bolts are positioned.

I would just use your judgment. I would put the longer ones where most of the weight would be distributed on the hitch while towing.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

I installed the hitch today! What a B that was. I had to clean out the rusted screw holes before I could even get hitch near the car. I was able to figure out where the screws were supposed to be. The only thing that threw me off was the tailend of hitch has a vertical bolt but nothing to thread into. I guess the donor car at JY had some sort of nut inside frame that i missed. I ended up taking a trip to Home Depot for a couple of nuts but it was very difficult to tighten the bolt 100%. I’ll see if I can take a trip there tomorrow to see the car and I’ll upload a photo of the finished product too.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I gave the hitch a few coats of standard gloss paint. I even kept the original Nissan label on there. I am content with how it looks!

18082b10723c60fdbd74493b12e7aabb.jpg469812dc4efaa3ebc1897adaae9cd695.jpgd4799b8b0c47711aa7ba536cebfe3039.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the "mystery" bolt hole, if you used 8 bolts, it ain't going anywhere.

One thing I did learn was that if you wish to remove the rear bumper, you'll have to remove the hitch first-learned this the hard way on a buddy's '99. Hope you used some Neversqueeze-his was from Quebec and Rust was its middle name.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the "mystery" bolt hole, if you used 8 bolts, it ain't going anywhere.

One thing I did learn was that if you wish to remove the rear bumper, you'll have to remove the hitch first-learned this the hard way on a buddy's '99. Hope you used some Neversqueeze-his was from Quebec and Rust was its middle name.

Oh yes I definitely used anti-seize. I have another car that I purchased in Arizona that was originally from the salt belt and almost every bolt on that car was rusted on the underside. Luckily the unibody is intact. So now all mods get a dab of anti seize on the bolts.

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my truck in '02 I purchased the OEM hitch at a discount elsewhere & mounted it myself. Just took it off for a bit in October and I was amazed to find no real rust anywhere (and it's been in the Pac NW for 12 years. I really like & trust the OEM design but I will mention that you can't mount a Wilco hitch gate in there due to the back plating. GSpeed151 managed to do it but his solution was imperfect. I'm planning on retrofitting a OEM swingate so it shouldn't matter. Yours looks good!