Are the tires bad?

fearkobe

My 31s are cracked worse than that between the tread blocks. The guy at the tire place said it was unusual to see that much cracking on a tire that wasn't terribly old (same year as yours IIRC) but that so long as you can't look into the cracks and see the metal belts, and the cracks aren't on the sidewall, they're alright to drive on.

Thanks for the reply guys think we should just have them changed anyways for safety reasons. If it was mine I would leave it but this is my sisters car and with a kid I think it's better to have them replace it. I think we will go for a 245 70 16 and maybe get the spare replaced too looks too big and its a bigger size tire looks like someone replaced it with a Firestone tire with cracks. Anyway was gonna ask you guys opinion on brakes I was gonna get them off of rock auto they are Wagner brakes there the thermo quiet ceramics or what do you recommend?

Wear is the primary reason to replace tires. Anything below 4/32 is getting ready to replace. 2/32 is unsafe. Secondary reason is age/dry rot. There is no legal cutoff to how old a tire can be, but 6 years is usually when a tire starts to fail. Safety counsel advises not to go over 10 years on tires. There should be DOT numbers stamped on the side wall. The 4 digits tell you when the tire was made... if it ends in 1212 the tire was made the 12th week of 2012, 5001 50th week of 2001. Etc...

• Like 1