Dashboard bulb size... 194 and what else?

Slartibartfast

Hi guys,

I'm planning to replace the bulbs in my cluster before sticking it back in. It's a '93 square dash and it's got two sizes of bulb in it. The bulb lookups I've found suggest a #194, which looks like it's correct for the larger bulbs, but I can't find anything regarding the smaller bulbs (most of the idiot lights and the clock). I've checked the owner's manual, the FSM, even eBay listings for LED conversion kits, and I've found nothing helpful. Anyone know what these little buggers are called?

If all else fails I'll bring them to a local parts place and try to find a match, but the last time I did that they sort of looked at it funny and brought out what looked like a Christmas tree light.

I think they are a 17. I've replaced the ones behind the vent controls and they looked the same as the small dash ones. There were two of the same size but one was higher wattage. I got the higher one and they are nice and bright

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Edited by adamzan

Well, I took one of the cluster bulbs and the smaller bulb from the cigarette lighter (same as the bulbs for the idiot lights in the cluster surround) to a couple of local parts places. The first one looked at the larger of the two and said, oh, that's a 74, the little one's probably a 17 but we're out. The second place looked at the smaller bulb and insisted it too was a 74, and I'm pretty sure the bulbs they sold me were a different size from the 74s I'd bought at the other place. :scratchhead: It gets more confusing from there but long story short the bulbs marked 74 do not fit tightly into the dash and do not fit the idiot lights in the surround piece at all.

I did manage to find enough bulbs between what I had and what I'd bought to get the dash lighting up properly again.

What I recommend for anyone else looking for bulbs, and what I should've done, is to take the little twist connectors in with you and test fit before you buy. There are way too many bulb types to hold two up and go, yeah, that looks close enough.

I have the square dash too. In Australia the bigger globes for the dash are called T10, you'll need about 6 (four for the dials, two for the indicators) and the tiny little skinny bulbs are T5. They are the ones for your warning lights (high beam, clock, A/T temp warning etc) The globe behind the aircon display is a single T10, unless you've got the aircon with all the buttons and can be set on auto, in which case you'll need a whole bunch of globes for each individual button. I went all leds for my dash and it's heaps brighter.

Just out of curiosity, did you try calling a local dealer? I have replaced one of them, and I "think" it came from Napa, but that was right after I bought the truck and do not remember what it was or how much it cost. But my yota has an odd sized smaller bulb too, I think it's in the enviro controls, twenty years ago I bought the replacement from the dealer for about the same price as a comparably sized bulb from the parts store.

Just a thought, you will get the right one and might even get it for about the same price as aftermarket, but without the run-a-round. :shrug:

Thanks for the info! I considered LEDs but most of what I saw were a little more disco-looking than I was after (and more than I wanted to pay for stuff I wasn't sure would fit).

The nearest Nissan dealer is 2-3 hours drive from where I live. I did look on factorynissanparts to see if I could find bulbs listed, but no luck. Does sound like a good option if there was one nearby!

I did put the 194s in and they look about the same to me, except that they all work now. :lol:

The nearest Nissan dealer is 2-3 hours drive from where I live. I did look on factorynissanparts to see if I could find bulbs listed, but no luck. Does sound like a good option if there was one nearby!

Alkorahil is just a PM away ;)

• Like 1

Two of the bulbs just died today I guess. Now theres no light on the fuel gauge and on the speedometer. Its a 2001 SE. How to replace? Any suggestions or links plz...??

Regards,

DJ

Well on the square dash ones, it's lower the steering column,

Remove the screws holding the steering column cover on

Remove the five screws of the speedo display trim, pry top trim down, grab both sides and pop the trim out.

Remove the four screws holding the actual speedo display

Carefully pull speedo display forwards then flip it over to access the bulbs at the back. There's a video on youtube I made a few years back, it wasn't a successful illumination job but at least it shows what is involved. I put different leds in at a later time and had to remove these blue bulb filters that were inside the speedo. I didn't exactly know how to get to them but I just pushed them in with a screwdriver through where the leds go in, then had to carefully angle the speedo and shake the little blue filter bulbs out.

Here's my video, yep that's me doing the job. Also there's a link in the description for what leds work best plus I included some other instructions in more detail. Basically all you need is a screwdriver and maybe even a plastic scraper for prying up panels, although I just used my fingers.

Edited by Terranovation
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm planning to replace the bulbs in my cluster before sticking it back in. It's a '93 square dash and it's got two sizes of bulb in it. The bulb lookups I've found suggest a #194, which looks like it's correct for the larger bulbs, but I can't find anything regarding the smaller bulbs (most of the idiot lights and the clock). I've checked the owner's manual, the FSM, even eBay listings for LED conversion kits, and I've found nothing helpful. Anyone know what these little buggers are called?

If all else fails I'll bring them to a local parts place and try to find a match, but the last time I did that they sort of looked at it funny and brought out what looked like a Christmas tree light.

The small ones with the brown sockets are Nissan P/N 24860-40F01.

They are 14 Volt , 1.4 watt

Pulled out my spare/yet to be installed replacement, cluster and looked at the bulbs, markings on small bulbs from all three socket colors .

They are all Toshiba bulbs and are in Toshiba V-2 sockets

Brown Socket: Toshiba A14V1.4WL

Blue Socket: Toshiba A14V2WL

Black Socket: Toshiba A14V3WL

So my assumption is that the are Automotive 14 Volt in 1.4, 2 and 3 Watt variety Lamps.

Searching Ebay for either the numbers listed above or "Toshiba Socket" will bring up results.

Looks like RoackAuto "may" have the black socket 3watt bulb or combo :shrug: