welding question.

bushnut

Definitely unplug the ECU, the risk of getting a short somehow somewhere faAArrrr outweighs the trouble of unplugging the ECU. I have one friend that claimed that he'd welded his Golf before without doing it but he was playing with fire and he knew it. I personally have done it but I forgot to unplug the ECU and the level of power I was using was the lowest setting, maybe that saved me, maybe it was the polarity of machine.

• Like 1

IIRC I unhooked the negative battery terminal before my uncle welded on my rig, and had no issues.

Oddly, my friend did the same on his van when I welded on it, and it ran like crap afterwards for maybe a minute, then cleared out and ran perfectly normal afterwards. :scratchhead:

I've heard it's the pulse action of a TIG setup that kills ECUs, but I don't have any data to back tha tup.

Just disconnect the negative battery cable, turn your lights and ignition switch to the run position for a minute. That will take care of any residual charge that might remain in the electrical system. Turn it all back to the off position then your free to weld. Just be sure that your ground clamp is close to the area your welding and clean, bare steel. You won't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My welder access is a MIG, can't say I've ever unhooked anything that wasn't directly in the way of where I was working. Only issues I know of were catching myself on fire on a couple occasions from spark throwback :shrug:

• Like 2

well the project when Ok. Though it is fugly. I had to reinforce the strut tower on the drivers side under the air cleaner. that seam was mostly cancer. I welded in a couple of pieces of 3mm steel. I won't post pics because of how messy they are. (it was my first time MIG welding) I'm happy with the penetration I got. this will just delay the end. It should get me 3-5 years.

My welder access is a MIG, can't say I've ever unhooked anything that wasn't directly in the way of where I was working. Only issues I know of were catching myself on fire on a couple occasions from spark throwback :shrug:

LOL been there way too many times

Yea...it takes seat time just like lacing a wheel. The more you do it the better you get if you work at it. Keep an eye on the weld pattern and listen to the sound of the welding while your at it. It should sound like bacon frying on the stove and your bead shouldn't have any sharp edges... a clean surface is of primary importance! After that just lay a bead wherever you see a gap! Except maybe at the door line..... maybe.