CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Wow! Can't touch them for that around here, but not sure about the US/Canadian rate. Kind of ironic, I almost scored a set of 5 gently used 31" duratracs recently, listed locally on craigslist for $700. Texted the guy less than an hour after he listed them, someone was already on their way to pick them up.

With a little bit of persistence and some help of the good old blow torch I was able to get my drain and filler plugs out at last and finally changed that diff fluid. Now I feel better :)

Had ordered now plugs from Nissan. Cost $19 for both. Not too bad I suppose.

The next fluids on my list are power steering, and coolant flush.

Got new tire rods, inner and outers, new higher flowing air intake filter, new cabin air filters , new fuel filter. Hopefully will tackle some of these this weekend.

Put new intake filter in and noticed that the old paper one was wet and the air box was wet inside. This is obviously due to my largely destroyed lower intake box and the tires throwing powder snow like mad. Wondering if duct tape can fix this LOL. Are there any air box mods that delete the lower box? Can it be done? Should it be done?

Oddly enough my base model didn't come with cabin air filters as seen here:

3e5f04ee754038e13e1514153ebfeaf1.jpg

So I grabbed my Dremel, took a risk and cut out the obvious slots where the filters are supposed to be. The guide rails are in there. All worked out. Not I got cabin air filters. Take that Nissan!!

69148baf287b4a38563ee12874c02203.jpg

99fe51f189f644f3ec1877c9be1e3056.jpg

• Like 1

Those damned tie rods are a pain in the butt. This is what happens when things don't comply lol

832ea49d3344a1322250a13df7323e3c.jpg

That sucker was gonna come out dead or alive. It chose to come out dead lol.

Thanks. Still planning on a front and rear bumper. I'd like to integrate my spare tire carrier into the bumper as opposed to the hitch. While I like the convenience of removing it easily I don't like how far it sits away from the car. Feels like it creates a lot of stress on the metal especially on rough terrain.

Exhaust is also due. Looking at better flow once I tackle that. I'd really like to get more power but anything short from SS 3.3 swap seems pointless. I'll need an intake just to mitigate the moisture getting into the filter from my busted lower intake box.

There was a bumper design that someone came up with a few years ago that mounted to the factory tow hitch mounts, and it was beefer than all get out. You could probably pick the car up from the bumper with a crane would be okay. I'll see if I can find that old link.

Exhaust is a great option for some throaty power, but I've hear a cam swap is a great option for a little bit more power and get some mileage on top of that. There just isn't a whole lot of info on it unfortunately.

Looks good with some mud on it.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Found the replacement cams. Claims to add some guaranteed power. Anybody know how difficult of a DIY this would be? I've had the cams exposed in my other vehicles but the valve covers are much more accessible in those.

I also found out from the PO did replace the spark plugs at 75000km, which would explain why they still look pretty good.

A few years ago, a forum member from Australia had his cams reground and saw some performance gains, but I don't recall the details anymore. I do know that you need to either buy all new lifters or resurface your existing ones when you replace the camshafts. It's not a very simple process, but if you are comfortable changing your own timing belt and/or removing the upper intake manifold and valve covers, it's possible as a DIY.

To be honest, I've wanted to swap the cams in my R50 but it's just seemed a little overwhelming for me to tackle.

Here are VG33E cams that I have seen recommended:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=26

http://schneidercams.com/256H_VG30.aspx

• Like 1

Hey CDN, can you recap your current lift and tire setup? OMEs and 285/75-16? Spacers?

Were you loaded in your Day 2 pic above, or is that just the angle? Day 1 pic seems likethe rear is up a lot more.

Thinking about 33s after upping the SFD to 3".

Hawairish:

Yes in the second pic my trunk was fully loaded.

My current setup consists of 2" spacers front and back. kYB struts in front Bilstein shocks in rear. OME medium lift spirings in the rear.

Initially this was supposed to be the final setup but the front springs are very sagged. I find the spacers seem to compress them even more so I bought OME springs for the front as well.

My tires are 33x12.5R15

Thanks. Are your strut spacers a true 2"? You seem to have a ton more rake for a similar setup as me.

It also looks like the top of your tire is a good amount above the first wrap on your front springs. I'd expect it to be lower, since on mine, I'm still a little below the perch (the edge closest to the tire). My Duratracs spec 30.7" to your 32.8", so you should only be about an inch higher. I wonder if the OME's have a higher perch than the KYBs?

Here's how I'm sitting. You can see the tabs on the perch above the tire.

IMG_3363.jpg

Yes the spacers are a true 2" as each spacer is 1" and I have 2 of them. Fleury says though that the front only lifts 1.75 from it I believe. My front is really sagged which is why I just ordered the OME springs for the front too. They aren't in yet, just to be clear. Hence the rake. My rear as a true 2" spacer lift PLUS 1.75 lift from the OME coils.

It's possible that the perches are designed slightly different. Not sure. But yours looks pretty level to me. I prefer a bit of take under no load as it will even out when fully loaded or towing. I just hope that with the HD front springs I won't get the opposite effect. Might have to take out one of the two spacers up front.

FYI in the last 2 pics, the front is still jacked up, that's not how it sits. That's how I'm hoping it will sit after the springs.

Talking of which, what is there in terms of travel limiters to prevent CV joints from locking?