Sport /comfort button

Banjoman30

what your have my friend are electro magnetic adjustable shock absorbers.

small metal particles in the shock fluid when under an electric/magnetic field "thicken" the fluid thereby making the shock "stiffer" giving you a more sporty ride. no electric charge in comfort mode thereby giving you a softer ride.

In theory.

did it work when new? I don't know. maybe someone who had one way back then could tell us.

I can't feel the difference when I'm driving, but I tried rocking my truck from the outside in the two different modes and it was actually a little stiffer in "sport." They probably worked better 170k miles ago.

When I get around to replacing mine I'll probably tear one apart to experiment with whatever goo is inside. I always figured they were valved or something but the ferrofluid makes more sense. I wonder what wears out... :scratchhead:

I can remember back in 1998 my buddy had a two door Terrano with the spory/touring switch, you could actually feel the shockies 'rise' slightly when you went into touring mode. The shockies went down a bit for sport mode, thereby lower ride height for more speed I guess.

They worked decent when new, but that was a long time ago. Many either don't work by now, or are so worn out that it really doesn't make a difference.

I'd check that all the connections are tight, at the switch and the shocks first if you want to get it working.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

The light in my switch died, but I can feel the difference between the two.

Better names for the modes would have been "couch" and "washboard"

Edited by silverton