Need Ideas to deal with petty thieves

Precise1

Second time in 6 months someone has rummaged through our Pathfinder parked on the street in front of our house. Honestly, my fault as I left the windows down, but that still doesn't give permission for theft in my book. They only made off with a reversible screwdriver and flashlight, but I don't like it regardless.

I live in a quiet neighborhood on a cul-de-sac with 9 houses on it. I suspect this is the stoner high school kids that slink in on the way to school to toke up, or the questionable kid at the end of the block; nothing else makes sense as there is no through traffic.

I'd set a trap to catch someone in the act, but the good old days of being able to rush out and grab someone and hold them for the cops is gone; I'd be charged with assault, false imprisonment, etc. So, what are my options? Can anyone think of a devious, nefarious set up that would not be ultimately harmful, or at least not directly tracable back to me? Something that would easily ID the perp? Humiliate or shame them?

The vehicle is parked on the street, 40 feet from the front of the house, 1/2 obscured by a bush with the front 1/2 (front doors included) visible and I have 3 windows I have line of sight from. I'm willing to do surveillance, invest in cameras, remote control goodies, etc. I really hate thieves and would like to set a precedent that might act as a deterrent as well.

What are your ideas to teach junior felons that this is not acceptable behavior?

(Again, no ultimately harmful suggestions or I'd have it covered already)

B

Set up a camera that can capture the face of the punk clearly. I would probably try to conceal a dash cam type recorder that can be set to motion activation. Next, rig one air horn (disposable type) in the glove box and one in the center console so that they will scare the @!*% out of said punk when opened. Finally, post up the video on youtube for all to see.

Sadly , about all you can do is set up a camera and lock your truck up religiously .

These days it seemingly doesn't matter if you live in a good neighborhood .

Example #1...

A good friend lives in a rural area here in CT , quickly being surrounded by suburbia but still a town with a large farming area .

Little crime , quiet , good neighbors .

Last summer there was an "in progress burglary" reported about a 1/2 mile up the road from him , in the middle of the night .

The perp made it into a connecting swamp and emerged on my friends property , finding his nicely kept Tahoe unlocked and keys in it .

They found it a week later in a "crack haven" area of New Haven , beat into oblivion .

No theft insurance so he took the whack , live and learn was the sad lesson .

Example #2....

Another friend lives on a cul-de-sac in an upscale suburb , everyone knows everyone .

Last summer things started to disappear in the night .

Two houses up from my friend is a guy who works 3rd shift , one night he was off work and farting around in his garage with the light on and door open .

About 1:30 a.m. he heard a car pull up and thought it was his 19 year old son being dropped off .

A minute later three men who clearly "didn't belong" walked into his garage like they owned it .

The homeowner surprised them when he grabbed his 870 , racked it , and asked "can I help you boys ?" .

He was lucky , he had his gun within reach , what might have happened had he not ?

The trespassers were lucky also , they were confronted by a guy who had a cool enough head not to fire on them before they did the 100 yard dash for their waiting driver .

I lock my truck every time I get out of it , it's sad but true that no matter where you "think" you are , there is someone who would gladly take whatever is yours without blinking an eye .

Set up a camera on your garage, or wherever it's parked, with a DVR. You can buy a set of 4 at Costco pretty cheaply. My parents have one and works great- night vision, color, sound, HD, and I believe it records a month before it deletes it.

Edited by Karmann

Is this the wd21? A trick I did once (as a malicious thing towards a 'friend', he deserved it) was rig a 6v horn into the interior light so when he opened his door the light kicked, he ran like he was stealing his own car, and wasn't allowed in his house for a week (his mom was steamed. Yes to this day he still lives with his mom) If your on surveillance, I believe you once suggested to me as an intimidation factor to rack the slide on a pump action :shrug:

But it is a thief so I hold no judgement towards any amount of cruel and unusal punishment

Koveman: Yep, I'm looking into some sort of wireless camera, but I really like the Youtube suggestion!

Beatup96: Yeah, it seems like 'good neighborhood' just means 'not constant, serious crime' these days. I often leave the cars open during the day as it can get hot here and 120 degree leather isn't funny, but sometimes I forget to go out and close them. Again, that is my fault, but I never leave keys in them!

Karmann: I've been looking at those, but the wife is hesitant. Her point is not to make it look like we have things to steal and make it look like Fort Knox. We'll be talking about it again...

Nunya: No, the R50. I like the horn part, that would be easy enough to do. Unfortunately, the shotgun is not an option. If I go running out with it, I'm sure there will be some hell to pay (by me). If I had my way, I'd just set up a trap/blind and wait. When the person opened the car door, I'd shoot them in the ass with my .20 cal air rifle and call it good.

I know I can avoid this (mostly) by closing/locking the vehicles, and once I get some dirt moved I have 3 car parking in the driveway which makes it much less likely as well.

Still, there are obviously some opportunists out there that need a lesson and they have pissed off the wrong person. I will go well out of my way to get back at them. Does anyone know if a flash/bang grenade will damage a car's interior?

Keep the ideas coming please, it has been helpful so far. :aok:

B

The grenade may severely damage the R50 like....light it on fire....but that will depend on the specific type of grenade. Perhaps a big-ass firecracker with a really short fuse. Piezoelectric firing mechanism, wired to a motion sensor with a delay circuit inside the car. Mechanical switch hidden to turn it off when you get in.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

They make alarms with proximity sensors. Stick your hand in the window and it goes off. Could rig up a ton of sirens to it. Should make the kid jump out of his skin.

Yes, but an alarm like that isn't worth installing just for this crap or that car. :shrug:

Gotta love it.....

Set 'em up and take 'em down !

No innocents will be harmed in the retaliation. Innocents don't break/enter/steal.

Funny enough, many thieves return to previous crime sights to try again. My odds are good and no one ever said they are smart... :shrug:

Flash/bang grenade: not if it's in a 5 gallon water jug...

Damn Dude! I was joking (no source for grenades) and it is inside of a car I'd like to keep!

(the wife's...) :hide:

B

:iws: This.

Two-way alarm with optional Proximity, Glass Break and Tilt sensors along with the auto-arm enabled.

I do plan to put something like this with an immobilizer in the WD21 though. Not worth that much, but too much work done and too many parts worth stealing to risk it.

B

Yes, but an alarm like that isn't worth installing just for this crap or that car. :shrug:

B

I do plan to put something like this with an immobilizer in the WD21 though. Not worth that much, but too much work done and too many parts worth stealing to risk it.

B

Meh maybe.

But not really that hard if proper prep/homework is done first. :aok:

Good point, I'm not up on my auto security...

The WD21 will be getting something set up regardless. It has more worth bolted to it than the R50 cost. :lol:

Any more thief catching/punishing/marking ideas out there?

B

These have been used by some on other forums.

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/

Youtube video's on the above.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackvue

Cameras can be hidden pretty well... You can also wire up an electric shocker to the door handle, figure a way to work with the alarm/door locks.

how bout just spending the night dressed in zombie make up hiding in the back seat under a blanket? Yes it would be a long night, but you'd be able to see them @!*% themselves first hand. If you can bite them!

The lizards only work when you climb in bed with them... :angry:

These have been used by some on other forums.
http://www.blackvue.com.sg/

Youtube video's on the above.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blackvue

Those look pretty interesting! I'm checking them out, thanks for the link!

how bout just spending the night dressed in zombie make up hiding in the back seat under a blanket? Yes it would be a long night, but you'd be able to see them @!*% themselves first hand. If you can bite them!

Too much work for not enough results. Besides I'm a bit big to hide under a blanket, I'm sure they'd notice.

• Bait the car (oregano, linkin park CD, frilly underwear? maybe all three)
  • Film them in the act. Now you know who for sure.

You'll probably know who they are. Now you've got alot more options, be it state funded or private tuition. :sly:

Hah! This make me larf!

leave a box in the back seat with an eastern diamondback in it. Rummage through THIS dickwad!

If only I could!

It really seems as though the camera is the only real option. I have time to set it up though as it isn't like I leave it open all the time and the thief needs to think there is more to steal (that I've replaced things).

I still get pissed just typing that... P...

B