Who will copy a chipped key to a non-chipped key?

Towncivilian

I got some OEM unchipped blank key from Amazon. I intend to get it cut so I can open the doors should I lock myself out somehow. Problem is Lowes, etc seem to refuse to copy a chipped key onto an unchipped key due to idiots trying to use it as an ignition key and some crap about "using an unchipped key to unlock the doors can confuse the system" (bull@!*%). Would Ace Hardware do what I want? If not, who would?

Edited by Towncivilian

Home depot, locksmith, any small hardware stores (such as ace) that cut keys. Lowes has always been pain for me when it comes to keys (they manage to mess them up with the automated machine more than anyone else) Approach them staing that you know it's not a chipped key. If you bring them the key, they are notliable for the key when it does not work (short of a bad cut, maybe)

• Like 1

I would go to a locksmith. Out the 10 or so times I've had keys cut, whenever I've gone to Lowes or Home Depot, the key isn't cut very well.

Most keys didn't even work and I had to go to the locksmith in the end. I had the same issue with the keys to my pathfinder back in 2000(ish).

Ended up having the locksmith do the keys off the code in the door, now those were nice.

I would go to a locksmith. Out the 10 or so times I've had keys cut, whenever I've gone to Lowes or Home Depot, the key isn't cut very well.

Most keys didn't even work and I had to go to the locksmith in the end. I had the same issue with the keys to my pathfinder back in 2000(ish).

Ended up having the locksmith do the keys off the code in the door, now those were nice.

add wallyworld to the list of not cut well

Here at the Chevy dealership I work at we will cut you a key as long as you bring in one for us to trace. What you do with the key is your own prerogative...

Same here. We always give the speech not to put it ever in the ignition, but we will do it for you.

What happens if you put it in the ignition?

-Kyle

The key is not programmed to that specific vehicle, so the vehicle thinks it is the wrong key/you are trying to steal it.

After the third attempt to start it with the wrong key, the vehicle will go into security lock out mode.

You will then have to tow it to your local dealer to get the vehicle security system unlocked and pay about $150 plus the tow bill to get it there.

• 3 weeks later...

Then what is the vallet key? Its not chipped but will start truck, at least the one with our Nissan Titan does.won't open any storage space though. What years are the pathfinders chipped. I don't think my 95 pathfinder is. Just a plain key and only have the one.

I know when I got my STI key cut for my truck I went to home depot. Dude looked at me funny handing a blank subaru key and a Nissan key but I cut him off at the line and told him I knew they weren't liable and I assume any risks (so just cut it!). He shrugged, stuck em in the machine, said enjoy and I got the fastest wd21 key around!

Then what is the vallet key? Its not chipped but will start truck, at least the one with our Nissan Titan does.won't open any storage space though. What years are the pathfinders chipped. I don't think my 95 pathfinder is. Just a plain key and only have the one.

Don't know for sure about Nissan but I would say that any vehicle that uses chipped keys and has a valet key, has a chipped valet key as well. The whole point of the chip is to prevent the vehicle from being started and driven without an authorized and verified key.

I don't have the Valet key that came new with my Lincoln, but I know that it was also chipped.

Think of your normal key as a master key that will work on everything, while the valet key will only do the drivers door and ignition. For theft prevention of personal items, valet keys typically will not operate the glove box, trunk or (in equipped vehicles) in cabin trunk release.

Don't know for sure about Nissan but I would say that any vehicle that uses chipped keys and has a valet key, has a chipped valet key as well. The whole point of the chip is to prevent the vehicle from being started and driven without an authorized and verified key.

I don't have the Valet key that came new with my Lincoln, but I know that it was also chipped.

Think of your normal key as a master key that will work on everything, while the valet key will only do the drivers door and ignition. For theft prevention of personal items, valet keys typically will not operate the glove box, trunk or (in equipped vehicles) in cabin trunk release.

that is correct!!

I know when I got my STI key cut for my truck I went to home depot. Dude looked at me funny handing a blank subaru key and a Nissan key but I cut him off at the line and told him I knew they weren't liable and I assume any risks (so just cut it!). He shrugged, stuck em in the machine, said enjoy and I got the fastest wd21 key around!

Tell me more about your STi. :lmao: