Jacks are for lifting, not supporting a vehicle! This is why they are so important.

RedPath88

Auburn (WA) man killed when truck falls on him

Published 12:31 pm, Sunday, June 16, 2013 By KOMO/TV

Auburn man killed when truck falls on him

628x471.jpg

A 72-year-old Auburn man was killed when the truck he was working on fell on him Saturday evening (6-15-13) in Auburn.

AUBURN -- A 72-year-old Auburn man was killed when the truck he was working on fell on him Saturday evening.

The man was removing the transmission of the pickup truck when the jacks collapsed on him, Auburn Police Mike Hirman said.

His family found him dead under the truck later. He had recently purchased the older Nissan truck.

They are not sure when the incident happened in 10704 S.E. 304th St., police said.

The man was living with his daughter and son-in-law at the home.

The King County Medical Examiner was called to the scene to investigate.

No word yet on the man's identity.

Damn... what a thing to come home to.

Looks like he was using jackstands, I can see one lying on its side next to the truck. Doesn't look like the rear tires were chocked, which probably allowed it to roll forwards once the trans was unhooked. My dad told me to put the wheels under the truck if you take them off to work on it, to give it something to land on other than you if all else fails.

This is also a good argument for working on a concrete pad... tougher for the jackstands to tip over if they're on solid concrete vs flexible plywood on an uneven lawn.

• Like 3

This is also a good argument for working on a concrete pad... tougher for the jackstands to tip over if they're on solid concrete vs flexible plywood on an uneven lawn.

Exactly why I do not work on a vehicle if it has to be lifted. I don't have a concrete pad to work on. One of my buddies has an asphalt driveway and places wood blocks under his jack and stands to distribute the weight. He says that is to protect both him and his driveway.

• Like 1

After lowering the truck onto the jack stands, as an extra safety precaution I always leave the jack in place.

My driveway is at an angle so anytime I have to jack up one of my vehicles higher than normal I will park the vehicle across the driveway, one side in the road so it is sitting level, I just feel more comfortable that way rather than being under the vehicle when it is jacked up and on an angle.

Working on the exhaust or removing the shifter in my sentra the car has to be pretty high where I can get under it, I also always give it a push to make sure the car is on the jack stands where it isn't going to slip off.

Placing the wheel/tire under the truck is also a good idea as was mentioned, if the truck does fall at least it will land on the tire first.

And always chock the tires that are staying on the ground, us whatever you have if you don't own chocks, I use paving bricks, a flat shovel works real good too.

Yeah, I avoid the whole angle thing as well. Pretty much always work in the garage where it is level. Also, always shake test the jack stands once the vehicle is resting on them. Rather knock it off when I'm expecting it rather than have it happen on its own unexpectedly.

Damn, what a stupid, avoidable way to die! I just hope it was quick and he didn't have a while to think about it...

Jacks and jack stands are not to be trusted on uneven and/or soft surfaces.

If I have serious work to do, it is in a level garage with a concrete slab. I'm lucky enough to own one now, but in the past I have either used a friends garage or taken the vehicle to a shop since I didn't have a good place to work on it. I learned a long time ago with a 1977 Plymouth Fury. I was just changing a flat tire parked on the street (at a slight angle) and all I had was the stock (stupidly dangerous) bumper jack. I had the rear end up and the tire off when the car leaned over a foot or so until the rear passenger tire was wedged against the curb. The jack was at a 30 degree angle and bound tight so I couldn't raise or lower the vehicle. Luckily it was still high enough to put the spare tire on, and after I did that I used a sledge hammer on the base of the jack until it popped loose and the driver rear tire fell back on the ground. The jack was mangled and I went out the next day and bought a mini-floor jack/jack stand combo set. Never again!

At this point, I have a set ramps, 10 jack stands (2-2 ton units, I want 2 more) 2 mini floor jacks and a shop size floor jack. I always block the tires, set the brake, put it in gear and once it is raised, do my best to try to make it fall over before I get under it...

My dad told me to put the wheels under the truck if you take them off to work on it, to give it something to land on other than you if all else fails.

This is also a good argument for working on a concrete pad...

Yeah, I avoid the whole angle thing as well. Pretty much always work in the garage where it is level. Also, always shake test the jack stands once the vehicle is resting on them. Rather knock it off when I'm expecting it rather than have it happen on its own unexpectedly.

After lowering the truck onto the jack stands, as an extra safety precaution I always leave the jack in place.

I will park the vehicle across the driveway, one side in the road so it is sitting level

I also always give it a push to make sure the car is on the jack stands where it isn't going to slip off.

Placing the wheel/tire under the truck is also a good idea as was mentioned, if the truck does fall at least it will land on the tire first.

And always chock the tires that are staying on the ground

All good advice! I've even set the factory jack in place with light pressure as a safety, it is mechanical and can't sag like a hydraulic jack can... ;)

Safety first, cars are heavy!

B

I never use the tiny factory jack but I do have a nice bottle jack from a F-550, not saying where that came from, but now the stupid "free" jack is leaking from the top so I'll have to get another one. No idea what the capacity is but I'm sure it's way more than the Nissan needs.

Would be nice to have a garage with a level slab but living in a mobile home I don't have that convenience, would love to have one but for now I work outside.

Off topic one second, this is in my friends garage when I installed the short shifter in my sentra and this is about the biggest angle I've had the car off the ground and was working under it:

687ndh.jpg

Back on topic, sorry

At the front passenger side corner of the pic I see a floor jack.....and he was doing it in the grass or with wooden boards.

such a bad combination....

sad.

I have been known to go double jack stand when I work by myself in my garage just for safety and all my stands are 5 ton.

Chalking the wheels is also very important, dont assume your ebrake is perfect!

• Like 1

It is sad of course, I want to know what a 72 year old was doing removing a tranny by himself anyway ?

I've met several 70 year olds that were stronger and more fit than a lot of 20 to 30 year olds I see. Some guys don't give it up for a long time!

My guess here is that he was alone, didn't have a place to do it and thought he could get away with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it fell when he was tugging on the tranny to get it out.

Hopefully no one is thinking that they should have let gramps use the garage when he asked...

B

Unfortunate situation. Avoidable? Yes and many good reasons/solutions have already been posted. My personal solution I generally use? null_zps510ba546.jpg (though I know I'm privileged to have such access).

Unfortunate situation. Avoidable? Yes and many good reasons/solutions have already been posted. My personal solution I generally use? null_zps510ba546.jpg (though I know I'm privileged to have such access).