Orange paint on differential. Do I have an LSD?

I know typically they say that if you do have a LSD that it will have a sticker on the dif that says something about LSD fluid only. Mine is an 04 SE and doesn't have a sticker but does have an orange paint marking where the sticker typically is if there is one. What does this mean if anything?

Can you put up a picture of it? At some wrecking yards they will mark parts with paint to identify good parts from bad. If you want to know of you have lsd just jack up the rear end, release the parking brake and try and turn the rear wheel. Oh yeh make sure to chock your front wheels too.

What is the best jack point for the rear for this?

Here's how you jack up your car..

You go into the car, open the glove box,(yes the glove box, bare with me) there you find a mysterious and strange book called an "owners manual". Legend has it that Nissan actually put it there when they built the car. and if the rumors are true its a complete guide to working on your car. Its has directions on changing oil and how to jack up your car.

BEST OF ALL, IT HAS PICTURES!!!!!

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Relax dude, the OP had some valid questions. The owner's manual says nothing about replacing the crush washer or prefilling the oil filter or even removing the engine undercover to access the oil filter.

Here's how you jack up your car..

You go into the car, open the glove box,(yes the glove box, bare with me) there you find a mysterious and strange book called an "owners manual". Legend has it that Nissan actually put it there when they built the car. and if the rumors are true its a complete guide to working on your car. Its has directions on changing oil and how to jack up your car.

BEST OF ALL, IT HAS PICTURES!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh. :rofl:

Owners manual is great for some simple info, if its there. A lot of us here got our trucks second hand and sometimes original owners like to keep/lose things :shrug:

Hey smart ass I'm not stupid, I'm used to working on BMWs and the jack points are completely different.

Unless your last BMW was Le Mans race car, the jack points pretty much carry right on over.

The rear diff

Rear drive shafts tubes

Pinch seam under the driver and passenger doors.(Tire changing point for bottle jack)

The front cross member

And if you have to, the Lower control arm mounts.

Just saying, alot of this stuff is fairly universal.

Edited by ferrariowner123

things the owners manual doesn't tell you.....how much weight you can put on the roof rack....how to slide roof rack bars....what the wade depth is...what the approach /break over and departure angles are...how much suspension travel there is....etc...

it does however tell you how to set the clock in the radio that is no longer in the truck...

Unless your last BMW was Le Mans race car, the jack points pretty much carry right on over.

The rear diff

Rear drive shafts tubes

Pinch seam under the driver and passenger doors.(Tire changing point for bottle jack)

The front cross member

And if you have to, the Lower control arm mounts.

Just saying, alot of this stuff is fairly universal.

What?

That's how I always do it. The only way I can imagine jacking a Pathfinder from the diff would be a problem is if you were on the side of a hill trying to jack it up and the rear end tried to slide around (since there's no parking brake for the front wheels). If you were crazy enough to try it with a bottle jack, the bottle jack could tip over. Stick to level ground, use a floor jack, chock the front wheels, and drop it on jack stands before you mess with it.

I'm not sure what kind of BMW you had but was it solid axle in the back or independent? I can see how jacking up an IRS car would be a problem, since the diff's suspended by bushings that might not be designed to hold the car's weight. Pathfinders (except the new minivan ones) are solid axle, so unless you've got a seriously gimpy axle (apparently some Heaps have aluminum diff housings), it should be fine. I did a quick Google search and found a lot of people saying 'I heard someone say it's bad' but all of them did it anyway, and I couldn't find any horror stories.

Oddly enough, I did find a pic showing the diff in a Bimmer as a jack point. :shrug: I wouldn't take it as a professional opinion though given that the car in question is on its side in someone's yard. :fish: