Skid plates

hagge

Hi!

Is there any undercarriage protection available for the WD21?

I am just finishing my 3" SL, and then i will test it off road.

But it seems to me as the transfer case is very unprotected.

What is your opinion regarding that?

Anyone had any problems damaging the undercarriage?

The oil pan, y-pipe and (if auto) tranny pan are the major things that need protection. Everything else is stout enough to handle a little abuse. I used cutting boards on my 88 and they worked well. Bought some for my 93 but never installed them. They are better than metal because they'll slide on rocks rather than catch, and they are light weight too.

So there should be a stock transfer skid?

Mine seems to be missing...

I thought it looked like something were missing!

Should be. I was just under mine greasing all the zerks. Had I seen this I could of taken a pic for ya!

It's pretty stout too.... Mine is all sorts of scraped up and no dents or deflection...

I agree, I never struck mine, but when I removed it, I was impressed.

My buddies ford ranger has skids that feel like tin foil....

It's pretty stout too.... Mine is all sorts of scraped up and no dents or deflection...

I've been through a few, the little tabs crack or shear off sometimes and then they rattle. Never tore one off or completely destroyed one, just the ears that hold em on are the weak point.

I know for a fact that the gas tank skid can be doubled up and bolted in place with no modifications. I would assume the same would apply for the front skid. The transfer skid might be too thick and the mounting in an inopportune location.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is what you need. Factory option. Clearly a Nissan Terrano one, but probably an option for the Pathfinder too.

Covers everything including transfer case. very thick aluminium, with double thickness edges.

They come up from time to time in NZ, but fairly rare.

EDIT: how do I add photo?

Edited by DanielB

Thanks Precise1.

About 6mm plate, 12mm on the sides. Middle on mine is a tiny bit dented as you can see, but I think it'd be virtually impossible to buckle.

Rear mounting bracket as well as front bolts are another story - bit under-engineered IMO. I'm upgrading this - pretty easy - threading for bigger bolts in front, and might gusset the wimpy bracket.

If you get one of these, make sure you get the rear bracket, and if it exists, the middle bracket. Mine did not come with a middle bracket, and have to make something (stacking packers on the cross member). It may actually be integral to a different cross member, as I have seen someone suggest on another forum. The middle support is bolted through the oval slots about halfway down, in the reinforced sides.

Hey Precise1,

Are those flares factory widebody ones?

Are they hard plastic or soft plastic/rubber?

All our Terranos that have widebody, use colour coded flares (bad), and are attached to inside of flare (badder), and made of hard plastic (worst).

Looks good, I'd mount it!

B

Then these are badder and worst. :D

They are standard issue NA 1995 style, not widebody (although they are large as you can see).

They are hard plastic and are attached to the inside of the flare if I understand that correctly.

I don't have that old truck anymore but I still have the flares...

B

Ah, what a shame.

Somebody over here is making some custom flares that look like 'pumped guards', that he plans to sell. They allow larger tires with underlying guards trimmed.

Only downside is they will be fibreglass (kinda have to be with their size).

I've contemplated using my widebody flares (with a few mods) as plugs for a mold, and casting two pot rubber in to them. They would be changed to attach probably from the outside.

Never liked the look of the off-the-roll multipurpose stuff.

So there should be a stock transfer skid?

Mine seems to be missing...

I thought it looked like something were missing!

P/N 30409-33G00

GUARD-UNDER, TRANSFER

Some vehicles were not equipt with this part. As stated by others here it is very stout. At least twice as thick as the front skid plate.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the tips!

I can't find either stock or aftermarket plates here, i will try to fabricate something.

Regarding fender flares, i am also looking for something that is not off a roll, it's about 45USD/meter here...and ugly.

Do Bushwacker have anything that fit the Terrano / Pathfinder?