Just thought I would let you all know what is goin

wheel366

Well, since my mechanic picked up my truck, we have been finding more and more wrong with it. It turns out that when the previous owner had the timing belt changed his mechanic had one of the cams misaligned which did more damage than we had previously thought.

After going back and forth I decided to order the Jim Wolf S1 cams hoping to get a little more power than just the headers and exhaust would give me. Then, my mechanic called me to tell me that one cam was bent and that head was also shot. He was going to take the other head to a shop the next day to see if it was ok. Well, sure enough the other head was shot too. So, I didn't feel to bad ordering the performance cams but dishing out another $1000 for heads was not something I had in mind. The only good thing is that I have a friend who is the parts manager for the local Nissan dealership and I get stuff right above cost.

So, I've only paid $3500 for the truck. To recap, I put the calmini lift on, a borla cat back, thorley ceramic coated headers getting installed as we speak, new auto hubs, bridgestone revo's, K&N drop in filter, rocker arms, lifters, cams, heads, hoses, timing belt, driver side sun visor, new rods, new strut arms, new spindles, rear axle seal, new headlight and fog lights, rancho steering stabilizer and all new bushings in the front end.

I think that I have put almost double the amount in parts than I paid? Man, I must really like this truck. And I still want to change the intake, cat, chip, get the calmini steering kit and new speakers.

Just thought I would let you guys know what I sucker I am.

I also have a 2001 Audi S4. I'm almost afraid for the extended warranty to be up because I have huge plans for turning it into a track car.

I need a better paying job!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: I have to ask......

what was wrong with the heads ???

were they cracked , valve seats messed up , warped , guides worn????

What was so messed up in them that a good machine shop couldn't repair?????

For that $1000 you could have some major flowing heads with all the bells and whistles so what whas the reason for condemning them ?

:unsure::blink::wacko:

I must ask, how did you continue to drive through all this destruction of the heads?!?! Well, at least you'll have a hot perfoming sonuvagun when you're done! You mention wanting to do the "chip." There isn't a chip to do, but rather you have to pull the ECU and send it in to be reprogrammed at Jim Wolf. Have you looked into if this is going to present any issues regarding fuel and timing, etc. with your cam replacement? Just wondering if this is something that can be accounted for by Jim Wolf. Unfortunately, I'm in increasingly smog Nazi western WA where we can't get away with such things. But please keep us posted on your progress.

Seems to me, that since the heads are aluminum, they could easliy warp. A warped head is not an unlivable thing, but definately gets worse with time. Good luck with it, let us know how you like the new cams. I think I speak for a majority here, every dime you put into her is worth it down the road.

I know that my mechanic measured one of the heads and said that it wasn't even on a couple of the sides. Now, what that means, I am not sure. The other one was taken to a head shop and they said that they could weld some aluminum but that would cost about the same and there was no guarantee. I haven't been able to find any aftermarket heads so I didn't go that route.

As for the chip, thats sometime after the New Year when I start having money again. Still need to do all the other little things before then. I'm not sure what the timing issues or emission issues are going to be. That is something that I'll tackle when the time comes. I would assume that since I bought the cams from Jim Wolf, they would be able to account for the different timing, fuel, etc...

The cams came in today but that doesn't do my any good since I won't have the heads until sometime next week and some of the hoses are still backordered.

Will keep you posted.

Rich

WOW!

If the heads were so messed up that they couldn't be repaired I would look into what caused this to happen. (were they tourqued down properly, severely overheated)

Have your mechanic check the mating surface on the engine block and closely inspect the head bolts.

It would suck big time if you bolted your brand spanking new heads onto a block that is in need of decking or if you used streched out or cracked studs. If it was heat that caused the heads to be that warped you should resolve that issue before you go any further.

Do it once, do it right and you should be a happy camper.

Something caused this to happen and if you don't find the problem now you might be back with head problems in a few months.

Don't want to sound like a drag but do some detective work. :rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with Boris... What was the cause ? Also 'it wasn't even on a couple of sides' makes me scratch my head, and I'm a machinist.... Not to say the guy is ripping you off, or that it wont run merrily till doomsday, but that explanation doesn't say much. I do not specialize in head work; maybe it's a special term ? Nah...

Anyway, good luck and hope she is trouble free for a long while !!

Bernard

• 3 months later...

It's now 5 months, and I still haven't gotten my truck back!!!!!! Nothing has been done since I bought the heads, cams, etc...

I've been waiting 3 months for the pistons to come out and have new rods put on. Since when does it take 3 months to take pistons out????????????????????????? And to top it off, some guy hit my S4 in the same spot I just got fixed from the last accident!

I should sell both cars and get a SCION!

I feel your pain Bud... While not as bad, I had a similiar experience with an autobody shop receintly... I suggest visiting the mechanic and explaining that in order for the pistons to come out and the new rods to go in, you actually have to LIFT A WRENCH or two; they don't just pop out on their own due to boredom !! Listen to the 7 lame excuses he comes up with, ignore them, and tell him to either work on the truck, or you will have it towed to a mechanic with a less holistic approach the vehicle repair... At least you have another car to drive though, I've ridden the superbike in the rain too often this winter... Good luck.

Bernard

I'm over there at least once a week and get all teh same excuses. My father was there last night and he said, I can have them out on Monday. Now, if my memory serves me correctly, he's been saying Monday everytime I'm there. "Oh, I'm taking out this Monday". I'm starting to get the Monday Blues!!!

That's ridiculous. Do like 88 said, or better yet yank it from the shop if you can find another you know or was recommended. If the guy has been a flake for this long, I doubt its going to get better. Ask around, and move on if you have to.

get your rig outta there, even if he does do the work now, it will be just to get you off his back, and I doubt the work will be done right.

I'd call a lawyer, and if you have given this guys any money at all file a civil complaint. dont even think about the better business bureau, they are a private organization and really have no power whatsoever. if the guys is a member of the BBB, than you can log a complaint against him, but if he is not a member than they cant collect or spread information about him.

file a complaint in court if you have givin this guy one cent, even if it was for something that he did actually do.

But get your truck outta there!

Seems to me, that since the heads are aluminum, they could easliy warp. A warped head is not an unlivable thing, but definately gets worse with time. Good luck with it, let us know how you like the new cams. I think I speak for a majority here, every dime you put into her is worth it down the road.

I would agree.. but don't do what I did and take someone's word for it that some parts "looked" new (h2o pump and t-belt) (they were only a year old) and kaput! POOF. down went the h20 pump yesterday.....

I say.. kudos to you for loving your Pathy that much.. and darn I wanna HEAR it after all that work!! It's gunna be a BEAST!! -bounce-

If it's not done by Weds, I'm just gonna go get it. As for the Lawyer, it won't do any good. It's not a shop, it's a 44 year old guy who does this out of his parents house and is more of an Illegitimate business. Now, the guys is great mechanic. He does awesome work and has a great deal of knowledge. Ne's not lazy. He is always working one somebody's car, it's just that that somebody's car is not mine. I would show up one day, and he's doing breaks on some POS. The next time, he has a Montero's dash apart and so on. It's just me getting to shaft right up the stink dot. I have paid him for the new rods and for his guy to put them on but I'm gonna have to raise hell.

Unfortunately, he isn't a guy you can yell and and he'll work faster. It just doesn't do any good. He just yells back and nothing gets accomplished

Yes, he is lazy. Your rig takes time to do correctly, it's not a brake job that any schmo can do in his (parent's) driveway in an afternoon. If you're looking for work, I hear we lost the Pope ~ you might be a good candidate, seeing how you have the patience of a saint... ;)

Get it out of there and to a reputable, competent shop. Saving money like you're doing costs alot more down the road. Let's say he's working on your lower end & Billy Bob comes by with an emergency Cherry Bomb replacement on his clapped-out '73 Duster. He drops what he's doing & goes to town on that, knowing he can make enough spending money to go out to the "Pig & Poke" for a few brews that night. He then resumes working on yours, forgetting exactly where he was. When do you find out? Probably when a rod comes through the side of your case... :nono:

Tell the shop owner that your lawyer will be the next person to talk to him about it....not you. :)

And tell him he'll be there MONDAY! He seems to like Mondays. :contract:

• 1 month later...

YAY! Got my rods done and my pistons all cleaned up with new rings. Finally. I was told that tomorrow he is going to hone (SP?) the cylinders, put the pistons back in and put the heads on and put the oil pan back on. After that, he is going to put the headers on. He said that he is going to do the cams last. I'll try and take pics during it all.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, 7 months and still no truck! This month I have owned the truck 2 years.

Mechanic = 15 months (total for the 3 times he has had it)

Me = 9 months

My good friend is a lawyer. Since this guy works out of his house and isn't a legitimate business, the only thing I can do is call the police to let them know that he is running this out of his house.

I run into the "my mom is good friends with his mom" scenario. I was told that if I do that, I have to find another place to live.

Anybody want to take me in?

My good friend is a lawyer. Since this guy works out of his house and isn't a legitimate business, the only thing I can do is call the police to let them know that he is running this out of his house.

I run into the "my mom is good friends with his mom" scenario. I was told that if I do that, I have to find another place to live.

Anybody want to take me in?

Well, sorry may, I guess that's on you. I'd have had a tow truck there long ago. Good luck!

I thought about that, but I wouldn't be able to put it back together and all of the mechanics I've spoken to said that they won't take on the job since it has already been started.

Have you tried threatening him ? You know, with say, a baseball bat to the knee cap ? How about you just tell him to buy it from you at running condition value, and then you can go get another one ? Dont want to go to far here, but I think your mom has her priorities F'ed up. How does she think its ok that someone keeps your truck for more than 11/2 year ? How about she talks to her 'friend' about leaning on her son to get the job done ? You have far more patience than I do. GL

B