What were you driving in 1987 (if you were old enough to drive) ?

ahardb0dy

My dad said his Fiat 128 (red 4 door sedan)smoked 4spd 258ci gremlins. And Datsons (I'm guessing 510s)

Now all we need is a Pinto and a Vega and we'll have all of the 70's eco cars. Or maybe a Monza.

You should be Proud PathyRider, theres not many folks that admit to having a American Motors Product.

I've never heard of a 360 Pacer, Hornets yeah but I think the best a pacer or gremlin got was a 304?

My first car (before 87) was a V8 mustang 2, 1975 model, and my GF back than had this @!*% ugly BROWN Ford Pinto !! YUCK !!!

I used to race this guy in HS all the time with the mustang 2 he had a V8 Monza.

At my job back than at the 4x4 shop we had a Pinto station wagon as one of our shop cars, one day I had to take four 33's out to a dealer in it.

The shop before I started working there built a yellow pinto station wagon with 4 wheel steering sitting on 35/17.50 Mickey Thompson tires and it had a 327 in it, the mechanic that built it channeled the body so you couldn't see the frame.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I've never heard of a 360 Pacer, Hornets yeah but I think the best a pacer or gremlin got was a 304?

Ok, sorry, apparently it was a dealership upgrade and not a straight factory offering. Still, you could buy one brand new with the 360 from a couple of dealers...

http://books.google.com/books?id=JHVaQFDrx_MC&pg=RA1-PT51&lpg=RA1-PT51&dq=amc+pacer+360&source=bl&ots=d06f1jwk_x&sig=Tu2hZre5KVWPAk6UEtF9Z2ycv88&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BicUUKqsD8W6rQH_mYG4DQ&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBTge#v=onepage&q=amc%20pacer%20360&f=false

B

I had a v8 monza mirage and it was bad ass!!monza-2.jpg

I used to walk by one just like that everday. But it had a cowl hood and no decals. Same wheels and everything other wise.

If you think aboot it. Those are some great factory set up racecars from the gitgo. I mean v8, rwd, manuel trannys and they were smaller then novas.

Edited by nismothunder

Ok, sorry, apparently it was a dealership upgrade and not a straight factory offering. Still, you could buy one brand new with the 360 from a couple of dealers...

http://books.google....cer 360&f=false

B

There was LS6 powered '73 Nova's. Kingman will probly disagree but you could buy those motors (GM's 2nd most powerful motor at the time) for a grand. But you gotta think 450hp in a 3300lbs car did you really need that?

http://www.motionperformance.com/motion.html

http://www.nickeychicago.net/

Some neat stuff in those links.

Gotta fear the backword K...

My cousin had a 70 chevelle SS with the LS6 that he bought new, my dad and other relatives told me it was such a beast that you just touched the gas and it was gone!! He drove the car for 2 years, than garaged it, he would start it once in a while with gas in a gallon container instead of leaving gas in the tank. The car had 2 problems a rust spot in the rear pillar and a rip in the seat, he didn't want to fix it because he wanted it to be all original. He sold it about 25 years ago for $21 K, the guy that bought it, sold it a week later for $31K. He offered it to me for $6500 but I was like 14 a t the time.

• 4 months later...

In 87 I was rollin a badass BMX bike as I was 12. My first set of wheels didn't come till 1992, which was a 1985 Toyota Celica. That bad boy had just been freshly painted PINK, just before I bought it. I mean what other car would a 17 y/o boy, I mean MAN, want to drive than a pink one. I'm not talking bright and bold hello kitty pink, it was an ugly pinky/purple color. Only good thing was at night it looked white. It was promptly painted charcoal grey. I drove it around for about three years then the continuous flow of cars, trucks and suv's started.

in 87, I was 17 and freedom had a name : Dodge Aries LOL...boy did I beat the thing up... Needed a screwdriver to start it (to put the choke on) and ended up selling it for 100$ (paid 400), 1 1/2 year later with a burnt head gasket... This was the good old times !

85-89_Dodge_Aries_sedan.jpg

:laugh:

Edited by fleurys

I don't have a pic of my first car. Junior in high school and I was given a 4 door Ford Granada. Talk about a chick magnet.

I was actually bummed because I was going to but this 65 Galaxy 2 door. It was for $250. The people backed out.

In'87 I was 8 years old and still riding 2 wheels, probably a blue frame with white mag wheels BMX knockoff from KMart that I beat the snot out of jumping it. My first car was a 93 Mazda MX-3 5-speed, after learning to drive in my Mom's 80 Delta 88 two-door with a 307 and TH350. That was a nice car. Learned stick in my Dad's 84 Nissan truck. No power steering or brakes, no A/C. Bare bones, but it taught me to love shifting my own gears.

That MX-3 was about the size of a roller skate, but it got me back and forth to college for 3 years (and I regularly toted my drum set in it) when I sold it to my girlfriend. (later wife) She sold it to her Mom in 2004, with about 150K on the clock and my mother-in-law killed it in 2008 by bringing it to a less than reputable shop that disassembled the entire top end of the engine before telling her it needed a new head gasket, pay $1200 to repair it or $1000 to get it out of the shop. I was driving my current Pathfinder at the time, that's when I gave it to her and bought a Jeep Liberty CRD. That cheap little car sure went a long way in 11 years.

My sister had a 2 door Ford Granada, baby blue, so much play in the steering one night I was driving it and got pulled over, the cop thought I was drunk as I was swerving over the center line, I explained it was the steering and was let go. I had not been drinking either ! LOL

In'87 I was 8 years old and still riding 2 wheels, probably a blue frame with white mag wheels BMX knockoff from KMart that I beat the snot out of jumping it.

I had that one! It was a lighter blue and the wheels were like solid hubcaps!

Edit: the Huffy Sigma!

3ADD5292-4125-4076-9C96-E10EE1880FC1-473-00000037D17BBCB3.jpg

Haha! It looked kinda like that except the wheels were an off-white five-spoke mag, and it had the rotor on the handlebar connection so you could turn the bars without binding the brake lines. I have absolutely no idea what happened to that bike; I think it was the last bike I had. Can't remember one after that.

1987. . . I had two vehicles at that time: a 1981 Honda CX500 Custom and a 1973 (? IIRC) Honda Civic Cvcc. The bike was my first taste of vehicular freedom. The Cvcc was f'n awesome. The 1.17L four banger would positively scream at WOT. And that little 5 speed transaxle was what I learned to drive stick with. Too bad they tended to warp the head and blow gasses back and forth between #2 and #3 cylinders. . . identical to the orange car in this link http://www.netcarshow.com/honda/1975-civic_cvcc/

• 2 weeks later...