New issues...

NissanNismoZ

If I don't touch the brakes with it parked for a few days the booster does still have vacuum unpess I pump the brakes several times or one good full on pump. Bit now it runs at such a low rpm it usually doesn't have much vacuum by rhw time it dies..if that makes sense?

It never got hot..the temp gauge hasn't touched the half mark.. ill try the brake booster hose plug in a few. I backed out my PS tensioner too far and can't get it back in. (I was checking my timing this morning and broke the AC tensioner so I'm removing my AC belt until I get a new tensioner assembly.)

I found out this morning:

My timing is right on the dot with the belt.

My spark plugs are white; indicating its running too lean.

Going to try the blow-by clamp and brake booster plug as soon as I can run it again.

Thank you everyone! I will say that the vacuum is great enough to suck up a whole half can of seafoam quicker than I could count to 3..

So..after it being parked last night I pulled the brake booster hose and it made a loud POP and hiss..indicating there's vacuum there. (It made me.jump)

And removing that didn't change how it ran.

Pinching the IACV blow.by hose didn't rev it up. It did nothing..so what I gathered from that is:

It has plenty of vacuum.

There is no leaks.

Thanks guys. Maybe we're on to something?

Running too lean indicates that there is either too much air or too little fuel. Does your EGR valve work properly? You should check it for sticking. The other thing that could possibly go wrong is the injectors not working properly. Is your MAF sensor wiring good? Do you still have that MAF sensor issue? Check all the ground ports to make sure they are there and not missing.

The EGR makes a purring noise when running so I assume so..?

All injectors are clicking..tomorrow I'm going to check fuel pressure.. anyone happen to know the PSI it's supposed to be at??

Thanks!

MAF is good. No.problems with it anymore..

I shall check that I'm the morning!

I'm also going to check my fuel pressure before the filter..I have a strange feeling that tyw fuel pump is causing all this.. just because of how lean its actually running..

Thanks guys. I appreciate it all! Will report back after I get more information

Uploading a better video.. It's a full video to hear the full running of it.. Also..i noticed there's a ticking noise that i cant figure out what it is...

You'll hear it in the video...

Thanks guys..i'm hoping the ticking isnt anything serious....

Okay..Tungsten:

The EGR cleaning helped a LOT.

It actually improved bottom end...BUT it still purrs....slightly.

Had a friend come over..and he looks at it..and just instantly says: That's gotta be a timing problem.

He instantly advances the timing more and more and now it STILL bogs at WOT from idle.. BUT It bogs and then accelerates instead of JUST bogging.

He said it acts like it needs more advanced, but its against the adjustment mark. He advised me to have someone pull the dizzy and turn it a spline so it can be advanced farther?

After he adjusted it, i noticed it instantly wanted to spin tires and acceleration was improved a LOT.

The problem is still there will the hill climbing..but..i just want your opinions on if this should really be done??

Thanks everyone. I think we could be on to something. :)

Edited by NissanNismoZ

Actually..the bolt to the dizzy wasnt all that tight when i removed it...(had a shop time it last...)

This has been gradual, and getting worse..and worse....and worse.

The timing belt is right on the dot as far as it goes..

I'm a little skeptical..but as i said..the acceleration did improve a LOT the bit he was able to advance it. There's still some drag up hills, but not nearly as bad.

I'm not going to say this fixed it, but it definitely helped.

A friend of mine is going to take pathy for a day or two and have his mechanic that owes him look at it if i cant get it fixed completely..

This may sound really stupid, but have you cleaned the throttle body? My 96 would struggle up hills, etc, no matter how hard I pushed the throttle it would just go at the same slow speed up hills (kinda like a diesel). I cleaned the throttle body & now it freaking flies up hills! Just a thought.

• Like 1

DO NOT under ANY circumstances change the position of the gear in the distributor from the factory specified location. The dots have to be in line for the timing to function properly.

So..today. the mechanic looked at it..and immediately looked at the distributor.. he toyed around with it and told me the timing advance has went out.. so I could see how everything can check out OK but that.. so now I have to shell out 200$ for a new one..great!

Just ran a compression test..and..all cylinders are no more than 3psi of each other, averaging at 135psi.. so compression is good?

It died on me at the stop lights on a busy street and wouldn't move.. wouldn't start back.. gave it a few and it ran with little to no power until I got to the shop..

The computer, when i connected it (OBD 1 doesnt have many features...) id give it gas, enough for it to try stalling out again, and it said the fuel pump was failing..then it went back to normal..i did it again and it said the Airflow CKT (MAF i guess) failed, then went to normal..i dont know how accurate that is..but it gives more information.

My shop teacher still has the pathy..and i let him drive it..he said it drives just like his Mazda Tribute did when the exhaust was stopped up..so im going to trust that and get a new muffler...(he doesnt get paid 60$/hr for nothing..right?)

If this doesnt help, im going to see about checking fuel pressure when he has a bay open again.

But yes, its running VERY lean and acts like it is starving for fuel..so im not sure..

I removed the valve cover to check the lifters and i forgot to (it was 4am...) put a harness back to being tied up..and took it for a test drive and burned a wiring harness to the exhaust..UGH!

It's apparently one that is on the METER fuse, because it took the gauges out (had a dim battery light left on, other than that the gauges were DEAD)

Any idea what harness this is? It's one that runs beside the O2 sensor in the engine bay...

Thanks.

Going to state the obvious here because I didn't see it mentioned, have you changed the fuel filter? Fuel pressure will be good on both sides of a clogged filter if the engine is not running.

Too bad you bought a new distributor, there is no spark advance on those, advance is cotrolled by the computer.

Fixitman: you do have a point!

Yeah..luckily I was able to get my money back..

ill go ahead and try another fuel filter..as this one is a year old and its possible to be clogged now.

Going to pick it up tomorrow and ill start progress on it again.

mlu: so far..all gaskets are good. :) thanks for the idea though!!

So far.. I'm at:

Monday : Having O2 sensor replaced and muffler changed. Along with repairing melted wiring.

If muffler does NOT improve performance, a new fuel filter is going to be installed.

If that doesn't do it..then it HAS to be the fuel pump..

Thanks everyone.

Lets hope it'll make the 40mile trip home for me to do the work to it..